Elvis (solo ) , The Palladium, London , Saturday May 14th 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
Azmuda

Re: Elvis (solo ) , The Palladium, London , Saturday May 14th 2016

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle wrote:Photos by @ecsongbysong

Some light shed on a mystery: “Woman Makes The Man,” says EC, was “written by Lord Explainer.”
Lord Explainer (Winston Henry)'s 1987 eponymous ninth album has a song titled "Woman"

https://www.discogs.com/artist/807799-Explainer
https://www.discogs.com/Explainer-Expla ... se/2534661

http://www.ebay.de/itm/EXPLAINER-S-T-SA ... 1618601063
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Arbogast wrote:Well, speaking from way over here in NYC, and based only on the setlist, this looks to have been the best of the London shows. Yes?
Absolutely. Elvis even said along the lines of "For those of you who have come more than one night - and I thank you for that - you've come the right night".

Proper review later.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Having had to miss the last 7 songs on Friday in order to get the last train ( :cry: ) I am so glad I made the executive decision to book a cab on Saturday as it was a fantastic gig. Despite his croaky voice it was one of the best.
More to follow..............
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

After the disappointment of missing the Warwick and Wednesday night gig at the Palladium through work, I was not let down last night.

Despite the obvious throat problems it was a stunning gig. The stories have developed since last years Detour shows but Elvis just seemed so relaxed. Was the hat making him self conscious?

Funnily enough when he came on stage a (Scottish?) voice called out of the darkness 'where's the hat?' It was there, hanging on the back of the blue chair

Fantastic set. Pity he didn't play all the songs on the printed set list.

Absolutely loved Burn the Paper Down to Ash. Surely he will record with Larkin Poe? And God's Comic with the audience cheering and applause.

Great to hear Larkin Poe are joining him in Italy as I'll be in Bologna (now Derby have decided not to go to Wembley this season) and Brescia

Shame about the Roundhouse gig as I'll be in Pompeii that day watching David Gilmour. I'll have to try and fit in another Imposter show

And despite the 11.25 finish I still made my 11.44 train from Euston. Just a good night all round :D
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think picking Coventry and this as my two shows means I've probably made the best choices of this mini tour. Elvis still had the remnants of a sore throat and got a little more croaky in the middle of the concert but he pulled out a few wonderful surprises, including starting with Green Shirt and then putting So Like Candy into the mid section - (one of my little niggles has been the sameness of the middle 6 or so songs from Accidents to Shipbuilding but there again with so much more to say with his reminiscences, it probably helps to know that certain anecdotes will lead into precise songs). I certain didn't miss "It's Not My Time To leave" or "You're Wondering Now" but the delight of "I Want To Vanish" was obvious to a whole load of devotees in the audience judging by the reaction after Elvis finished. Great to hear the take of Hoover Factory and even God's Comic ( my bete noire of EC songs - like DDTM for VG !) and the slide by Megan at least livened it up. Rebecca's vocals take Burn The Paper Down To Ash to a sublime level and the joy they show whilst playing on stage with Elvis is genuine and uplifting. (though Good Luck with the Queen fans!!)
Finally a great social occasion for the forum with numerous legends and dogends in the mix at the show before and after ( with apologies to anyone I've missed ) including VG, Goon Squad, Mr. and Mrs. Sheep, Mr. and Mrs Bradwell boy -though I failed to say hi to Mrs. B, - MOOT, Nichola, Ronnie, Mr and Mrs. Oliversa1, Peter G, Peter H. and Anna and to finally meet Steve from the U.S. - a legend indeed in the recording world of EC was the final cherry on the top of the icing for me - just apologies for not having more time to chat, Steve. I made good time home, reaching misty Devon by 3:40 am and packing in 4 1/2 hours sleep !
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Sulky I think you have summed it up perfectly. Great to see everyone and look forward to seeing you at the roundhouse and thank you Elvis for Shot With His Own Gun
verbal gymnastics

This was quite simply, a stunning show. I was lucky enough to have front row centre seats with sulky and Elvis did a lot more looking around. He clocked us a couple of times and acknowledged us at the end which was great.

I said earlier about Elvis saying about people coming the right night. That Elvis was up for it became apparent very early on. He played one of those shows where he could happily have played all night. When he came out and launched into the first 3 songs, you knew it was going to be a good show. He also looked better.

I think Elvis kind of knew he owed us, and he really went for it.

The between song stories were good and some of them were mercifully edited which meant more playing time.

There were too many highlights to mention. Suit of lights was clearly impromptu. He decided to play something and some people shouted out songs (one of who shouted out for Accidents will happen which had already been played :? ). Elvis said "Even I don't know what I'm going to play". I should have shouted out something as he was just above me but I got caught up in the moment.

Key song highlights

Accidents had a shortened story - he left out the taxi driver bit.
I want to vanish was gorgeous
Shot with his own gun was further proof of Elvis' people looking at the forum (see what I mean FrankieJ 8) :wink: )
After Almost Blue Elvis made reference to seeing Diana sing it at the Royal Albert Hall and realising he was smitten
The woman makes the man was about the space race
Burn the paper down to ash was again stunning. I asked Rebecca if she could ask Elvis if she could borrow it for their shows. She has a terrific voice (goon squad also suggested she is ideal to play the part of Suzi Quatro if they ever make a film about her life)
God's comic - not a favourite of mine - was really good. I'm not sure if the girls had seen the call and respond bits before but they seemed to enjoy it!

After one of the songs Elvis blew a kiss to Diana who was, again, in one of the boxes.

I went on the first, third and last nights. The first and last night were definitely the better ones. The last night of Detour 2015 at Basingstoke was fantastic and this was definitely on a par. Personally I'd say it was better but you pays your money etc.

Elvis' voice held up well and the occasional croak added to the tenderness in a couple of the songs.

Outside, we waited for about an hour before Elvis came out. The crowd did dwindle. He came out just after 12.15am but he graciously signed stuff and posed for pictures. There wasn't really chance for individual chats. I'm glad I waited and even more pleased for Elvis' nods to me and sulky. It made a great evening even more worthwhile. I got home just before 2am but on nights like this it doesn't matter.

It was also a terrific fan forum turn out and we had a great time. I think another meet up is in order...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Verbal's photos

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

@ecsongbysong 's photo of the control screen for the big TV on the stage

the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Arbogast wrote:Well, speaking from way over here in NYC, and based only on the setlist, this looks to have been the best of the London shows. Yes?
Absolutely. Elvis even said along the lines of "For those of you who have come more than one night - and I thank you for that - you've come the right night".
This is what I get for only going to 50% of the shows :evil: :cry:
verbal gymnastics

I suggest you have stern words with your management team although you can't switch your manager to mine :lol: :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana posted this on Twitter earlier today - https://twitter.com/DianaKrall/status/7 ... 2985115648
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

It was longer than any other night, and featured a similar set list, except towards the end, where Elvis seemed reluctant to leave the stage. At one point, he stood in front of a microphone with a guitar and simply said "I don't know what I am going to play next". The answer as it turned out was "Suit Of Lights". Those moments are always exciting.

All four nights were good with enough variety to keep it interesting, within essentially the same structure:

- a guitar section,
- a piano section,
- a seated section (on guitar) featuring "my special guest"; then
- another guitar section,
- the first encore with Larkin Poe,
- two guitar songs inside the TV,
- the third encore with a mix of guitar and piano; and
- Larkin Poe back for the final one or two songs.

Within that there was some narrative that we enjoyed every night, around Elvis' jobs before becoming a musician, around Elvis' father and grandfather, and around the late Allen Toussaint.

Also there were the new songs, with Elvis giving these some context. A good balance between structure and variety, with different song choices and the sense that the concert was flowing. The only slow point being when the crew have to set up the TV stage, which took a couple of minutes, but that also allowed Elvis to get his breath back.

I look forward to seeing something similar in Madrid next month, assuming Elvis is fit again.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle wrote:
Photos by @ecsongbysong

Some light shed on a mystery: “Woman Makes The Man,” says EC, was “written by Lord Explainer.”

Lord Explainer (Winston Henry)'s 1987 eponymous ninth album has a song titled "Woman"

https://www.discogs.com/artist/807799-Explainer
https://www.discogs.com/Explainer-Expla ... se/2534661

http://www.ebay.de/itm/EXPLAINER-S-T-SA ... 1618601063

At vast expense ( well ,a tenner) I got this album . I only had time to drop the needle on Woman and it seems unlikely it is the mystery song, going by the recording of the Warwick show. I'll play the rest of the album as soon as I can and try and see if the song is there under another title
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Just catching up with photos, here are some of my photos from the Palladium...

My head is spinning and my legs are weak