Elvis solo, Taipei, Taiwan, Sept 14, 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Taipei, Taiwan, Sept 14, 2016

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis solo, Taipei, Taiwan, Sept 14, 2016

Post by Man out of Time »

The China Times has published a couple of articles by Zhao Jingyu previewing this show:

This one on 13 July:

英倫創作鬼才艾維斯‧卡斯提洛 首度訪台

英倫創作鬼才艾維斯‧卡斯提洛(Elvis Costello)將舉行首度訪台演唱會。這位英倫創作才子曾經溫柔深情翻唱法國香頌名曲《She》,而成為茱莉亞羅勃茲、休葛蘭合作電影《新娘百分百》的電影片頭曲,令人印象深刻,如今這位帶著搖滾、龐克與鄉村精神的音樂家將以一把吉他、一座鋼琴,娓娓唱出時代之音。

卡斯提洛的音樂生涯到今年正好進入第40年,過去他以倫敦酒吧搖滾風潮先驅之姿初受矚目,歌詞善用冷僻字彙創造獨特形象,被評論家形容為「流行音樂的百科全書」。他曾獲得一座葛萊美獎,兩度獲全英音樂獎最佳英國男演唱人提名。2003年以「艾維斯‧卡斯提洛與吸引力合唱團」組合入搖滾名人堂,2016年更被列入創作歌手名人堂,肯定他在詞曲創作與演唱的貢獻。

艾維斯‧卡斯提洛1954年出生於英國,父親馬克‧瑪奴斯為爵士小號手暨樂團團長,卡斯提洛從小喜歡玩音樂,為了等待唱片伯樂,卡斯提洛曾經幫雅頓化妝品擔任資料打字員,在銀行擔任電腦操作員,邊上班邊寫歌等待唱片合約,1977年終於以首張專輯《My Aim Is True》出道。隔年發行第二張專輯《This Years Model》,兩張都被列入《滾石》雜誌中史上五百大經典專輯。

2003卡斯提洛宣布加拿大爵士歌手暨鋼琴家戴安娜‧克瑞兒訂婚,結婚,雖然是第三段婚姻,但確定是真愛,至今兩人育有兩個小孩,感情深厚。

艾維斯‧卡斯提洛首度訪台演唱會將於9月14日舉行,地點在台北國家音樂廳。

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"British devil creation Elvis Costello first visit to Taiwan

British devil creation Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo (Elvis Costello) will hold a first visit to Taiwan concert. The British creative genius once gentle affectionate cover of French chanson song "She", and become 茱莉亚罗勃 Edwards, Hugh Glenn Cooperation movie "Notting Hill" movie theme song, impressive, and now the with rock, punk and country musician will be the spirit of a guitar, a piano, singing tone sounds era.

Kasitiluo musical career to enter the first year, just 40 years past his London pub rock wave of the early pioneers of the posture by the attention, lyrics advantage of unfamiliar vocabulary to create a unique image, critics have been described as "popular music encyclopedia." . He won a Grammy Award, and twice won the Brit Award for Best British Male Vocalist nomination. 2003 with "Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo and attractive chorus" combination into Rock Hall of Fame in 2016 and more are included in the Hall of Fame singer-songwriter, certainly his contributions to songwriting and singing.

Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo born in 1954 in England, the father of jazz trumpeter Mark ‧ Manu Si cum Orchestra, Kasitiluo like to play music from an early age, in order to wait for the record Bole, who helped Kasitiluo Arden cosmetics as a data typist at the bank as a computer operator, while waiting to go to work side songwriting record deal in 1977 finally debut album "My Aim Is True" debut. The following year released their second album "This Years Model", two are included in the "Rolling Stone" magazine in the history of five hundred large classic album.

2003 Kasitiluo announced Canadian jazz singer-cum-pianist Diana ‧ CRANE children engaged, married, although marriage is a third, but the determination is true love, so far two have two children, deep feelings.

Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo first visit to Taiwan concert will be held on September 14, the National Concert Hall in Taipei Location."

Some of the biographical detail is a little astray, but we get the gist.

Also this article on 14 July 2016:

深情唱紅《新娘百分百》 鬼才卡斯提洛 9月登台

英倫創作鬼才艾維斯‧卡斯提洛(Elvis Costello)將舉行首度訪台演唱會。卡斯提洛曾經深情翻唱法國香頌名曲《She》,成為茱莉亞羅勃茲、休葛蘭合作電影《新娘百分百》主題曲,如今這位帶著搖滾、龐克與鄉村精神的音樂家,將以一把吉他、一架鋼琴,娓娓唱出時代之音。

牛耳藝術總監牛效華說,未來的音樂市場裡,會詞曲創作的音樂家變得格外重要,也讓音樂表現更有深度,今年首度邀請卡斯提洛來台,希望不僅讓台灣樂迷認識這位傳奇性的人物,也讓卡斯提洛有機會了解他堅持的音樂理念對全世界產生的影響。

榮獲葛萊美獎、名人堂

卡斯提洛被譽為「流行音樂的百科全書」,曾獲葛萊美獎,兩度獲全英音樂獎最佳英國男演唱人提名,2003年以「艾維斯‧卡斯提洛與吸引力合唱團」組合入搖滾名人堂,2016年更被列入創作歌手名人堂,肯定他在詞曲創作與演唱的貢獻。

艾維斯‧卡斯提洛1954年出生於英國,父親馬克‧瑪奴斯為爵士小號手暨樂團團長,卡斯提洛從小喜歡玩音樂,曾經幫雅頓化妝品擔任資料打字員,在銀行擔任電腦操作員,邊上班邊寫歌,1977年終於以首張專輯《My Aim Is True》出道。隔年發行第二張專輯《This Year’s Model》,兩張都被列入《滾石》雜誌中史上五百大經典專輯。

環球唱片古典暨爵士音樂部總監傅慶良表示,卡斯提洛勇於嘗試多元音樂元素,最早期以龐克搖滾風出道,以非主流的音樂表達對社會的觀察,但走紅的金曲包括〈Crazy〉、〈Alison〉等歌曲,走的是鄉村民謠風,「以簡單的樂器帶出最真實的聲音,不加料卻能挑動人心。」

不加料美聲挑動人心

2004年卡斯提洛受義大利艾德現代芭蕾舞團之邀,首次創作芭蕾音樂交響樂作品〈Il Sogno〉,該劇在紐約上演,由指揮家邁可‧提爾森‧湯瑪斯帶領倫敦交響樂團演出,音樂融合印象派與爵士樂,情感細膩深刻,也可見卡斯提洛深厚的古典音樂素養。

2003年卡斯提洛宣布與加拿大爵士歌手暨鋼琴家戴安娜‧克瑞兒訂婚,結婚,雖然是第三段婚姻,至今兩人育有兩個小孩,感情深厚。

艾維斯‧卡斯提洛首度訪台演唱會將於9月14日舉行,地點在台北國家音樂廳。

"Affectionate made famous "Notting Hill" devil stage Kasitiluo September

British devil creation Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo (Elvis Costello) will hold a first visit to Taiwan concert. Kasitiluo once affectionate cover of French chanson song "She", hereby become 茱莉亚罗勃 Hugh Glenn Cooperation movie "Notting Hill" theme song, and now this with rock, punk and country spirit musician, will be a guitar, a piano, singing tone sounds era.

Era Art director Niu Xiaohua said that the future of the music market, will songwriting musician has become particularly important, but also more in-depth musical performance, this year for the first time invited Kasitiluo to Taiwan, hoping not only to recognize that Taiwan fans bit legendary figure, but also to have the opportunity to understand the impact of Kasitiluo he insisted on musical ideas generated worldwide.

Won the Grammy Hall of Fame

Kasitiluo known as the "Encyclopedia of Popular Music" won the Grammy Award, and twice won the Brit Awards for best British male singer nomination in 2003 with "Elvis and ‧ Kasitiluo attractive choir "combination into rock Hall of Fame in 2016 and more are included in the Hall of Fame singer-songwriter, certainly his contributions to songwriting and singing.

Elvis ‧ Kasitiluo born in 1954 in England, the father of jazz trumpeter Mark ‧ Manu Si cum Orchestra, Kasitiluo like to play music from an early age, who helped Arden cosmetics as a data typist, the bank as a computer operator, while working side songwriting, 1977 finally debut album "My Aim Is True" debut. The following year released their second album "This Year's Model", two are included in the "Rolling Stone" magazine in the history of five hundred large classic album.

Universal Music Classical music director cum jazz Fuqing Liang said Kasitiluo courage to try pluralistic musical elements, the early punk rock style to debut in a non-mainstream musical expression observed on society, but popular hits include <Crazy>, <Alison> other songs, taking the rural folk style, "with a simple instrument to bring out the most authentic voice, provoke not able to feed the people."

Do not feed the people sing startin

2004 Kasitiluo Eide invited by Italian Modern Ballet, ballet music for the first time the creation of symphonic works <Il Sogno>, and the play in New York, the conductor Michael Tilson ‧ ‧ Thomas led the London Symphony Orchestra music and jazz fusion Impressionist, delicate deep emotion, can also be found Kasitiluo deep classical music literacy.

2003 Kasitiluo announced Canadian jazz singer and pianist Diana ‧ cum CRANE children engaged, married, although marriage is third, so far two have two children, deep feelings.

Elvis Kasitiluo first visit to Taiwan concert will be held on September 14, the National Concert Hall in Taipei Location."

Anyone expecting excerpts from Il Sogno at the show in September is likely to be disappointed, but I would put money on "She" featuring in the setlist.

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Phone in interview with DJ papa Paul at ICRT (International Community Radio Taipei) . APparently transmitted Aug 23rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQS9FVuITg

http://www.icrt.com.tw/studio_guests_de ... dio_id=280
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uh.oh...

Man out of Time

A Taipei Storm Warning apparently. Let's hope the show can go on...

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It went ahead - hurrah!

Jéan James Huang f/book

Irene Tang f/book

Joanna Feng f/book

Man out of Time

Preview by Zhao Jingyu in the China Times on 14 September 2016:

"演唱會就在今夜!鬼才卡斯提洛 多變才是王道

「每一場音樂會對我來說都是不同的故事,第一次來台灣演出,我不知道這裡樂迷會喜歡我什麼歌,但我一定帶好歌來。」英倫創作鬼才艾維斯‧卡斯提洛(Elvis Costello)抵台,今晚將首度舉行訪台演唱會。記者會上他敞開心懷大談愛妻爵士樂手黛安娜‧克瑞兒,還開玩笑說:「如果大家這麼喜歡《She》,我也可以現場唱20遍。」

驚嘆!3張專輯3種風格

卡斯提洛曾深情翻唱法國香頌名曲《She》,被茱莉亞羅勃茲、休葛蘭合作演出的電影《新娘百分百》當成主題曲,也以此被台灣樂迷知悉,「但深情跟浪漫不是我唯一的風格,我崇尚多變,因為人生就是由許多不同的面向所組成,我只是用音樂表達出來。」

也許有樂迷對卡斯提洛這位音樂家的名字覺得陌生,但卡斯提洛是歐美樂壇相當知名的音樂才子。卡斯提洛在1970年代發表的首3張專輯《My Aim Is True》、《This Year’s Model》、《Armed Forces》,全都入選滾石雜誌史上最偉大的500張專輯名單之列,3張專輯,3種完全不同的音樂性格,持續讓樂壇驚嘆至今。

「我的音樂成分非常複雜,我沒有想要用音樂說服人或者左右其他人的想法,我覺得音樂不分國界,無關語言,我希望我的歌可以帶給社會溫暖。」

獨特!搖滾到古典都在行

卡斯提洛二度訪台,上次是跟著愛妻巡演,他是觀眾,「我們常常一起在世界各地巡演,也觀摩其他人的演出。」卡斯提洛說他們常常合作歌曲,「我第一次認識她是她在倫敦的演唱會,我被她的歌聲吸引,也幫她寫歌,後來我們常一起創作,我負責寫詞,她的歌聲常常啟發我。」

幽默帶著調皮,有英國紳士的優雅,也有不畏潮流的特立獨行,卡斯提洛說,「我22歲出第一張專輯,我已經覺得我老了;但現在我站在這裡,我覺得我現在像個小男孩,我一直想要嘗試不同曲風,以前我是搖滾、藍調,後來加入古典,今晚我要帶來的音樂則是鄉村風,沒有樂團,就讓吉他、鋼琴跟我的歌聲作伴,唱給大家聽。」

卡斯提洛首度訪台演唱會將於今晚舉行,地點在台北國家音樂廳。"

"Concert, tonight! Devil Castillo changing is king

"For me, every concert is a different story for the first time to perform in Taiwan, I do not know where the fans will like what my songs, but I will come with good songs." British devil creation Elvis ‧ Castillo (Elvis Costello) arrived in Taiwan this evening will be held for the first time visit to Taiwan concert. Press conference to talk about his wife open hearts jazz musician Diana Crane ‧ children, joked: "If we are so fond of" She ", I can also sing live 20 times."

Amazing! 3 albums 3 kinds of styles

Castillo had soulful cover of French chanson song "She", by Julia Robert Edwards, Hugh Glenn Orchestra movie "Notting Hill" as a theme song, but also in order to be aware of Taiwanese fans, " but not my only affectionate with romantic style, I advocate changing, because life is made up of many different faces composed, I just use music to express it. "

Perhaps fans of the musician's name Castillo feel strange, but Castillo is fairly well-known European and American music musical genius. Castillo in 1970 published the first three albums "My Aim Is True", "This Year's Model", "Armed Forces", all named Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest albums on the list, three albums, three kinds of totally different musical personalities, has continued to make amazing music.

"My music composition is very complex, I do not want to use music or convince people about what other people think, I think music knows no boundaries, language-agnostic, I hope my song can bring social warmth."

unique! Both rock to classical line

Castillo second time to visit Taiwan, and the last tour is followed by his beloved wife, he is the audience, "We are often on tour around the world together, but also to learn from other people's performances." Castillo said they often cooperate song, "My first she first met her concert in London, I was attracted to her voice, but also to help her write songs, then we often together creation, I was responsible for writing lyrics, her voice often inspired me. "

With a mischievous sense of humor, there is an elegant English gentleman, but also defying the trend maverick, Castillo said, "I am 22 years old the first album, I already feel I'm old; but now I'm standing here, I think I'm like a little boy, I always wanted to try a different genre, I used to be rock and roll, blues, classical and later added, tonight I want to bring the music is rustic style, no orchestra, let the guitar, piano singing with my companion, sing pass on to you. "

Castillo first visit to Taiwan concert will be held tonight, place in the National Concert Hall in Taipei."

I understand "Devil" is a complimentary term, like "Wicked".

MOOT
Man out of Time

Review in this blog post from September 16, 2016 by David Barry Temple.

Elvis Costello Without Abbott Presley

"I wanted to write a Taichung Journal piece about the Elvis Costello concert I saw but I didn't know what to write. “We went to see Elvis Costello one-man-show a few nights ago. That man is so full of himself, but it was fun to see him stretch his accomplishments to the breaking point, applauding himself, and at one point saying there was a special guest in the wings; himself,” is all I wrote about it to my friend in the entertainment mecca of New York City.

There is not much else to say besides the facts: Elvis Costello entered the stage alone, and left alone. There were seven acoustic guitars and a baby grand piano on stage in front of a twenty-foot square flat screen made to look like a ‘60’s TV set. A few of his old MTV videos played when we entered the hall. During the show, photos of his life, his teddy boy grandfather who played on a White Line cruiser, flashed, and his father’s band playing a cheesy version of “If I had a Hammer” which he let run and came back during to start an aborted clap-along. It was all so contrived and well-practiced, including a segment of “home-with-the-family” songs (the 62-year old man has twin nine-year-old kids) by sitting in a chair, wearing a straw hat, swaying one crooked leg, and strumming innocently.

The biggest blow-up was “Watching the Detectives” when he looped a reggae beat from his acoustic which he played wickedly over. My wife loved all the paperback detective novel covers that flashed on the screen.

The piano rave-ups to other heartfelt songs that the audience didn’t understand (there should have been a LED loop with the lyrics translated, or at least English) sloppy and loud, were 75% attitude with flourishes. His hit “She” from movie Nodding Hill was the only famous thing he’s done in thirty years, got the most applause; his 'remember-me' aberration. The Elvis Costello show was the flashback we all will have in the face of death, though he gets to have one on stage between two typhoons in Taipei.

The venue, Taipei National Music Hall, was a foreboding. No tacky souvenir table had he. The glossy, thin program was for season-ticket holding VIP’s only. Not for regular patrons, like me, paying $135 for the opportunity to see, out of desperation in Taiwan’s vast desert of western pop talent, a trickling oasis. They wouldn’t even give me a bloody program! Why? Because Elvis Costello thinks he belongs to a rarefied cabal of singer-songwriters and has read too many of his own Rolling Stone-Wikipedia biographies. He is not humble to play with a band of other musicians or a crowd of rowdy fans. Oh no, not him. Leave the riffraff for Madonna and The Scorpions. Costello is in the class of Richard Clayderman, who can at least play a clear note on the keyboard. Linda Ronstadt had a Nelson Riddle Orchestra behind her comeback. Where is Bert Bacharach when you need him? "
National Concert Hall, Taipei, September 14, 2016
National Concert Hall, Taipei, September 14, 2016
EC1.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 9241 times
So, it sounds like the standard "Detour" solo show, Not really much the wiser as to what he actually played, but in you can probably fill in the rest yourselves...

MOOT