Elvis and Steve in Spain, 31 Oct 2003

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis and Steve in Spain, 31 Oct 2003

Post by johnfoyle »

Subject: Elvis and Steve in Spain--quick note.
To: COSTELLO-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

Good afternoon, all. Just a quick note to say that I really enjoyed
the
two concerts they played in Spain. Although the crowd was warmer
(probably the most enthusiastic bunch I've ever seen, actually) and his
voice was just a tad stronger in Madrid, I think he felt more energetic
or at least adventurous in Granada. After the show, looking at the set
lists SN had taped to his piano, Josemi and I wondered if it was
perhaps
a list of songs EC planned to NOT play that evening. Personal
highlight
for me was a slowed down guitar slapping Toledo. Listening to the
radio
on the trip home today Spanish Radio 3 announced that on Sunday at 2:00
they'd broadcast a special program on Costello's show in Madrid--I'll
try my hand at recording it.

I want to publicly thank Josemi and his very patient wife Esther for
being absolutely great company before and after the show. Also,
Norwegian Ronny sends out a warm greeting to everyone--He still has a
few weeks left on holiday in southern Portugal, but from the smile on
his face after the show, I think he was glad he'd made the drive.

Andrew.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and Steve in Spain--quick note.

Post by Man out of Time »

Review of the Granada Concert with Steve Nieve:

http://hemeroteca.abcdesevilla.es/nav/N ... 1/104.html

"Elvis Costello inaugura el Festival de Jazz de Granada

GRANADA. El británico Elvis Costello ofreció antedeanoche, en el Palacio de Congresos de la ciudad de Granada, un concierto con el que inauguró el Festival de
Jazz.

Durante su actuación presentó el que es su último trabajo titulado «North». El concierto se desarrolló solamente acompañado de su guitarra y un piano, lo que dió cierto aire de intimidad a la velada. Su nuevo disco recoge canciones de amor que el autor compuso tras su divorcio el pasado invierno. Para interpretar estas canciones, Costello, al que se conoce por sus intensos conciertos junto al grupo The Atractions, tan sólo se hizo acompañar por el pianista de esa formación Steve Nieve.
Juntos ofrecieron al público un concierto casi de cámara. Durante las dos horas y media que Costello permaneció en el escenario, interpretó su nuevo disco, aunque sin olvidar los capítulos dorados de su carrera. Para las canciones nuevas más desgarradas e íntimas, como «Fallen» o «Still», se apoyó exclusivamente en el piano con una
interpretación excepcional.

En los temas más movidos abrazó sendas guitarras, acústica y eléctrica. Para finalizar el concierto, hizo sonar éxitos como «Almost blue» o «Peace, love and understanding». Este recital significó la primera actuación en Andalucía del británico, figura en los años setenta de la denominada «nueva ola» y que treinta años después es un respetado artista que acumula varios premios Grammys y que igual hace un disco de pop que otro de country, de jazz o de música clásica.
Este concierto estaba incluido dentro del programa paralelo del XXIV Festival de Jazz de Granada denominado World Jazz."

Or in English via Google Translate:

" Elvis Costello opens Granada Jazz Festival

GRANADA. The British offered last night Elvis Costello, at the Palacio de Congresos de Granada city, a concert which opened the Festival of Jazz.

During his performance he presented his latest work entitled 'North'. The concert took place only with his guitar and a piano, which gave an air of intimacy to the evening. His new album features love songs that the author wrote after her divorce last winter. To interpret these songs, Costello, who is known for his intense concert with the group The Attractions, was accompanied only by pianist Steve Nieve such training.

Together offered audiences a concert almost camera. During the two hours that Costello remained on stage, played his new album, but without forgetting the golden chapters of his career. For the new songs more torn and intimate, as "Fallen" and "Still" relied exclusively on the piano with an exceptional performance.

The topics embraced busiest paths guitars, acoustic and electric. To end the concert, sounded hits like "Almost Blue" or "Peace, love and understanding." This concert marked the first British performance of Andalusia, is contained in the seventies of the so called "new wave" and thirty years later is a respected artist who collects various Grammys and that just makes a pop album to another country, jazz or classical music. This concert was included within the parallel program XXIV Granada Jazz Festival called World Jazz. "

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and Steve in Spain, 31 Oct 2003

Post by johnfoyle »

So good to finally read this ! :D :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

That link seems to point to a changing set of clips. This one seems to work now for EC's Granada show, and hopefully will work going forwards:

Indyrock.es

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

VERY COOL as that looks like the ONLY time DUST was played in duo format, from my quick WIKI check!