krm

Elvis "detour" - Copenhagen (Denmark) March 6th 2017

Post by krm »

https://www.billetlugen.dk/da/event/elv ... /billetter

Ticketsale starts Mon., 22. august 2016, 10:00 am
VonOfterdingen

Re: Elvis "detour" - Copenhagen (Denmark) March 6th 2017

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Got tickets on the 5th row. The concert was more or less sold out in 20 minutes.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
krm

Post by krm »

VonOfterdingen wrote:Got tickets on the 5th row. The concert was more or less sold out in 20 minutes.
Great!

Got mine as well!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
krm

Post by krm »

I´ll be there!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I'm going.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Looking forward to reports
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I will be interesting to see what is different. The crowd in Odense sounds more enthusiastic than Aalborg.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

It was brilliant. Elvis is back and everything I missed in Aalborg he delivered tonight.

The setlist was something like this. More tomorrow.

Watch Your Step
Accidents Will Happen
Our Little Angel
Church Underground
Stella Hurt
Everyday I Write The Book
Viceroy's Row
Shipbuilding
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
She Handed Me A Mirror
A Face In The Crowd
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
Isabel in Tears
Alison

Encore
Blood & Hot Sauce
No Man's Woman
Veronica
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
I Want You
Vitajex
She
What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
krm

Post by krm »

Copenhagen was Much better than Aalborg. A great evening.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mads' photo , via Facebook

Kjell's photos , via Facebook

Helena'a photo , via facebook

krm

Post by krm »

Here is the final version of the setlist.

Watch Your Step
Accidents Will Happen
Our Little Angel
Church Underground
Stella Hurt
Everyday I Write The Book
Viceroy's Row
Shipbuilding
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
She Handed Me A Mirror
A Face In The Crowd
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
Isabel in Tears
Veronica
Alison
- if I had a hammer -RossMcManus
Blood & Hot Sauce
No Man's Woman
I Want You
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Vitajex
She
What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

much better than the show in Aalborg and close to the quality of the show in Malmö, I think. Elvis was in good shape and inspired tonight. Instead of "Still" we got "She handed me a mirror". 45 was also dropped from the list. Another performance of Isabel in Tears turned out just as fine as in Malmö.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

'Isabel in Tears' - is that one of the new Bacharach ones?!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I'm happy to hear that krm also found the Copenhagen concert much better than then one in Aalborg. For a moment I blamed myself for being slightly under the influence in Aalborg (it was a Saturday night after all) or that I was somehow sitting too close to the stage.

The difference is actually hard for me to explain. The crowd and sound in Copenhagen were much better and so was the venue, but Aalborg wasn't bad and it was also sold out (more or less). Watch Your Step was a better starter, but Accidents Will Happend sounded exactly like in Aalborg. The arrangement of that song isn't the best I've heard, but I like his overall Dylanesque approach to rearranging some of the songs.

Our Little Angel, in a fine rough edition, was a nice surprise and the version af Everyday I Write the Book was simply amazing. It was exactly the kind of uplifting moment that lacked in Aalborg, including EC's opinion of his own song.

At the piano EC performed an even better version of Deep Dark Truthful Mirror to a roaring response from the audience (he remarked that he didnt expect the positive Danes to like a dark song about self loathing that much). Before She Handed Me a Mirror he told about the chance he was giving to write songs about a famous Danish author. An opportunity he sadly didnt take full advantage of "due to where I was in that time of my life". He never mentioned H.C. Andersen by name but instead played the best version of the song I've heard (including The Secret Songs sessions in Copenhagen). When he ended the song a picture of H.C. Andersen turned up on the big tv for a few seconds. It was perfect timing and very respectful to everything that happend (and didn't happen) with those songs.

I love A Face in the Crowd and I love how EC knocks about on stage. I don't think he moved this way two years ago but it kind of mirrors the wild, sometimes clunky, but always exciting piano playing - and singing. He doesn't nearly hit all the right nodes, but the way he kind of does it anyway, is amazing and it felt more confident and safe than in Aalborg.

At some point he also said that he hadn't been to Copenhagen in 7 years, since they told him to "stay away and not come back". Maybe he was hinting that the 2010 concert in Tivoli Glassalen was a mistake. A show I believe he should never have played in the first time being clearly ill and leaving the stage after around 1 hour and 20 minutes. Chances are he was joking. Or both.

Another highlight was Isabel in Tears. A kind of old school, sweet and simple song with a dark side. Alison made an already great crowd explode (that crazy expensive concert hall also did a good job) and the enthusiasm he brought back to the stage, after the enjoyable If I Had a Hammer break, felt more genuine this time around.

Blood and Hot Sauce was another demonstration of a brilliant song, that HAS to come out on a record some day (just like I still hope he will one day record The Last Days of My Youth). I've been hearing a live recording on YouTube quite a lot but he seems to have changed the structure, like the "take us to the mountain" part sung once and not twice. No matter what it's a stunning song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-FQ_w16G0

I Want You, in another mean and blistering version, came at the exactly right time giving the final part more edge. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I wasn't going to see him play inside that tv.

When EC left the stage to a standing ovation he had told some of the same stories as in Aalborg, but he added more details, more jokes and despite having heard most of them two days earlier, they worked better the second time. He also played and sang better and I'm very happy that whatever doubts I had Saturday were obliterated two days later. It also seems that the Copenhagen concert was more alike to the one in Odense on Sunday.

Finally, in Aalborg he said that he "knew he had come to the right country", when he could see a warship from one of his hotel windows and a stripclub from another. He told about it again in Copenhagen. It seems like a fit line for a future song.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Another review (in Danish) by Klaus Lynggaard in Information. The article is dated March 2017 and most of it is hidden behind a paywall.

" Det er en ommer, Elvis
Elvis Costello gav solokoncert i Koncerthuset, hvor han akkompagnerede sig selv på guitar og klaver. Med undervældende resultater

Han er ikke og har aldrig været for fastholdere, den gode Elvis Costello, født og døbt Declan Patrick MacManus i London i 1954.

Da Costello bragede igennem i kølvandet på punken i 1977 med en stribe intenst brændende hitsingler og albummet My Aim Is True, fremstod han som den arketypiske vrede unge nørd, fuld af frustration, galde, selvhad og aggression og velsignet med hornbriller så store, at Magasin kunne bruge dem som udstillingsvinduer.

Costello kan således fejre 40-årsjubilæum i år, og han har ikke hvilet på laurbærbladene, langt over 30 albums er det blevet til. Plus det løse, hvilket i Costellos tilfælde er et parallelt værk i sig selv.

Så den oprindelige energi er i den grad blevet sublimeret og omsat til musik, selv om tonen stadig ofte er karsk og misantropisk. Få fra hans generation har præsteret en så afvekslende og udfordrende produktion som Costello, der endvidere kan prale af at have indspillet plader med alle fra The Brodsky Quartet til The Roots, fra Annie Sofie von Otter til Allen Toussaint. For ikke at glemme samarbejder med koryfæer som Paul McCartney og Burt Bacharach. ..."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"It is a butterflies, Elvis

Elvis Costello gave a solo concert in the Concert Hall, where he accompanied himself on guitar and piano. With the overwhelming results

He is not and has never been the real holders, the good Elvis Costello, born and baptized Declan Patrick MacManus in London in 1954th

When Costello burst through in the wake of punk in 1977 with a series of intense burning hit singles and album My Aim Is True, he appeared as the archetypal angry young geek, full of frustration, bile, self-hatred and aggression and blessed with horn-rimmed glasses so large that Magasin could use them as storefronts.

Costello can celebrate the 40th anniversary this year, and he has not rested on its laurels, well over 30 albums it has become. Plus it loose, which in Costello's case is a parallel work in itself.

So the initial energy has become so sublimated and transformed into music, even if the tone is still often healed and misanthropic. Learn from his generation has done such a varied and challenging production as Costello, who also boasts to have recorded with everyone from The Brodsky Quartet for The Roots, from Annie Sofie von Otter to Allen Toussaint. Not to mention collaborations with greats such as Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach"

If anyone can access the rest of the text, please add it.

MOOT
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I don't have access now but I read it online. It is a very negative review from an old school Danish difficult reviewer that I couldn't care less about.