Elvis Solo, Festival Theatre, Edinburgh, Sat. 18 March, 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis Solo, Festival Theatre, Edinburgh, Sat. 18 March, 2017

Post by Man out of Time »

As part of "Detour 2017" Elvis plays the Festival Theatre in Edinburgh on Saturday 18 March, 2017.

Tickets £45 on sale 9am on Friday 2 September. Is there usually a pre-sale for this venue?

http://tickets-scotland.com/events.html ... 000b75ede9

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Solo, Festival Theatre, Edinburgh, Sat. 18 March, 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I know of a few people , not posters here, going to this .
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm pretty sure Nicola76 will be there.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From the same Nicola , via Facebook

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

My friend Aaron at the show is intrigued by the wifi options in the venue-

Which reminds me of something similar in Oslo -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

No setlist (yet - I hope!) but reports of songs played including This Year's Girl , WTD, Alison , Tramp The Dirt Down, Toledo , Just About Glad, I Can't Stand Up and Motel Matches.
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

Other highlights were Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, Blood & Hot Sauce, Face in the Crowd & Viceroy's Row - the piano numbers were barnstorming. Elvis sang superbly on the bluesier songs but seemed to struggle at other times - I sometimes couldn't quite make out the melody in 1 or 2 of the newer songs. Bury Me Under Lime is a dark gem.
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

Sorry for the drip feed. Indoor Fireworks was beautiful, despite Elvis forgetiing lyrics. And (imagine my outrage) there was NO Psycho!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist.fm now has what looks like the complete setlist.

01. This Year's Girl
02. Just About Glad
03. Motel Matches
04. Church Underground
05. Watching The Detectives
06. Shipbuilding
07. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
08. Stripping Paper
09. A Face In The Crowd
10. They Call Me Mrs. Lonesome
11. Toledo
12. They're Not Laughing At Me Now
13. Veronica
14. Alison - off-mic
Encore 1
15. Blood & Hot Sauce
16. No Man's Woman
17. Accidents Will Happen
18. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
19. Viceroy's Row
20. Oliver's Army
Encore 2
21. Indoor Fireworks
22. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
23. Vitajex
24. Under Lime
25. She
26. Tramp The Dirt Down
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/o ... -1-4397100

Review: Elvis Costello leaves memorable impression on only Scottish tour date

By Will Slater
March 19th 2017

The only Scottish date on his Detour tour, for two and a half hours he freewheeled through his vast back catalogue, charming with anecdotes and recollections from a lifetime in and around the music business.

Opening with 1978’s This Year’s Girl, a giant 60s-style TV dominating the set flashed up images to illustrate the various songs. On guitar and piano, crowd favourites included Shipbuilding, Watching the Detectives, Oliver’s Army, Accidents Will Happen, a spine-tingling version of Alison, sung without any amplification, and She.

As striking as his musicianship and lyrics was his voice, which sounded gorgeous. He can deliver heartbreak like few can. He played four songs from A Face in the Crowd, a new musical he is working on, including a jingle-inspired Vitajex (on ukulele) and They Call Me Mrs Lonesome.

As he swapped musical styles, Elvis traded his red trilby for a white one or dispensed with it all together when the electric guitar came out. All the while, he was tugging at the musical thread that links him to his father, band leader Ross McManus, and grandfather Pat, who was a bandsman in the First World War and then a musician on cruise liners.

Other stand-out tracks played included 1998’s Toledo, which he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach, Indoor Fireworks and the haunting Church Underground. Ensuring we saw a flash of grit and steel, he ended with anti-Thatcher song, Tramp the Dirt Down. Only then did Elvis leave the building.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I like this set...great variation. Big handful of newish songs and rarely aired tunes, alongside ten that he's been relying on heavily as of late. Now, if he can keep switching up the more oblique ones these last few nights of DETOUR, he can remind himself and all of us, of November 2013 USA solo and the way he stretched so mightily as I counted towards two hundred different played that month. And then bury this version of a solo tour until he dreams up a fresher way in a year or two. HE CAN DO IT, he's listened to me before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Elvis definitely made it sound like tomorrow in Sheffield would be the last Detour concert. He talked about holding a car boot sale to get rid of the set including the massive TV prop.
verbal gymnastics

He's already said this would be the end of Detour. Perhaps the set will join the Spectacular Spinning Songbook in Hartlepool...!

Detour has had a good run. On a personal level it didn't hold enough for me to go for a 3rd year running.
verbal gymnastics

I also meant to say I think it would have come to an end last year if it wasn't for the rearranged European gigs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Nicola for the print version of the earlier posted review .

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents ... Edinburgh/

Music review: Elvis Costello, Festival Theatre, Edinburgh

Neil Cooper
The Herald, Glasgow
March 20 2017

"I never thought I'd have to sing this again," says Elvis Costello before the final song of a two and a half hour set that makes up the very personal rummage through his back pages that is his solo Detour show. By this time he's showed us snaps from a family album that includes footage of his dad, big band crooner Ross McManus, after introducing the evening with videos of his own career on a giant mock-up of a 1960s TV set. He's entered with a shimmy and moved from acoustic guitar to electric with a stint at the piano in between.

One minute Costello is a showbiz raconteur cracking jokes, the next he's playing a ferocious version of Watching the Detectives while bathed in a moody green light as retro-styled pulp fiction posters flash up behind him. There is a funereal piano-led version of his Falklands War elegy, Shipbuilding, and an unamplified Alison. Following a blistering take on Oliver's Army against an image of a World War One army band just like the one his grand-dad was in, Costello holds his guitar aloft like a weapon.

There are new songs from a forthcoming musical about the power of TV to create demagogues, followed by the heartbreak of Indoor Fireworks and a lovely She. But when Costello ends the night with a story of visiting an underfunded hospital to see his 90 year old mum before singing Tramp the Dirt Down, the renewed relevance of the song he wrote in response to Margaret Thatcher is electrifying. In this way, as Costello takes stock of his now classic canon, he reinvents it in a way that invigorates it with every hearing.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cultu ... -1-4398612

Music review: Elvis Costello

DAVID POLLOCK
The Scotsman

21 March 2017

For those fans investing in a slice of late-period Elvis Costello live action – and there were many of them here – it’s an all-or-nothing experience. Anyone hoping for a cheery, nostalgic run-through of the wide range of punk-pop hits Costello wrote around 1980 will be … well, not disappointed, because Costello is an astute curator of his own legacy and most of them appeared here.

Yet every other Costello appeared too: the latterday rock anthropologist delving into genres from Creole blues to Southern gospel and Irish folk; the capable crooner who duetted with Burt Bacharach; and Declan MacManus, his real identity, Irish-­Liverpudlian son of music hall performer Ross MacManus and grandson of cruise liner trumpeter turned street ­corner Depression-era busker Pat MacManus. That Costello was here for this third-from-final date on his Detour tour without any other musicians only added to the sense of biographical intimacy.

Dressed in black shirt and trousers and a bright red fedora, his occasionally over-studied sense of showmanship hadn’t deserted him, but the rawness of two dozen songs for guitar or piano spread out over two-and-a-half hours told a tale; these were songs which held stories for him as well as for the audience, making for a deeply immersive experience.

He delved into the mind of a wealthy presidential autocrat amid A Face in the Crowd and Viceroy’s Row; remembered his father, “Birkenhead’s musical link between Dizzy Gillespie and Jimmy Shand”, before the sublime lyrical precision of he and Bacharach’s Toledo; delivered Veronica with breakneck briskness and Alison while off-mic with hymnal delicacy; and brought almost funereal levels of heartache and regret to I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down and Oliver’s Army.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Lewis Wade published on 24 March 2017, in Scottish Cultural/listings magazine The Skinny.

"Elvis Costello @ Festival Theatre, 18 Mar
★★★★
Elvis Costello live at The Festival Theatre, Edinburgh by Euan McLaughlin
Elvis Costello live at The Festival Theatre, Edinburgh by Euan McLaughlin
126025_widescreen.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 17089 times
After a couple of years on the road, Elvis Costello is bringing his run of Detour shows to a close. The show operates as a sort of intimate retrospective; Costello performs the entire show solo, frequently pausing to share family stories, childhood memories and other anecdotes both broad and specific. These range from Scottish independence and Theresa May, to his regrets, to memories of his father appearing on the same bill as The Beatles (but higher up, he quips).

Drawing from a rich and varied catalogue (and that's an understatement), the show is perfect for both the uninitiated and Costello fanatics alike. He performs on electric and acoustic guitar, as well as piano, mixing covers (Charles Aznavour, Sam & Dave), deep cuts (Vitajex, Just About Glad) and the hits (This Year's Girl, Watching the Detectives, Oliver's Army).

Though he can't quite hit all the high notes from his heyday, and the stripped back nature of the set doesn't always bring out the best in every track, the sheer strength of Costello's songwriting and his uncanny ability to wring out sentiment from the mundane and subvert modernist tropes with his unparalleled wit make for a highly enjoyable evening.

An off-mic rendition of Alison closes the main set (before two encores) and proves a highlight of the night. It's a demonstration of his ability to mesmerise an audience as the room falls to a hushed silence, bonded in awe and appreciation of the delicate and tender-hearted imagery being woven in front of them. At two and a half hours, the show isn't afraid to stretch out and revel in its tangents and obscurities, but Elvis keeps things moving at a swift clip.

Over the course of more than two-dozen songs Costello proves – even with just a few guitars, a piano and a couple of trademark trilbies – why he's one of the most celebrated and gifted songwriters of the last fifty years."

Does EC really "subvert modernist tropes" , or is that just the talk in the pubs of Edinburgh?

MOOT