"Elvis Costello's NY Soul"- a thoughtful piece from today's NY Times

Pretty self-explanatory
Jack of All Parades

"Elvis Costello's NY Soul"- a thoughtful piece from today's NY Times

Post by Jack of All Parades »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/arts/ ... ctionfront

Well worth spending some time with this piece-an interesting proposition that even piqued EC's interest- see the preceding topic.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Re: "Elvis Costello's NY Soul" a thoughtful piece in today's paoer

Post by sulky lad »

The photo from the SNL must be from the rehearsal since Pete isn't wearing the infamous "Thanks, Malc" tee-shirt
johnfoyle

Re: "Elvis Costello's NY Soul"- a thoughtful piece from today's NY Times

Post by johnfoyle »

The writer of the profile commented on a EC fan page on f/book-

Wendell Jamieson - They got half way through it ( A Boy With A Problem ) during a soundcheck at Pier 84 in '82. They started it a few times and kept giving up in the middle, if I remember. No way to see if EC or members of the band were displeased. I thought we'd hear it that night but no such luck.
EC told me several of the songs had never been performed live. Perhaps he forgot. And I forgot a crucial journalism maxim: if your mother says she loves you, check it out!
He also said he first saw NYC while coming from Philly, but a check of your site showed it was New Haven. His folks confirmed.
In fact, there was so much more I wanted to add but couldn't fit. A whole passage about "Wise up Ghost" had to go for space. It would have given you and your group whole new arenas to try and find my mistakes!

E - Post the deleted parts here!

Wendell Jamieson - I think that's against the rules! Generally, he compared WUG to IB, saying they were both very much products of the studio, and that the songs morphed in surprising ways when played live. He said the debut at Brooklyn Bowl was the first time he'd played with all the Roots. He said it was one of the single best performances in which he was ever involved.

E - Against the rules? Bummer. I thought only cubicle monkeys like me didn't own their "work product".

Wendell Jamieson - Not rules, per se... But if I trimmed something out of a reporter's story and he or she pubbed it elsewhere, I might be cross. But you get the gist.

After I shared the 'Problem ( Berkeley, July 17 1982) recording - http://www.mediafire.com/file/9gb17xr0a ... roblem.mp3

Wendell Jamieson-

Ooooh. That's a nice performance of "Boy with a Problem." And it sounds pretty played-in, too, as if they were doing it every night. I'm curious if anyone has the New Year's Eve 1981-82 show, specifically the "Lipstick Vogue" opening, in which Pete repeated the drum intro several more times than on the record as the band members took their places in near total darkness.

Wendell also commented on the link of the feature on Elvis's f/book page. He responded to a hostile response -

Most responses have been hugely complimentary, and no one has found fault with my grammar, though I do concede a few moronic errors of fact. We are well into the hundreds of thousands of readers now, so I must have done something right. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one but agree on our shared fondness for Mr. Costello.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:He said the debut at Brooklyn Bowl was the first time he'd played with all the Roots. He said it was one of the single best performances in which he was ever involved.
It was incredible.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Wendell Jamieson comments on f/book - It's even bigger in the International New York Times -- and without the author's dopey errors.

Nice to see Geordie Wood's photo getting most of a page -

https://geordiewood.com/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Peter, f/book -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

An additional photo by Georgie Wood has appeared on his Tumblr page

http://tumblr.geordiewood.com/post/1542 ... times-2016

This was the image used in the NYT in September