19. ...And In Every Home
20. Seconds Of Pleasure
21. Beyond Belief
22. Man Out Of Time
Encore 1
23. Town Cryer
24. Everyday I Write The Book
25. Pump It Up - no guitar
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
dombologna

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Ann Arbor ,MI Oct. 30th 2016

Post by dombologna »

Did anyone get an audio recording? I had my phone recording the show but didn't notice that the memory filled after 1 hour, 40 minutes. So I missed the last 45 minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steven tweets -

Some thoughts on last night's Ann Arbor show. The good news and the bad can be summed up in the opening song: “On Your Way Down." Fluidity in the setlist is obviously welcome, and this song in particular is a tremendous choice.The slinky vibe is more in the Imposters’ wheelhouse than, say, a peppy sprint through “And In Every Home” will ever be.And Kitten and YahZarah were born to sing those silky Toussaint backing lines -- the vocal arrangement, as always here, is superb.Alas, though, it didn’t sound good – because the tour’s sound problems continue. Apparently Chicago sounded atrocious; Ann Arbor did too.The show was a rhythm-section soup: Steve needn’t have gone to the trouble of playing all those notes – most of them couldn't be heard.

It was comical when, on “Pump It Up,” EC’s guitar went dead – a guitarless “Pump” sounded no different from what we heard all night long! But “You’ll Never Be A Man” would sound marvelous through earmuffs, and “Moods For Moderns” shimmies wonderfully. Costello’s guitar solos on “Shabby Doll” and "Everyday I Write The Book," too -- to the extent you could hear them -- were tremendous.“Seconds of Pleasure” also made a welcome return, though it was a near-trainwreck. It was fun watching EC try to will the band back in line.You know it’s an odd show when “Detectives” proves a highlight.The odd mix brought Davey’s bass up high; his wandering lines sounded like the gurgles that drowning girl in the lake made as she expired.The song also saw a brief comeback of the police siren. I can’t quite say why this was so welcome, but it was.

EC, before “You Little Fool”: “You know, when you’re first in love you kind of think it’s gonna last forever, and then you find out that doesn’t work out. And then you see somebody falling down that same hole, and you want to grab them and say, ‘It’s okay. It’s gonna be all right.’ And then I wrote this song about a girl I used to know.I saw her falling under the spell of a highly inappropriate man. And then I caught my reflection in the mirror…”

Overall: tons of fun, but let’s hope the day off due to the Pittsburgh cancellation finds the band doing some tweaking of the sound mix.Fingers crossed the songs they work on while doing this are “Boy With A Problem” and “Little Savage”!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and ... -ann-arbor

Review: Elvis Costello returns to the “Bedroom” in Ann Arbor

By Gary Graff, The Oakland Press

10/31/16

ANN ARBOR -- Elvis Costello’s last scheduled appearance at the Michigan Theater, back in the summer of 2014, was a solo affair. And he lost his voice after the second song -- though he did return that September to make good on the date.

But the veteran British singer and songwriter was in full voice and fiery from on Sunday, Oct. 30, when he came back to the Michigan, this time with his band the Imposters, for a high-octane, conceptually satisfying epic of a show.

Costello’s Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers tour is celebrating his 1982 “Imperial Bedroom” album, a widely acknowledged masterwork in his nearly 40-year catalog, but not in the way most artists commemorate key albums. Rather than playing it in its entirety and front-to-back, Costello and company mixed most of its songs into a two-hour and 15-minute, 27-song set, framing and contextualizing them amidst favorites from Costello’s releases between 1977-83. The result was, essentially, an Elvis Costello & the Attractions greatest hits show -- and rest assured nobody in the nearly sold out crowd was complaining about that.

Costello and the Imposters -- which included Attractions veterans Steve Nieve an keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums, along with bassist Davey Faragher and two female backing vocalists -- came out storming, romping through Allen Toussaint’s “On The Way Down” and an R&B-flavored “Lipstick Vogue” before taking a first trip into the “Bedroom” with the bouncy “The Loved Ones.” Costello, sporting a dark suit and dark pink fedora, introduced many of the night’s songs with brief anecdotes; he recalled a surreal cab adventure into Mexico, “before there was a wall or anything,” during the late 70s before playing “Accidents Will Happen,” and before a bluesy treatment of “Tears Before Bedtime” he revealed that despite some characteristically dark lyrics, he “thought we’d made a bright, summery record like the Monkees” with “Imperial Bedroom.”

For fans it was a dream troll deep into “Imperial Bedroom” for tracks such as “Shabby Doll,” “Pidgin English,” “You Little Fool,” “Human Hands,” the gentle “Town Cryer” and the Beatlesque “...And In Every Home.” The deft pairing of “Beyond Belief” and “Man Out Of Time” neatly fused that album’s two best tracks, while “Alison,” sung by Costello and the two backing singers only and morphing, as usual, into the Miracles’ “Tracks Of My Tears,” was a moving high point.

The show roared to a close with an extended rendition of “Everyday I Write The Book” -- Costello’s first single after “Imperial Bedroom” -- a stomping “Pump It Up,” during which Costello played piano when his guitar cord malfunctioned, and the anthemic “What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” whose resonance nine days before the election was so clear he didn’t even make any references.

It was a stirring celebration of a strong body of work -- stunning, really, when you consider it represented just a six-year span that produced seven albums. And it was just as impressive that Costello and his cohorts could still deliver it with the passion, energy and ferocity they displayed on Sunday in Ann Arbor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Some Audience video on Youtube thanks to ZUrlocker.

- Lipstick Vogue (3:39)

- Accidents Will Happen (1:01)

- Watching The Detectives (7:00)

- Pump It Up (1:17) - guitar problems

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »