Elvis & The Imposters play The Roundhouse, London July 6 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play The Roundhouse, London July 6 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As I'm with goon squad we'll probably go in a minute as he's like a child and wants to be first in the queue :roll:

...having said that he does reciprocate by being my carer when I'm a bit tired and emotional! :lol: :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:As I'm with goon squad we'll probably go in a minute as he's like a child and wants to be first in the queue :roll:

...having said that he does reciprocate by being my carer when I'm a bit tired and emotional! :lol: :wink:
glad u guys watch out for each other. GREAT to have a caretaker. i'm ready for the setlist!!! hope u all had a blast
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

ecsongbysong says they've played "Moods for Moderns"(!), "Sunday's Best"(!!), and "Stations of the Cross."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

via @ecsongbyson/Twitter Steven Hanna
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/jade_forester/statu ... 5355743233 Jade Foster

https://twitter.com/m_percival72/status ... 6476654592 Matthew Percival

Nigel Cruttenden @DATACHapp
Elvis (Costello) may have not left the building but We have #HomewardBound #WorstGigEver

Philip Kenley @philkenley
#elviscostello I love you - but tonight worst gig I have ever been to.. Sound crap .. #roundhouse refund?

JP Rangaswami @jobsworth London
#elviscostello #roundhouse an incredible performance so far. Incredible @ The Roundhouse, Camden https://www.instagram.com/p/BHiF3p0A8MN/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Roger Bechirian was at the show , according to his facebook page.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sundays Best??? Further proof he reads us? Seven Day Weekend, Brand New Hairdo, Party Party, Broken and Stamping Ground soon come.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Not to mention Night Rally and Polythene Pam tacked on the end of Sunday's Best !
verbal gymnastics

It was a pretty political set which included

Sunday's best
Pills and soap
Shipbuilding
Night rally (terrific)
Walk us uptown
Moods for moderns
Green shirt
Oliver's army
Face in the crowd (band version)

I guess the sound depended upon where you were. From the front barrier it was great!

He also tacked a song I've never heard before at the beginning and end of The other side of summer - something which included honey bee.

There was very very little talk between songs. I guess they spoke for themselves...
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Setlist:

1. Big Tears
2. No Action
3. Watching The Detectives
4. Wild Honey / The Other Side Of Summer
5. Flutter And Wow
6. Moods For Moderns
7. New Lace Sleeves
8. Sunday's Best
9. Polythene Pam / Walk Us Uptown
10. Beyond Belief
11. Clubland
12. Little Triggers
13. Stations Of The Cross
14. Bedlam
15. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
16. Oliver's Army
17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Encore
18. Pills And Soap
19, A Face In The Crowd
20, Shipbuilding
21, Green Shirt
22, All These Strangers
23. Night Rally
24. Man Out Of Time

Never have I seen a set list like this one, which seems to be a reaction in some ways to Brexit and to the publication today of the Chilcot report on the Iraq War. The first half of the show, before the encore, was almost like a rehearsal for a festival set. The performance of "A Face In The Crowd" was the first band performance of the song, and pretty good it sounded too. As VG said, there was very little chat, no introductions to any song other than Shipbuilding, where Clive Langer was credited, and in many cases, one song flowed into another.

I think "WIld Honey" was the Beach Boys song, but I am willing to be corrected on that, as it was new to me.

Steve was dressed as a Droog, a character in A Clockwork Orange, for some reason.

If you are seeing the Imposters on this short European tour, you should be in for a treat.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

CRAZY setlist...no less than FIVE i have NEVER seen, with another big handful of songs i have seen but once or twice in 119 appearances. THIS BODES WELL FOR A FRENETIC JULY! ENJOY ALL!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Man out of Time wrote:Steve was dressed as a Droog, a character in A Clockwork Orange, for some reason.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Wow. What a setlist! You guys are lucky as hell. I'm hoping there was a thief in the audience with his finger on the record button.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:Wow. What a setlist! You guys are lucky as hell. I'm hoping there was a thief in the audience with his finger on the record button.
8) agree...especially as VG says tidbit played AFTER Other Side Summer also.
First full band RALLY since my second show 4/1/79 Bottom Line
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Holy shit--what a set!

New York City wants to see the Imposters!!!!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Blimey, what a set list! What was the turnout like?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Verbal's photos

Set list & sign thanks to Mike Hobday

Photos by Janice Dyson

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

I thought it was an excellent gig. The sound down the front was spot on. For some reason, the highlight for me was Elvis' improvised jam on the grand piano over the beginning of Bedlam, whilst waiting for a replacement guitar to be brought out having broken a string.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

In reply to Docs question, EC songbysong and I were both there :wink:
verbal gymnastics

It was certainly an enjoyable gig - particularly from the great vantage point of being on the front barrier between Elvis and Steve.

There were a number of unexpected songs which is why I always love seeing Elvis - you never know what's going to happen!

Aside from my previous comments about it being quite a political set:

- Elvis hardly said anything. He did comment on going somewhere to get tramps outfits when they were playing for the toffs tonight
- He said it was good to recognise some faces from the Palladium shows. He certainly made eye contact with me a few times!
- Bedlam was funny as his guitar wasn't working and he plonked himself at the piano. Steve certainly wasn't expecting it.
- There was a lot of humourous interaction between the Imposters. On a couple of songs they kept looking at each other to decide when to end the song. On one ending they all laughed (with relief that they hadn't messed it up I suppose :lol: )

Whilst the show was 2 hours, it's interesting that there were a couple more songs on the setlist. Elvis certainly seemed to enjoy it. It's the first time for a long time that I've seen him stick fairly rigidly to the setlist. However the setlists will loosen up as the tour goes on. I wonder if the political songs will be a feature of the shows.

Great fan forum turnout as well. There were easily a dozen of us who met up before the gig, let alone the others we saw when we were in there.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Just to emphasise what an extraordinary set list this was, I have been digging to see when some of these songs were last played.

For example:

Big Tears - 2012
No Action - 2014
Moods For Moderns - 1980
Sunday's Best - 1978 (only three previous performances)
Stations Of The Cross - 2014
Pills And Soap - 2014
Night Rally - 2014, although this was the first Imposters' performance of the song.

Clearly Moods for Moderns and Sunday's Best were also firsts for The Imposters. This was only the second ever performance of "Flutter & Wow" in the UK, following a previous performance in Edinburgh in 2013. At one point last night Elvis turned to Steve and asked him to start the next song. There was some hesitation on Steve's part, possibly because he had a grand piano and about six keyboards to choose from. On "A Face In The Crowd" Elvis played piano, Steve added a little colour and Pete and Davey did not much more than keep time, but it is still a rousing song. Oddly what started out as an anti-Trump song, has now become something of an anti-Brexit song. On the day that the Chilcot report into the Iraq war was published, it was right to hear "Bedlam" and "All These Strangers" and "Oliver's Army" and "Shipbuilding".

The layout of the stage was a shock, with no giant TV. Davey's mike was positioned well back (almost level with Pete) which was unusual. There were four or five guitar stands for Elvis. There were three acoustic guitars, but I don't think Elvis used anything but an electric guitar all night (but I could be wrong). A real departure from on DeTour.

For me the sound was fine, except during Shipbuilding when something like feedback mixed with Steve's piano.

Funniest thing was seeing drops of sweat falling from the points of Elvis' black waistcoat, then seeing Davey walk off at the end in a suit that could have been fresh from the Dry Cleaners. Elvis certainly works hard, but hopefully his voice will hold out on this string of shows.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Pretty sure the Imposters did Moods for Moderns as fill in music during the Spinning Songbook tours