Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Florence May 27th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Promotional video on the website of Italian newspaper "Repubblica". It covers a number of upcoming concerts in Florence (Firenze) including Elvis on 27 May:

"Gli appuntamenti della settimana a Firenze

Elvis Costello in concerto al teatro Verdi. Il novantenne regista Peter Brook torna a teatro con Battlefield alla Pergola. Torna in Italia allo spazio Alfieri la multistrumentista Joan As a Police Woman. Mark Lanegan voce del grunge festeggia i suoi cinquanta'anni con uno show teatrale al Metastasio di Prato.

A cura di Elisabetta Berti, montaggio di Luigi Castoro."

Repubblica.it

Narration is in Italian, obviously. On this occasion I will not attempt a translation, but happy for Italian speakers to offer theirs...

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I see in the small print that:

"I bambini sotto i 5 anni di età entrano gratuitamente accompagnati da un adulto, in numero di un bambino/a per ogni adulto, ma non hanno diritto ad occupare un posto a sedere."

or in English:

"Children under 5 years of age enter free accompanied by an adult, in the number of a child / for each adult, but are not entitled to occupy a seat."

So if there is an outbreak of small children crawling round the theatre, we know why. Start their EC concert-going young I say.

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Toledo (presumably in honor of the reference to Florence, Alabama):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0CI_UOgCQ

She:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-SKv4Pu5_4
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by Bernardo Belgrado

https://twitter.com/bega1969

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Partial setlist on setlist.fm:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... ef3da.html

?
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
?
Accidents Will Happen
Ascension Day
Church Underground
Stella Hurt
Invasion Hit Parade
She's Pulling Out the Pin
Shipbuilding
?
Face in the Crowd
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Little White Lies
Toledo
Ghost Train
She
Encore:
Everyday I Write the Book
All This Useless Beauty
Watching the Detectives
New song (?)-Blood & Hot Sauce
Alison
Side By Side
Jimmie Standing in the Rain
I Want You

8 edits (last one by overthewall91 12 minutes ago).
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'd bet that Elvis sang some of All this useless beauty in Italian.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

He surely did part of it in italian at the end/second half of the nineties, in Rome, during the Primo Maggio/Labour Day festival, before an audience of half a million.

By the way, that site now reports that the opening song was Hurry Down Doomsday.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.kalporz.com/2016/05/elvis-co ... ggio-2016/

Monica Mazzoli

Google translation

"Detour", is the name of the last solo tour of Elvis Costello (Declan McManus). A name not chosen by chance, the reference probably is the eponymous film of 1945 directed by Edgar G. Ulmer and based on the novel by Martin Goldsmith. The protagonist of the film, Al Roberts (Tom Neal), says, "That's life. Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you. "Or" In life, whatever way a man decides to go, if fate is contrary to him, lying in wait for him and makes him change direction. ". The poster of the film forty years materializes, so, not surprisingly, on the stage at the Teatro Verdi in Florence Friday, May 27, the fourth Italian date of the "Detour 2016" after Turin, Milan, Padua: the feature film noir poster is shown in reproduction giant of a vintage television - Lupe-O-Tone - while British musician plays "(the Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" from the debut album, "My aim is true", released in 1977. Album, quest 'latest, published by the historic Stiff Records and produced by Nick Lowe, also directed to the four subsequent works of Costello and "Blood and Chocolate" (1986). But the one with the Attractions - Steve Nieve (keyboards), Bruce Thomas (bass), Pete Thomas (drums) - is just one of many "detours" taken from the singer and composer in London.

During the concert the goal, however successful, is precisely to retrace, through memories and funny anecdotes, the many paths traced by Costello musician and man who jokes about right away by playing on the words "tour" - "detour" " 'I have always asked me where I was going', and the answer was always 'tour de'". A musician, so, that tells himself and his family (his father trumpeter Ross McManus) proposing to the guitar (or better guitars, seven) and on the floor, in addition to the famous pieces - "She" (cover of Charles Aznavour, inserted the soundtrack of "Notting Hill"), "Everyday I Write the Book" (first hit single in the United States) or "Watching the Detectives" (first single credited with Attractions and first hit in the UK) - also and above all unreleased cover (so far unpublished), meetings with other authors (Allen Toussaint, Burt Bacharach, Clive Langer) and two songs from "a Face in the crowd," a musical that Costello is working: according to Swiss newspaper Tages Zurich Anzeiger, there are already 17 songs written for the musical adaptation of the eponymous film of 1957 (translated into Italian, "A face in the crowd"), directed by Elia Kazan and written by Budd Schulberg. Seven of these songs have already been presented live last month (April) in the US. In Florence they found the space and title track "Blood & Hot Sauce", both played the piano.

This choice of presenting new songs before the official release records is not surprising, in fact, is the same Costello to declare Mojo in December 2015 that he likes the idea that the songs are played, is the best way to let people know, a little 'as they did before there were discs. Same path for covers of songs already known, never finished on an album or a collection of Costello: reinterpreted according to the taste of the British musician living its own life, coming with a new look to the ears of the public and showing various musical routes pursued by Declan McManus, is the case, for example, of two popular jazz pieces written in 1930, "Little White Lies" and "Walkin 'My Baby Back Home": the first written by Walter Donaldson and published in 1930, portrayed by various artists, including Ella Fitzgerald .; the second written by Roy Turk and music by Fred E. Ahlert, published, among others, also by Nat King Cole.

And often between a song and another jump out stories related to his father, Ross McManus, musician like his son: trumpeter and singer in a big British band fifties by ballroom, Joe Loss & His Orchestra. A father different from that of other peers: wrong in the factory or in the office but appeared on television, playing at home when Costello was twelve years old and has also participated in the Royal Variety Show, with "If I had a hammer", a song video it is transmitted, among other things, by the huge vintage TV on stage. The show, therefore, entertains and excites: we laugh when Costello says he tried to study Italian but not succeeded, "I went into a bar asking in Italian, 'I would like a horned jam'. The woman behind the counter told me in perfect English, 'Yes, we have it but not with marmelade' 'or we are moved when the musician, before performing "Ascension Day", recalls the collaboration with Allen Toussaint, l' album "the River in Reverse" (2006), written during the period when hurricane Katrina struck the city of New Orleans. So the influence of the respiratory tract, which made clear the dates of Antwerp, Paris and Hamburg, really seems a distant memory.
myaimistrue91

Post by myaimistrue91 »

Report on Kalporz site it's mine, I hope you like it. Unfortunately it is in italian.