Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
FrankieJ

Re: Elvis (solo ) , The Palladium, London , Wednes May 11th 2016

Post by FrankieJ »

Me... again.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

See Tickets let me upgrade, so I'm now front row for this show. Got too jealous when I saw all you lot were up front! :P
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
You know you're at the right @ElvisCostello show when you run into Nick Lowe at the lobby bar.
And No Coffee Table

Brief clip of "I Want You":
https://twitter.com/johnmac201/status/7 ... 8970205185

Periscope video of "Oliver's Army" and "Shipbuilding":
https://www.periscope.tv/adriangristy/1jMJgDRjyyAxL

The second video cuts off just as EC starts to introduce "A Face In The Crowd"!
And No Coffee Table

a tiny bit of Pads, Paws And Claws:
https://www.periscope.tv/adriangristy/1jMJgDRzmdkxL

Nothing Clings Like Ivy / Blame It On Cain:
https://www.periscope.tv/adriangristy/1OdJrQOkOaXGX

This one cuts off as EC is introducing another A Face In The Crowd song.

Man Out Of Time / PLU / Happy Birthday To You (for Megan Lovell, whose birthday is tomorrow):
https://www.periscope.tv/adriangristy/1nAJEwEjWZYKL
And No Coffee Table

https://twitter.com/ecsongbysong/status ... 5522743296
London, 5/11/16. “American Mirror” with @LarkinPoe.

And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -11_London

01. Lipstick Vogue
02. Watch Your Step
03. Mystery Dance
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Ascension Day
06. 45
07. I Want You
08. Oliver's Army
09. Shipbuilding - on piano
10. A Face In The Crowd - on piano
11. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
12. Little White Lies
13. Ghost Train
14. She
Encore 1
15. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
16. Nothing Clings Like Ivy - with Larkin Poe
17. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
18. Burn The Paper Down To Ash - with Larkin Poe, sung by Rebecca Lovell
19. Clown Strike - with Larkin Poe
20. American Mirror - with Larkin Poe, EC on piano
Encore 2
21. Alison - inside the TV
22. Pump It Up - inside the TV
Encore 3
23. Watching The Detectives
24. Man Out Of Time
25. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe - including Happy Birthday To You for Megan Lovell

I assume "Little White Lies" is the 1930 song included on last year's MOJO CD curated by EC.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The setlist is identical to the one the night before! From the annotations I'm guessing this wasn't a stage setlist...

Elvis played a much shorter number of songs tonight in a show that was still 2hrs 25 minutes. The bad news was that his voice was completely shot. The first encore with Larkin Poe was not as much fun as the previous night but Rebecca's singing on Burn the paper was again stunning whilst American Mirror saw Elvis at the piano with the 2 girls singing harmonies on 1 microphone.

It was a great start with the first 3 songs being different to the 1st night. But it was soon evident that his voice was in trouble. He wisely dropped the usual Side by side/I can't stand up segment later on and, sadly, Jimmie.

Ronan MacManus and Nick Lowe were both there so we thought there'd be a guest slot or 2.

He also wisely didn't overstretch his voice on some of the slower songs. The faster songs didn't sound as bad.

I had some doubts when I originally the shows included 3 nights in a row as previous experience has shown that doing a lengthy show 3 nights in a row takes its toll. Sadly it's proved to be the case. I think Elvis will have a point to prove for the last 2 nights on Friday and Saturday.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The setlist is identical to the one the night before! From the annotations I'm guessing this wasn't a stage setlist...

Elvis played a much shorter number of songs tonight in a show that was still 2hrs 25 minutes. The bad news was that his voice was completely shot.
I hung around to try to get a stage setlist last night, but no one I saw succeeded. Elvis said after the show that his voice was fine that afternoon, but that he had some weird virus that had led his voice to start to fail, then let it recover again in the second half of the show. He said that his crew for the US tour had suffered a range of illnesses and he seems to have brought one of them over with him. For me it did detract from the show. He steered clear of some of the more vocally challenging songs (Jimmie and Side By Side) and ducked some of the more stretching notes (e.g. at the end of "She").

We did get the bonus "Little White Lies" to make up for a less than 100% version of "Walkin' My Baby Back Home", and yes this is the 1930s song previously recorded by Sinatra amongst others.

Elvis chatted afterwards about "A Face In The Crowd", and seemed pleased with the response to the new songs. Let us hope he is in better voice Friday and Saturday.

Amongst those in the audience last night, as well as Nick Lowe, were Krishnan Guru-Murthy (C4 newsreader), Angela Eagle MP and Maria Eagle MP. Also all the BibleCodeSundays.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Twitter says Clive Owen was there.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Well, my first front row Elvis experience... bloody wonderful. Shame Elvis had a bit of a cold, but excellent nonetheless.

I sat next to a lone guy and we got talking about Paul McCartney. I always seem to sit next to people like me who attend alone. Luckily, EC is the one topic I can talk a lot about. It wasn't one of you lot, was it? Someone snuck a microphone in front of me disguised in a jumper, so seems a recording of it is out there, or will be.

Some guy tried to get up on stage and steal something... setlist perhaps. I often wondered how so many members on here manage to get stuff like that. Some people were even going backstage to meet EC. Someone teach me how to get this kind of luck? :P

Half tempted to attend Friday's show... perhaps two thirds tempted now. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

FrankieJ wrote:Well, my first front row Elvis experience... bloody wonderful. Shame Elvis had a bit of a cold, but excellent nonetheless.

I sat next to a lone guy and we got talking about Paul McCartney. I always seem to sit next to people like me who attend alone. Luckily, EC is the one topic I can talk a lot about. It wasn't one of you lot, was it? Someone snuck a microphone in front of me disguised in a jumper, so seems a recording of it is out there, or will be.

Some guy tried to get up on stage and steal something... setlist perhaps. I often wondered how so many members on here manage to get stuff like that. Some people were even going backstage to meet EC. Someone teach me how to get this kind of luck? :P

Half tempted to attend Friday's show... perhaps two thirds tempted now. :D
The more polite people are on this forum. I've patiently waited for a setlist and had someone snatch it as it's being given to me. There was a guy last year in Newcastle who did that. I've been seeing Elvis for a while and have a recognisable face :lol: so sometimes I get one. There's no hard and fast rule. On Tuesday only a few people waited to try and get a setlist. Last night there were at least 20 people waiting and I'm not that bothered about it. I usually give mine away anyway.

Some people also record the shows but don't share it which is their right of course.

Fortunately the people here are a good friendly community.

I've no idea about going backstage but I'm not interested in that anyway. It's not usually too long a wait to meet Elvis at the stage door for a chat, a photo and an autograph.