Elvis DETOUR at last in NYC October 1, 2016 TOWN HALL

Pretty self-explanatory
Arbogast

Re: Elvis DETOUR at last in NYC October 1, 2016 TOWN HALL

Post by Arbogast »

There's no such thing as a bad Elvis show in my book, and it was great to hear a bunch of new songs.

But that was WAY too much Larkin Poe for my taste.

Bring on the Imposters @ the Beacon!
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis DETOUR at last in NYC October 1, 2016 TOWN HALL - promo interview in NYT

Post by docinwestchester »

Arbogast wrote:Bring on the Imposters @ the Beacon!
Word.
sulky lad

Re: Elvis DETOUR at last in NYC October 1, 2016 TOWN HALL - promo interview in NYT

Post by sulky lad »

12 new ones, BA -
you must be catching me up now !!!
I really must start noting down all the songs I've heard. I think your list of variations is worth a listen to so that I can catch the subtle differences.
Everyday seems to exist in a fair few variants, ( Single version, Beat group, Ron Sexsmith and now BSC) but there are lots of songs with different arrangements as the years go by.
What did you think of Rebecca Lovell's singing on "Burn The paper Down To Ash " ? Incredible performances every time I've seen it. Looking forward to a recording perhaps !! :wink:
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

bronxapostle wrote:Unbelievable show featured twelve I never saw performed before and one big rearrangement. EIWTB (BIG Sisters Clothes version) as he threw in the big bass riff throughout the rewrite. Even he himself agreed with me calling it that after the show. I hereby grant Foyle permision to share here the dreaded selfie I took with his kind approval. Such a nice guy always.
I listed it as bossa nova version, but BSC version works too!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
docinwestchester

stricttime81 wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:Unbelievable show featured twelve I never saw performed before and one big rearrangement. EIWTB (BIG Sisters Clothes version) as he threw in the big bass riff throughout the rewrite. Even he himself agreed with me calling it that after the show. I hereby grant Foyle permision to share here the dreaded selfie I took with his kind approval. Such a nice guy always.
My first impression was bossa nova too. I completely missed the Big Sister's Clothes riff. But not benny.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG (144.48 KiB) Viewed 22436 times
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG (111.36 KiB) Viewed 22436 times
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG (97.53 KiB) Viewed 22436 times
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG (136.18 KiB) Viewed 22441 times
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG (128.66 KiB) Viewed 22441 times
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG (124.89 KiB) Viewed 22441 times
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

docinwestchester wrote:
stricttime81 wrote:
My first impression was bossa nova too. I completely missed the Big Sister's Clothes riff. But not benny.
I noticed the riff, but I thought the overall song structure was bossa nova
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

14 new ones for me!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

BA. f/book -
I hereby grant Foyle permision to share here the dreaded selfie I took with his kind approval.

'He is so awesome, sweet to us gathered after a two and a half hour show. I asked if the dreaded selfie together was okay, he responded WHY NOT? '
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Arbogast wrote:There's no such thing as a bad Elvis show in my book, and it was great to hear a bunch of new songs.

But that was WAY too much Larkin Poe for my taste.

Bring on the Imposters @ the Beacon!
Totally agree-too much LP...EC needs to step away from the buffet and needs new joke material...ticket said 7:30 and LP was on stage at that exact time...before LP the big TV shows vids from EC's career.

Acoustic I Want You was my fav.
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

I’ll preface the review, there isn’t a bad Elvis concert, seeing him twice more (Atlantic City and Beacon night 1), but last night left me wanting more. I guess I’ve set my (or his) standards too high.

2nd time I’ve seen the Detour (Denver this past April), and both times, I didn’t enjoy Larkin Poe. They just seem too be too noisy. Having read the book, I’ve heard the stories before Accidents, Ascension Day and Church Underground before. Just the price you pay when you see him multiple times. It also seemed like he cut the show off early. I’ll be curious to see if anyone post’s the printed set list from the stage. No songs from inside the TV. No Ghost Train.

Dislikes -American Mirror (seems forced), Burn the Paper Down to Ash (don’t care for Rebecca(?) singing this song, so I tried to imagine Emmylou Harris singing it). If you are a casual fan (like my wife) how does singing 5 songs you’ve never heard in a row make you feel (she didn’t like it).

Highlights – opener of New Amsterdam (haven’t heard that in a while), off mic of Alison, Big Sisters Clothing buried in the bass riff of Everyday I Write the Book and Clown Strike. New songs, Little White Lies, This Uneasy Hour and Vitajex.

Looking forward to the Imperial Bedroom shows, but why does he think he needs gimmicks for his shows (Giant TV, Spinning wheel). I love the music and live show. I am hoping there isn’t a gimmick with IB shows, other than playing the songs from the album. The recordings of the England show from the past summer where great. Just play a ‘normal’ concert.
Why are we racing to be so old?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i felt LP are a good fit for Elvis to do things a bit differently. and it worked fabulously for Clown Strike, Not the Part of Him, PLU and all the new ones. He needs it fresh and new to keep it exciting and i agree with his decisions nearly always. i thought he paced the night perfectly and feel also there might have been a few more upon the setlist. but at 2:22, surely we were not cheated. another GREAT night with E!

loved NEW AMSTERDAM again WITHOUT Hide Your Love Away. thought i saw it open a show before:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2_New_York
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Agree BA, I always felt Hide Your Love Away detracted from the lovely New Amsterdam. ! First EX song I learnt to at on guitar by the way closely followed by Radio - I always will be a three chord hero :oops:
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Neither sound man nor light man would give up a printed setlist..."we're not allowed to give them out". We weren't close enough to the stage to see if there was one or more taped to the floor. EC has three teleprompters....one in front of the blue chair, one center stage, one at the piano.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks Eugene - that's really interesting about the printed setlists. It looks like this is a continuing trend. I got the same comment at the Bristol Imposters show in July.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Eugene wrote:Neither sound man nor light man would give up a printed setlist..."we're not allowed to give them out". We weren't close enough to the stage to see if there was one or more taped to the floor. EC has three teleprompters....one in front of the blue chair, one center stage, one at the piano.
I went up to get the stage set list but 2 other guys beat me to it. The rodie gave them out.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Twelve new songs in that show and the only videos up are EIWTB and PLU?

I noticed that he didn't do any songs from inside the TV....which makes all the clutter on stage even less necessary. Does anyone else find the slideshow and videos really distracting? As a previous poster put it....why the gimmickry??
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned, but during the encores someone yelled out pretty clearly "Elvis, Stop boycotting Israel!" Elvis responded, sincerely, "This one goes out to you, with love." Whether or not you agree with EC's stance on Israel (and I don't), he handled it beautifully.
docinwestchester

Arbogast wrote:Twelve new songs in that show and the only videos up are EIWTB and PLU?
Stay calm. The entire show will be uploaded this week.
docinwestchester

stricttime81 wrote:By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned, but during the encores someone yelled out pretty clearly "Elvis, Stop boycotting Israel!" Elvis responded, sincerely, "This one goes out to you, with love." Whether or not you agree with EC's stance on Israel (and I don't), he handled it beautifully.
Very much so.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies ' photos- shared with permission. Chalkie has resumed 'rock' photography. I met him last week in London , the day he photographed David Gilmour, and he's in great form, lots of plans for exhibitions etc.

A composite by Chalkie of some archival items related to the film that forms the basis of Elvis's musical.
Chalkie commented -
If you have never seen this, you are really missing out on a great film. Particularly relevant with the Election coming up. Hopefully soon to be a Broadway Musical, after EC's Town Hall gig there was a party at Sardi's which is an important step in that direction ;-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO5jQy0wDI
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

"They're Not Laughing at Me Now" was my fave of the new stuff. Loved it!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Loved it too - thanks!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?