Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

A big welcome back to Mr. Average!
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Yes, Dapper-Draper-Stapler Man!! We've missed you, m'dear!!

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Boy With A Problem wrote:They play "Pump It Up" at Fenway Park - late in the game, as things get tense.
Not necessary last night, eh Boy?!! FOURTEEN runs in the first inning-- Jesus! Wish I'd seen it, live or otherwise...
Boy With A Problem

Mug -

After tonight's game I'm in search of a bridge to jump off.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

BWAP: Don't jump!!!!!
Boy With A Problem

I've been talked off the ledge. They won today.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yeah, best to have those nitro pills on hand where the Sox are concerned...

Despite that I wish I had the time/opportunity to follow them more closely.
A rope leash

Couldn't call it unexpected...

Post by A rope leash »

sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Cool link, Rope.

I'd choose Paul Harvey over Rush Limbaugh any old day.

:shock:
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

I noticed that there is a new program on PBS about unearthing the mysteries of farmhouses (or somesuch) ... can't remeber the name of the program (it is not on the air yet) but the promo spots play Watching the Detectives in the background - certainly NOT the first time EC's music has een combined with this format of media but possibly so in the US :?: - and quite unexpected at three am at any rate.

Poor Napoleon
I bet she isn't all that's advertised
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
jillbeast

I heard Elvis on my Soap Opera!!

Post by jillbeast »

The most unlikely Elvis I ever heard was on "All My Children" back in 1996. On the show, they were in BJ's (the local burger joint) and "All this Useless Beauty" came on in the bar! It was so funny!

I've also heard Muzak versions of songs in the local grocery store, but I can't recall which songs at the moment...I think it might have been Red Shoes and WTD! It always makes me smile when I hear Elvis out of the blue! This one local station says they support Elvis but rarely play him unless they have a contest giving away tickets to his shows. They are the best supporters he has locally, but I think they could have him in rotation more often than say...John Mayer or Jack Johnson!

Jill
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I went to mod parties all weekend, and was treated to the original versions of "I Stand Accused" and "Leave My Kitten Alone." My poor friend had probably thought a mod party would be a safe haven from Elvis talk...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

miss ba, what's a mod party? or is mod just another way of saying fun & exciting? just need to know what i'm missing. :)
bobster

Post by bobster »

The title "Watching the Detectives", sans music has been thrown around on a lot. A&E used it to promote a week of Biography shows, or maybe it was a Law & Order promotion, I can't remember.

It also appears on the cover of this month's Harper's which I got in the mail last Friday.

And I heard "Alison" at the Rite Aid drug store on La Brea in Hollywood two days ago. Tragically, this resulted in my failure to buy a much needed new toothbrush.

Alert the media!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I heard Sulky Girl once at the supermarket (for the record, it was Woolworths). I wonder if it caught anyone else's attention along the isles..
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I helped my soon-to-be brother-in-law out last year by working for him at Office Max November-December. One Night they let me play Armed Forces....one guy on the Furniture pad was digging it!
My managers weren't impressed.... :?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

My husband was tuned in Sunday morning to "Mystery Science Theatre" (okay, I'm not sure of the exact name..the guy w/ the robots that sits in the "Theatre" in silhouette for the length of some totally forgettable Sci-Fi BOMB; the crappy movie is kept alive by 'witty commentary' alone). At any rate, it was some brainless 1970's POS, and the "heroine" is examining pictures in her new boyfriend's den. One of the robots pipes up & says:

"OOH! It's a picture of Elivs Costello with Alan Deitrich!!"

What in the HELL is that supposed to mean??

:?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Poppet wrote:miss ba, what's a mod party? or is mod just another way of saying fun & exciting? just need to know what i'm missing. :)
At mod parties, everyone dresses in sixties clothes and dances to Northern Soul. It's the most fabulous time you'll ever have in your whole life, but apparently I owe my friend a night out at a hip hop club now, so I guess she wasn't super-impressed.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mod clubs are a great load of fun.. I'd recommend them to whoever wants to dance to Smokey Robinson or The Kinks.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oooh, i like northern soul. this sounds like fun.

however, i need another 'attend in costume' gig like i need, well, nothing.

to try to keep this on topic, in my college dorm there was a poster for "Every Man Has a Woman" with a copy of EC's signature on it. this, of course, was AGES before i discovered the wonder of EC.

but i did manage to snag that poster. still have it, after many many moves. it's sorta' beat, but i do plan on framing it someday soonish. it's hung in my kitchen, wherever i've lived, for years.
HungupStrungup

"I wouldn't live like that, nosiree. . . ."

Post by HungupStrungup »

LessThanZero said
Here in Kalamazoo, Spooky Girlfriend would and will never ever get played on any radio station. . . around here, country, pop, "alternative", rock, and easy listening all PLAY THE SAME FREAKING SONGS!!! and no song is an elvis song. why do i live here?
Why does anyone?

and lipstickvogue said
I noticed that there is a new program on PBS about unearthing the mysteries of farmhouses (or somesuch) ... can't remeber the name of the program (it is not on the air yet) but the promo spots play Watching the Detectives in the background
That's "The History Detectives," which uses WTD as its theme. Here it follows The NewsHour on whichever night it's on. I'll be finishing dinner or doing dishes and get a little unplanned and unexpected Elvis fix, which happens all too rarely.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Smallfaces1

i turned on tv last night

Post by Smallfaces1 »

i turned on tv last night to watch a pretty boring program about a roque accident insurance company who talked people into putting false insurance claims in when BAM, staight away ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN was played all through the beginning! this made it a bit more interesting and then in half the way through they played I CAN'T STAND UP FOR FOR FALLING DOWN.

was pretty cool. or am i just a geek?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

i turned on tv last night to watch a pretty boring program about a roque accident insurance company who talked people into putting false insurance claims in when BAM, staight away ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN was played all through the beginning! this made it a bit more interesting and then in half the way through they played I CAN'T STAND UP FOR FOR FALLING DOWN.
They ALWAYS use AWH on those kind of programmes! Also, there's one on the BBC soon called Watching The Detectives. I bet you don't hear the song. Okay, it's so bloody obvious you will.

There's a student who lives below me and I heard Lipstick Vogue blasting out of his window yesterday. I wanted to go kiss him....right after I told him to turn it down. He escaped my wrath this time.
Boy With A Problem

Last night (Thursday) - between the bottom of the 6th and top of the 7th at Fenway - they played "Mystery Dance" in it's entirety. The crowd erupted in huge applause just as the guitar solo kicked in (ok so the solo coincided with Manny trotting out to left field after having hit a bomb over the Monster. And his rocket shot was hit into a head wind).
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I saw 16 Candles and she said something like:

"I can't get happy. It's physically impossible for me to get happy."

even though it's probably a coincidance, I WAS ELATED! I'm going crazy.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.