verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Atlantic City, NJ , October 22 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe it will be for the New Yorkers!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Maybe it will be for the New Yorkers!
Ouch
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blog.theborgata.com/2016/10/25/c ... room-tour/

Concert Review: Elvis Costello’s Imperial Bedroom Tour

BY: Carie York
25 October 2016

Since first bursting onto the punk scene in the 1970’s, Elvis Costello has been making music for nearly 50 years. That may seem like simple fact, but it took on a special relevance for the large crowd that saw Costello play Saturday at the Borgata Event Center.

Recently, Costello, now 62, has been drawing on a song catalog that has gained him distinction as one of the best songwriters of the last 50 years for a series of solo dates he dubbed a “Detour.” In that vein, Costello used his Borgata Event Center appearance to launch a two-week set of dates with his band the Imposters dubbed “The Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers Tour,” highlighting his 1982 album Imperial Bedroom.

For an enthusiastic Borgata crowd, it was chance to see Costello’s emotional and deepest songwriting at his best, interspersed with just enough go-to hits to keep the crowd singing along.

Amazingly, even some of his most recognizable tunes were presented by Costello at their rawest and most haunting. A key example was the version of his 1977 hit “Allison.” In recent tour dates, Costello has been performing the song as an acoustic version – just he and his guitar. At the Borgata Event Center, however, he pulled out and electric guitar and had his two capable back-up singers from his band the Imposters join him at the microphone (dubbed Josephine), turning a pop ballad into an emotion-laced tour de force. It was, perhaps, a unique performance for the night’s audience.

It quickly became apparent, however, that Costello’s performances are always unique, as he moved through his crowded catalog. Though backed ably by the Imposters, the show really was Costello alone with his collection of guitars propped up behind him (he may have set a record for guitar switches, choosing a different one for nearly every song).

The result was a two-hour collection of his songs performed with this night’s interpretation of the lyrics and everything they say about love, how we treat each other and Costello’s world. It’s hard to imagine that anything he performed is performed exactly the same way at any other venue. Even for a hit like “Watching the Detectives,” which Costello has stripped of most of its pop trappings, it felt like this audience was the only one that will hear it performed in exactly that way.

Throughout the night, Costello dipped heavily into Imperial Bedroom (ranked No. 38 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of The 100 Greatest Albums of the 80’s) with songs like “Shabby Doll,” “Man Out of Time,” “Kid About it” and “You Little Fool.”

The show created a rare chance to experience Costello’s storytelling as heard on that particular disk. But then Costello could whip out something like 1994’s “Seconds of Pleasure,’ telling the audience that all the songs of the night were part of the same story. Or as Costello said when announcing the tour, “the songs that led in and out of that velvet-trimmed playhouse.”,

Still, even with as varied a song list as Costello has to draw from, he doesn’t forget to draw on his biggest hits. That was especially true near the end of the night when he performed 1979’s “Accidents Will Happen” followed soon after with his set closing 1983 hit “Everyday I Write the Book,” both of which he did in a more faithful rendition of the original recordings.

And then came, perhaps, one of the greatest encores ever seen at the Event Center, as after a night of contemplative song stylings, Costello rocked out with “Pump it Up” and “(What’s So Funny About) Peace Love & Understanding” back to back. It showed exactly why Costello has been one of the most versatile and interesting artists of the last 50 years.

And the next time he goes on stage, he’ll probably prove it again – in an entirely different way.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Well, some sad news to report. With the demise of SONY number nine (or whatever he was) brotherapostle assumed role of DIGITAL taper. First time ever he had a problem, and it seems we only have ALMOST BLUE to shows end as a friend helps with the transfer today. I fear we have NO OTHER STEALTH IN AC THIS NIGHT :( SO SOMETHING BEATS NONE.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sorry for the loss of recording, ( been there too many times :oops: ) BA but as we all know, there are only a few die hard heroes who make the effort to preserve these amazing moments - and I'm extremely grateful to all the US and European fans who share those moments so freely . Anything will be a bonus thanks for your efforts and the website tapersection may be useful for you if you have any technical queries about your kit !
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well at least you caught Seconds of Pleasure, which may be very one of the only times he does it

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Well at least you caught Seconds of Pleasure, which may be very one of the only times he does it

Dave
Good bright side logic Dave!
& thank u sulky. Yes, we all know the sadness of lost when you thought you had. I still await someone anyone with a full 4/22/5 Beacon, first time with Hubert! I lost 45 minutes and subsequently never shared the night at all.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:Well at least you caught Seconds of Pleasure, which may be very one of the only times he does it

Dave
Good bright side logic Dave!
& thank u sulky. Yes, we all know the sadness of lost when you thought you had. I still await someone, ANYONE with a full 4/22/5 Beacon, the first time with Hubert! I lost 45 minutes and subsequently never shared the night at all. :oops: :oops:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Almost Blue to nights end up at the usual spot. Please let me know how it is. I can't listen till Monday.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

It sounded ok to these ears. Sadly it's incomplete. Ah technology. So far, the Ann Arbor show is the bellwether. Then again, there's not a lot to choose from.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sorry chickendinna I know u always loved the brilliant analog recordings that were MY BENCHMARK. :lol: :lol: :lol: