Elvis (solo) plays Paris , May 17 2016 -cancelled/postponed

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Paris , May 17 2016 -cancelled/postponed

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?

Watch out for Aaron Casey from Cork , Ireland who has told me he will blog about it - http://aaroncasey.blogspot.ie/
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Paris , May 17 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.telerama.fr/sortir/elvis-cos ... 142242.php

Elvis Costello : “A Paris, je joue chaque concert comme si c'était le dernier”

Eric Delhaye

Publié le 14/05/2016.

Avec sa dernière tournée, le brillant songwriter rock se dévoile. Sa vie, son oeuvre, les proches disparus, et malgré tout l'humour et l'énergie qui triomphent.

Votre tournée « Detour » est-elle la bande-son de votre autobiographie, « Unfaithful Music And Disappearing Ink » ?
J'ai développé « Detour » comme une manière originale d'interpréter le répertoire qui est le mien. Depuis 2010, j'ai cessé mes projets d'enregistrements. J'ai bien participé à deux albums, deux expériences extraordinaires, mais presque par accident : Wise Up Ghost avec The Roots, puis le disque collectif Lost On The River : The New Basement Tapes. Je passais mon temps sur la route avec le Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour [les morceaux du concert étaient choisis au hasard en faisant tourner une roue, NDLR]. Au retour, j'ai voulu monter un nouveau show à partir de chansons connues ou non, sans album à défendre. Au même moment, je travaillais sur mes mémoires. La connexion émotionnelle entre mes chansons et ce que j'écrivais — sur ma vie, celle de mon père, de mon grand-père — m'a semblé évidente.

Pourquoi y a-t-il un écran en fond de scène ?
Puisque je parle beaucoup de moi entre chaque morceau, plus que je ne l'ai jamais fait, j'ai aussi voulu projeter des images de ma famille ou d'artistes qui ont été importants à mes yeux. Mais le show n'est pas écrit, il est même en grande partie improvisé. Chaque soir est différent et ce sera évidemment le cas à Paris, une ville avec laquelle j'ai une relation étrange : je me dis que je n'y reviendrai peut-être jamais. J'y joue donc chaque concert comme si c'était le dernier.

David Bowie, Lou Reed et Allen Toussaint apparaissent sur l'écran. Vous qui avez participé à un hommage à Prince en 2013 au Carnegie Hall, pourriez-vous l'ajouter à cette liste ?
D'abord, je veux dire ce n'est pas un spectacle mélancolique. Il y a beaucoup d'énergie et d'humour. Le fait est que j'ai perdu ces gens dont j'étais proche. Prince n'était pas dans cette catégorie. Mais j'ai effectivement participé à ce concert au cours duquel des artistes d'univers très différents ont interprété ses chansons, preuve de ses immenses qualités de compositeur.

“Tout ce que je fais depuis quarante ans, ce ne sont jamais que des mots et de la musique”
Vingt ans en arrière, vous aviez voulu enregistrer une reprise de « Pop Life »... et Prince avait refusé. Du coup, vous avez écrit « The Bridge I Burned », qui est une copie de son morceau.
Il m'est aussi arrivé de refuser... Surtout, j'ai fait cela avec beaucoup d'humour et d'affection pour l'artiste qu'il était : un album comme Parade, c'est du niveau de Duke Ellington.

Dans votre livre comme sur cette tournée, des thèmes sont récurrents, notamment le temps qui passe. Etes-vous préoccupé par ce que l'on retiendra de vous ?
Non. La postérité ne m'intéresse pas. Tout ce que je fais depuis quarante ans, ce ne sont jamais que des mots et de la musique. Si puissants que mes textes soient, jamais ils ne transperceront quiconque comme une balle de fusil. Même les paroles les plus stupides sont plus intelligentes que la violence de notre époque.

Google translation -

Elvis Costello: "In Paris, I play every show as if it were the last"

Eric Delhaye

Published on 05.14.2016.

With his last tour, the brilliant songwriter rock is revealed. His life, his work, the missing relatives, and despite all the humor and energy that triumph.

Your tour "Detour" is it the soundtrack to your autobiography, "Unfaithful Music And Disappearing Ink"?

I developed "Detour" as an original way of interpreting the directory that is mine. Since 2010, I stopped my recording projects. I have attended two albums, two extraordinary experiences, but almost by accident: Wise Up Ghost with The Roots and the collective disc Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes. I spent my time on the road with the Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour [the pieces of the concert were randomly selected by spinning a wheel, Ed]. In return, I wanted to mount a new show from known songs or not, without defending album. At the same time, I was working on my memoirs. The emotional connection between my songs and what I wrote - my life, that of my father, my grandfather - seemed obvious.

Why are there a backdrop screen?

Since I talk a lot between each piece of me, more than I've ever done, I also wanted to project images of my family or artists that were important to me. But the show is not written, it is even largely improvised. Every night is different and this will obviously be the case in Paris, a city with which I have a strange relationship: I tell myself that I will not be back maybe ever. I therefore plays every show as if it were the last.

David Bowie, Lou Reed and Allen Toussaint appear on the screen. You who have participated in a tribute to Prince in 2013 at Carnegie Hall, could you add to this list?

First I want to say this is not a melancholy spectacle. There is a lot of energy and humor. The fact is that I lost the people I was close. Prince was not in this category. But I actually attended the concert in which very different worlds of artists have interpreted his songs, proof of his immense qualities as a composer.

"All I'm doing for forty years, it is never just words and music"

Twenty years ago, you wanted to record a cover of "Pop Life" ... and Prince refused. So, you wrote "The Bridge I Burned", which is a copy of the piece.
It happened to me to refuse ... Especially, I did it with humor and affection for the artist he was: an album like Parade is the level of Duke Ellington.

In your book as on this tour, are recurrent themes, including the passage of time. Are you concerned about what we remember from you?

No. Posterity does not interest me. All I'm doing for forty years, it is never just words and music. So powerful that my texts are, they never stab anyone as a bullet. Even the stupid words are smarter than the violence of our time.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It'll be interesting to see if Steve is around for this one. A number of musicians were at the London shows but none of them joined Elvis onstage. It might be different in Steve's case though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

Show is cancelled says the Olympia website.

"Elvis Costello, souffrant, est au regret de devoir annuler son concert de ce soir, mardi 17 Mai 2016, prévu à l’Olympia."

or as google translate puts it:
"Elvis Costello, suffering, regrets having to cancel her concert tonight, Tuesday, May 17, 2016, provided for the Olympia."

http://www.olympiahall.com/rock-electro ... tello.html
verbal gymnastics

I reckon we must have killed him off after the show on Saturday. Sorry Elvis - get well soon.

I wonder if this is actually cancelled or postponed.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm so glad we didn't make this part of our European tour, VG !!
His voice actually seemed stronger on saturday then previously in the week - I wish I'd given him a cough sweet now ! !( this is not a euphenism !) :roll:
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Paris , May 17 2016 -cancelled/postponed

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

A women near us when he was struggling through Shipbuilding on Saturday night said 'I wonder if he knows', yes I am guessing Elvis knew more than we did.

We were lucky he finished the Palladium shows
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Forgive my ignorance - I tend not to pay attention to show reviews, etc. - but what is wrong with Elvis? Is he sick, or is his voice simply giving out on him as he ages?
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
verbal gymnastics

A bit of both I think.

He tends to play 2.5 hour shows and can struggle with anything more than 2 nights in a row.

On this occasion he has a respiratory infection.

His voice was shot last Wednesday (11th). He had a day off anyway on Thursday. His voice was ok on Friday and was good on Saturday. Obviously we don't know about Sunday as he didn't have a show but he had to cancel last night and tonight.