Wed, Oct 26, 2016 08:00 PM
Eugene

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Albany , NY , Oct. 26 2016

Post by Eugene »

Presale password is *gasp* IMPOSTERS
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Since I'm going to all 3 shows in NYC, one in Atlantic City, and one in Nashville, I guess I will skip this one lol. Although it's less than a 3 hour drive... :lol:
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And Wallingford is only a shade over 90 MINUTES
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Fir my friends on this board, i have an extra 4th row ticket for tjus show that i gladly offer to tjis comminity

Face value OR trade for nyc, akron, chicago, ct, or ann arbor

Let me know by PM

Lookimg forwRd to the show!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another image is unveiled on Elvis's Facebook page -

"A Portrait Of The Artist"

Elvis Costello (AKA Eamonn Singer) souvenir book of daubs is available at all "Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers" shows.

http://bit.ly/ImperialBedroomandOtherChambers

kilyuradeo

Post by kilyuradeo »

I have 1 Front Row Center Ticket for tonight's show that I can't use. I can email the ticket to you or transfer the ticket to your ticketmaster account.
jmm

Post by jmm »

The band pic in John's post below was available on a t-shirt at the merch table in Bethlehem. First one I've bought in quite a while
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Craig on f/book -

'Less Than Zero was a request. Somebody called it out and Elvis said, "You really want to hear that song tonight?" and went right into it. When it was over Elvis said, "Good call, some people might not have heard that one," or something close to that.'

Town Where Time Stood Still
The Loved Ones
Lipstick Vogue
...And In Every Home
You Little Fool
Accidents Will Happen
Tears Before Bedtime
Moods For Moderns
Shabby Doll
Green Shirt
Watching The Detectives
Human Hands
Kid About It
Less Than Zero
Pidgin English
Alison
Shot With His Own Gun
Almost Blue
The Long Honeymoon
Beyond Belief
Man Out Of Time
Party Girl
ENCORE
Every Day I Write The Book
Town Crier
Clubland
Pump It Up
(What's So Funny 'Bout) P, L & U

Craig's photos -

https://twitter.com/therealgaryhahn/sta ... 5545556993

Via Twitter https://twitter.com/Annie_Liz/status/791478882163621888

https://twitter.com/sarah042785/status/ ... 7475189760
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-featur ... 417116.php

Review: Costello, band put new spin on classics

By Jim Shahen Jr.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Albany

How does an acclaimed, prolific songwriter and performer transition from regularly releasing new material to taking a trip down memory lane and playing the classics? It's a topic Elvis Costello delves into in his 2015 memoir, "Unfinished Music and Disappearing Ink." His solution: draw on his extensive back catalog and play the material on his own terms.

While a lot of his fellow Rock and Roll Hall of Famers are content to trot out an album and simply replicate it, at the Palace Theatre on Wednesday night Costello took the worn-out concept of artists playing a classic album and made it something unique: He played his 1982 masterpiece "Imperial Bedroom" differently than on record, out of order and interspersing its tracks throughout his two-hour set in a way that made it feel less like an album being played and more like organic song selection.

After his past several visits to the Capital Region presented Costello as an acoustic troubadour, this show was about Elvis the rocker. That tone was set early when he and the Imposters tore into a thunderous take of "Lipstick Vogue." After that came "... And in Every Home" and "You Little Fool." On "Bedroom," those two are delicate, almost precious. Wednesday night, the former's horns were replaced by a melodic guitar line and the latter became a soul-rocker. In an introduction to "Tears Before Bedtime," Costello explained that he crafted a jaunty melody for it to mask his own feelings. The version he proceeded to play was stripped of its gloss and transformed into a powerhouse ballad that showed that while Costello's vocals are less youthful sneer and more rough-hewn, he can still belt 'em out.

"Moods for Moderns" and "Shabby Doll" also played into the evening's presentation of Elvis-as-garage rocker, with "Shabby Doll" featuring a slinky groove, funky bass line and couple of tight guitar solos from Costello. Soon after came a version of "Alison" that saw Costello strumming the electric guitar with vocal accompaniment by backup singers Yahzarah and Kitten Kuroi, as well as from an audience excited to hear one of his most recognizable tracks. He did also take the time to indulge his jazzier instincts with "Shot with His Own Gun" and "Almost Blue." As longtime bandmate Steve Nieve played the piano beautifully, Costello crooned like he was a 1940s barroom jazzman.

After that, it was back to big guitars. "Beyond Belief" was stripped of its majesty and turned into one of the rowdier rockers of the night. After a brief encore break, Costello returned with a strong version of "Everyday I Write the Book." He then closed the evening with a one-two punch of "Pump it Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?" that had the audience up on its feet singing and dancing. Both songs were a lot of fun to hear and sent the crowd home happy.

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Palace Theatre, 19 Clinton Ave., Albany

Length: 130 minutes; no opening act

The crowd: About 80 percent full, largely age 40 and up
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photographs by Kirsten Ferguson

http://www.nippertown.com/2016/10/27/li ... re-102616/

Elvis Costello & the Imposters @ the Palace Theatre, 10/26/16

Review by Greg Haymes

Elvis Costello’s two most recent Greater Nippertown appearances were pretty much polar opposites – a solo ramble at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall in 2013 and a breathless blitzkrieg, full-band opening set for the Police reunion concert at SPAC in 2008.

Given the Palace Theatre stage as a headliner with a full band on Wednesday, Costello split the difference right down the middle – a bigger punch than his solo outing, not quite as electrifying as the short SPAC set.

Not that it wasn’t quite a brilliant performance. It was indeed, and there were quite a few thrilling moments throughout the evening, but it would have been quite a challenge for Costello & Co. to cut loose and really tear it up, as they were focused on – although certainly not exclusively restricted to – Imperial Bedroom, perhaps the most pivotal album in his long and eclectic musical career. There’s not a rock song on the album, and the lush, orchestral production by George Martin disciple Geoff Emerick is pretty much impossible to duplicate live, especially in the Imposters’ minimalist, straight-forward rock band format – bass, drums, keys and guitar.

So of course, Costello took the road less traveled. Imperial Bedroom is far from his best-selling or best-known album, and it’s not big anniversary year for the 1982 album. He played 12 of the albums’ 15 songs, but he didn’t play them in sequence, nor did he play them all together. Rather he interspersed them throughout the two-hour-plus concert with other cherry-picked gems from his career. So the bristling bash-and-crash of “Lipstick Vogue” was inserted between “The Loved Ones” and “…And in Every Home,” while a hushed, soulful “Shabby Doll” was the lead-in for a pulsatingly dramatic treatment of “Green Shirt.”

Costello wisely decided to mix things up on the Imperial Bedroom songs, too. The most radical re-invention of the night was a riveting rendition of “Tears Before Bedtime,” with the jaunty, Squeeze-like pop bounce of the album version abandoned in favor of slinky, almost dirge-like arrangement that musically matched the dark lyrics.

Likewise, on “Almost Blue” – performed with only Steve Nieve’s pink grand piano accompaniment – Costello sang in an achingly hushed, vulnerable, cracked-whisper of a voice much more closely aligned with Chet Baker’s cover than Costello’s own original recording.

“Alison” – performed with just backing vocalists Kitten Kuroi and YahZazarah St. James – was perfectly shimmering. And “Man Out of Time” was simply majestic, Nieve’s baroque filagrees delicately balanced by Pete Thomas’ power drumming.

The biggest disappointment of the night was “Watching the Detectives.” Although musically on target, Costello’s performance was undercut as he sang in near darkness, overshadowed by a parade of pulp fiction book covers and film noir posters projected on the overhead screen.

And while his voice started to sound a bit shaky during the encore of “Town Cryer,” Costello recovered with a sensuous swing ‘n’ sway through “Clubland” followed by a no-holds-barred blast through “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding,” which finally brought the crowd to their feet.

SECOND OPINIONS

Excerpt from Jim Shahen Jr.’s review at The Times Union: “In an introduction to ‘Tears Before Bedtime,’ Costello explained that he crafted a jaunty melody for it to mask his own feelings. The version he proceeded to play was stripped of its gloss and transformed into a powerhouse ballad that showed that while Costello’s vocals are less youthful sneer and more rough-hewn, he can still belt ’em out. ‘Moods for Moderns’ and ‘Shabby Doll’ also played into the evening’s presentation of Elvis-as-garage rocker, with ‘Shabby Doll’ featuring a slinky groove, funky bassline and couple of tight guitar solos from Costello. Soon after came version of ‘Alison’ that saw Costello strumming the electric guitar with vocal accompaniment by back-up singers Yahzarah and Kitten Kuroi, as well as from an audience excited to hear one of his most recognizable tracks.”

Excerpt from Michael Hochanadel’s review at The Daily Gazette: “Costello happily celebrated bristling bon mots, merry/melancholy melodies and genial swagger, a perfectionist craftsman amid rough-and-ready punk; a pure popster raised by a big-band trumpeter in the echo of Johnny Rotten. Costello played (mostly) electric or acoustic guitar, chopping chords restlessly against his band’s confident muscular riffing. With nowhere to hide (no other guitarist), Costello had to carry the weight, and did. Singers Kuroi and YahZarah were terrific, singing on the money and animating the songs with their moves. Most melodies moved at medium tempos, framing words Costello occasionally explained. ‘Romantic misery’ prompted ‘You Little Fool,’ he said, but another note from Girls Girls Girls better highlights their off-hand, heads-up grace: ‘Words seemed to fly straight through the moving window and come out of my mouth or my pen.’ On Wednesday, they flew out of his cracked, quavering croon and the punch of his band.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.spotlightnews.com/thespot/20 ... n-no-more/

CONCERT REVIEW: Elvis Costello is an angry young man no more

ALBANY — Elvis Costello released 25 albums in 30 years, in a wide variety of genres. When I heard that his current tour would be leaning heavily on the “Imperial Bedroom Album” I wasn’t surprised. This seemed to be the place in Elvis’s career where maturity set in as a song writer and although most of these songs were written at the ripe old age of 26, it was already his seventh full-length record.

Costello took the stage with what was two thirds of the original line up from his original band The Attractions with Steve Nieve on piano and Pete Thomas on drums. Davey Faragher who is best known as co-founder and bass player for the 90s band Cracker rounds out the Imposters.

Costello opened with “The Town Where Time Stood Still” from the “Punch the Clock” Record before delivering his first song from “Imperial Bedroom,” “The Loved Ones” which is such a great pop song with that walking bass line….I knew we were in for a good night. Next up “Lipstick Vogue” from “This Year’s Model.” During this song Elvis encountered a little technical difficulty with his guitar and after a mid-song switch out he fires off a vicious impromptu guitar solo as “the angry young man” persona that we all loved from the early days. It was 1977 at the Bottom Line all over again! When it was time for “Accidents will Happen,” the vocals seemed a little off to me but that’s part of the Costello charm. The set continued heavy on Imperial Bedroom tracks with the hits sprinkled throughout. Allison received a stripped down treatment with Just Costello and his two female backup singers. It was a “pretty” version but I would have just as soon heard Elvis sing it by himself.

The 27-song, two-hour set included a four-song encore. It was a great trip through a great career featuring many of the hits. “Green Shirt,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Less Than Zero,” “Every Day I Write the Book,” “Pump it Up” and “What’s so Funny ‘Bout Peace Love and Understanding.” There were some noticeably absent like “Radio Radio” but you can’t have everything!

The angry young man that I saw sing Radio Radio at the Bottom line in 1977 has mellowed and matured over the years but one thing is evident, he is nowhere close to finished, although it’s hard to imagine what he might do next?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.