Every Day I Write The Book
Pump It Up
American Mirror
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
johnfoyle

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Pittsburgh, Heinz Hall- June 13 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Note from Alan -

slight error on the set list. No American Gangster Time, my joke was it was American Encore Time. And Go Tell was played before Watching The Detectives.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/20 ... 1706140086

Sonics are beyond belief at Elvis Costello's 'Imperial Bedroom' show at Heinz Hall

SCOTT MERVIS
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
smervis@post-gazette.com

JUN 14, 2017

A couple songs into Elvis Costello’s Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers Tour stop at Heinz Hall on Tuesday night, the legendary rock genius — well, that’s what he is — looked out at the crowd and said, “I can see that the soulful torment of heartbreak is etched on every one of your faces right now.”

It may very well have been “the soulful torment of heartbreak.”

Or it may have been the soulful torment of “what the [bleep] is up with this sound mix?”

In the early days, during the heyday of punk, Elvis shows were wild, sloppy affairs, but since around 1982 (the last time he played the Cultural District), there’s been a high degree of perfectionism to his performances, and surely the acoustics of Heinz Hall would enhance that.

But from the minute Elvis Costello and The Imposters stepped out with “The Loved Ones,” a track from the masterful “Imperial Bedroom” album that was being celebrated, something was amiss. My mind immediately went to one of those Chuck Berry pick-up band gigs where he was playing in one key and they were in another.

Of course, the Imposters — piano virtuoso Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher — are just one man off from the Attractions (Faragher in for Bruce Thomas) and there’s no way they could be out of sync. So, as they ran through “On the Way Down” (with the first of his frenzied guitar solos), “...And in Every Home” (appended with “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” from another notable concept album) and the beloved “Accidents Will Happen,” all I could do was troubleshoot.

Could they not hear each other? Was the guitar out of tune? Is his mic too low? Did they miss the soundcheck? Was the soundman using the muffle effect? Why did it sound like that chaos that ensues when you click a song on YouTube when you were already streaming Spotify?

Oddly, Elvis was all smiles, with no sign of torment. A knowledgeable music-geek friend — a man who recently ranked his own Top 1,000 favorite songs — posted, “Three songs in, he sounds... lazy. I'm sorry, but he does.”

But as Hall and Oates, who were playing PPG Paints Arena at the same time, would say, “I can’t go for that.”

Elvis wasn’t hitting every note like Streisand, but I thought he sounded just about as bold and passionate as ever. To his left were backup singers Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee adding a touch of wayward soul and occasional go-go dancing.

Doing gems you don’t typically hear at his shows, like “Human Hands” and “Tears Before Bedtime,” presented as a slow torch song, he referred to the 1982 album’s theme of “Slipping down the corridor from the bedroom to the war room … some of you will know what I mean.” Yes, and we were all there to wallow in that brilliant but now muddled lyricism.

While bouncy things like “Moods for Moderns” and “King Horse” were a hot mess in that sound situation, the simpler likes of “Green Shirt” and “Indoor Fireworks” were more under control. “Watching the Detectives,” one of the first songs we ever heard from Elvis, was a standout, between his surf-noir guitar, the green light on his face and the screen flashing posters from cheesy ‘50s detective movies. The colorful artistic renderings of his albums, were a nice visual touch throughout.

He closed with “Imperial” standouts “You Little Fool” and “Pidgin English” -- songs that could have been grand -- and ran off momentarily, only to come back for a more pleasurable second set with fewer Imposters. (I also moved to the back of the hall where the sound was a little less tormented.)

He did a lovely “Alison” just with the ladies, and sat down at the red piano to rework “Little Savage,” sounding better on that mic. Nieve, who was bouncing between several keyboards all evening, got to stretch out his stunning classical chops on “Shot With His Own Gun.” Album closer “Boy With a Problem” was another beauty, and rarity, as Elvis told us that the lyrics written by Chris Difford “too sad” for regular rotation in his sets.

After a tender “Almost Blue,” the Imposters re-emerged to slam through a cacophonous “Uncomplicated” and turn the exquisite “Imperial” album opener “Beyond Belief” into an urgent punk song. “Man Out of Time” had some of its majesty, though Elvis chose to trip it up a bit by lagging behind the band.

He introduced “Town Cryer” noting that he was singing it “with a little trepidation … guess you're all celebrating tomorrow,” referring to the Penguins’ Stanley Cup championship parade.

Never one to leave us without a wild rock ’n’ roll finish, Elvis hit us with the thrashy goodness of “Pump It Up” and “(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” oddly sandwiched around “American Mirror,” a new political ballad about American purpose that we’ll have to fully absorb from the studio version.

Because this show was initially scheduled for November and bumped due to the PSO contract dispute, we all had a long, long time to look forward to it. I went in convinced it would be the second best show of the year (after Nick Cave), showcasing one of my favorite albums of all time, and left feeling like we were better off back at Station Square with the wheel, the trains and the rain.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thoroughly enjoyed myself this time. I had the best seat in the house, let's face it, as far as visuals and proximity. If you look at the first 2 photos posted above, that's my balding pate you see front row center, in the rust colored shirt. Pretty overwhelming to be that close. Wonderful to hear EVERY track from IB, I had never heard Savage or Problem live before. King Horse was the highlight for me, as was the insertion of the chorus of Lucy in the Sky after Every Home.

Surprised to hear In Another Room. Very surprised to find myself enjoying Indoor Fireworks. If I was the type to hit the restroom during a show, that would be the one. But to hear it played as a nice loping country rock number (is this tour the first time he's played it with the Imposters?) was quite pleasant.

Liked the new song, it has to be about Trump. Phrases like imaginary landslide, national (international?) laughing stock, and high crimes and misdemeanors can only point one way.

Sound was strange again. Being where I was, I really can't judge it. Vocals seemed muffled again.

Weirdest thing was I was sure the show was supposed to start at 8 but start time was apparently 7! Lights went down at 7:15 and it's pure luck that we arrived early driving up from Maryland!

dave
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

One other note....there were lots of new backdrops on the screen. Couldn't see a lot of them because Elvis was "in the way". One interesting one had Elvis depicted as an angel and a devil, the two sides of Elvis Costello. Had me wondering if You Want Her Too was about to be played. But instead they left the stage to end the main set. Has anyone seen that backdrop before, used for some other song?

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This is strange: the soundproblems weren't there during the Spinning Songbook years...
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Corrected setlist: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Pittsburgh

01. The Loved Ones
02. On Your Way Down
03. ...And In Every Home - including Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. You'll Never Be A Man
06. Tears Before Bedtime
07. Moods For Moderns
08. Shabby Doll
09. Human Hands
10. Green Shirt
11. Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)
12. Watching The Detectives
13. The Long Honeymoon
14. In Another Room
15. Indoor Fireworks
16. Kid About It
17. King Horse
18. You Little Fool
19. Pidgin English
Encore 1
20. Alison
21. Little Savage
22. Shot With His Own Gun
23. Still
24. I Still Have That Other Girl
25. Boy With A Problem
26. Almost Blue
27. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun
28. Beyond Belief
29. Man Out Of Time
30. Town Cryer
31. Everyday I Write The Book
32. Pump It Up
33. American Mirror
34. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Terrific set - great to see Still and In another room in there.

It's also interesting that only two Face in the Crowd songs were played as well.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis writes about the sound issues on his website: http://www.elviscostello.com/yellow-pre ... sburgh/899

It was a great pleasure to fulfill our postponed engagement at the beautiful Heinz Hall and to have it so warmly received by our friends in Pittsburgh.

It was a great pleasure to fulfill our postponed engagement at the beautiful Heinz Hall and to have it so warmly received by our friends in Pittsburgh.

It was therefore distressing to read that anyone was disappointed by the sound balance, although it must be stated that the following writer was clearly in a very small, if vociferous, minority.

It has, however, come to our notice that some members of the audience remarked on a radically contrasting sound picture in different parts of the hall ranging from clear to indistinct.

This is obviously as disappointing and unacceptable to us as for those for whom the show remained a blur. For as much as this was within our control, we offer you our apologies.

You could also take the view that rock and roll must sometimes be distorted, confusing and even confounding for the practitioners and the audience alike. I'm sure there are some nice calm records in your collection that you could listen to that don't talk back. Some people are impossible to please but we do try our best.

For what it is worth, our on-stage sound that night was the most clearly defined of the tour as some outdoor venues can present more challenges due to the elements.

We frequently rehearse and soundcheck for as long as we perform in order to provide the best show possible and in order to introduce different numbers into our repertoire.

Any substandard performance is constructively discussed and addressed. We do not take anything lightly. We only want the audiences to hear what we intend; both the light and the shadow.

Therefore to attribute an accusation of laziness to a nameless "music-geek" friend and then level it at a band and singer delivering a two-hour and fifty minute performance, that is called back to the stage twice, is a piece of critical cowardice and posturing that is beneath the apparent sincerity of the writer's other complaints.

Have some spine, man.

We do.

Love & Peace. E.C. & The Imps

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/20 ... 1706140086
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

8) message.

It's interesting though that this is a message that has been written on this website since Milo passed away.

You can't teach someone experience. If there are any sound issues then nobody could say it is deliberate. I'm sure forum members who play in bands can attest to having sound problems at their own gigs. My best mate plays in a pub band and I do the sound for them every now and then. Listening to a soundcheck in an empty pub and when they play the same room that is full is very different. Obviously this is on a much much smaller scale than Ec.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Mervis pulling a bit of jerk move as a so called music critic. I wanted to get a look at him, and in my search found no photos, but did see that he plans to respond and that he in fact was invited back stage by the promoter to meet EC & Imps. He did in fact meet Elvis that very night before the show.

He claims EC is his "musical hero" and combined with his own personal meet and greet that night at Heinz Hall, you would think he would put a bit more care into the words he selected for the review. Also, quoting his geek friend in the article is totally lame and shows he is limited in his abilities to actually write in his own voice. Are you into music or what Mervis?

Maybe we should post his mug next to Paul Ryan's on the wiki spineless animals page:

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/28/ ... rates.html

I now feel bad that I have posted notes about sound issues here... But, last night I ran into the guy that puts together the EC Tribute show in SF (he is doing it again this year. Can't wait.) We discussed the show and we both AGREED it was an epic show. This is a must see tour for any and every EC fan.... Mervis is no fan... and as far as I can see, not much of a writer.... let alone a music critic. Pittsburgh can go bit the big one.

Peace - MOJO