Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Heard Almost Blue on the radio today. Live in-studio version by Marc Jordan. Show was Joe Sealy's Duets - much like Mariam McPartland's Piano Jazz - on JazzFM91 from Toronto. Host was impressed EC has "many tricks up his sleeve".
John

Post by John »

Pump It Up has just been played, almost in full and loudly, during a flashback to a 1970's murder during BBC detective programme Dalziel and Pascoe.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

A letter from a reader in Empire got the headline "Hail Oliver's Army" (it's about the weak "Alexander")
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

So I'm at the Alladin Hotel in Las Vegas at their lunch buffet (I have come to realize I'm not a buffet person. I'm only 130 pounds and I cannot eat all that much at one sitting) when 'Pump It Up' plays
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

... and I'm in Starbucks, enjoying a quiet moment with the lady wife, when the usual soundtrack of sweet and soulful jazz is brutally interupted by Monkey to Man ...
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Toronto jazz station http://www.jazz.fm had a special this morning all about New Standards; EC was prominently featured.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Whoa! I was just watching an episode of Faking It on BBC America, and they showed a clip of a television gossip reporter interviewing Elvis!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I was watching Fast Times At Ridgemont High and pointing out all the Elvis posters that Demone had on his wall to my daughter
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I saw a commercial for Shark Tales coming to DVD soon and Pump It Up was playing. Was it in the movie?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

So my Uncle was about to go snorkling in Hawaii, when a short, pasty, pudgy man handed his spectacles to a tall blonde jazz artist. The man had a big black snorkling mask on, and was Elvis Costello. My uncle nodded. Elvis raised his eyebrows.

They could've been diving for pearls...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I heard it in the trailer too. Then went to see the movie with my kids and didn't hear a note from Pump It Up. :(
I also checked the soundtrack listing on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307453/soundtrack
and it's not there.

Rather strange.....
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

I am at work, and just turned on the radio. The station was set to WEPN, which is an all-sports radio station here, and a familiar voice is heard.

'Hello, this is Elvis Costello and your listening to the Michael Kay Show'

this is followed by into to Pump it Up.

Michael Kay (the host of the show) comes on and asks, who was that again, to which the producer says, that was Elvis Costello.

No further comments...
Why are we racing to be so old?
mimimartini

Post by mimimartini »

invisible Pole wrote:I heard it in the trailer too. Then went to see the movie with my kids and didn't hear a note from Pump It Up. :(
I also checked the soundtrack listing on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307453/soundtrack
and it's not there.

Rather strange.....
Actually that happens a lot. A song will be used to promo a movie (or whatever) and will not actually be in the movie or on the soundtrack. Just a little bit of marketing trivia for ya....... :D
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I heard a bit of Watching the Detectives today on NPR's Marketplace. I can't figure out what if anything it had to do with either the story before or after it. :)

A bit of research even confirmed it ... http://marketplace.publicradio.org/show ... 31/pm.html
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oddly enough, if you click on the "purchase" button, it links you to the Armed Forces reissue, not TYM. Of course, Armed Forces includes the amazing live version of WTD from Hollywood High, but the clip used on today's Marketplace (I heard it twice...I've gotten so used to this kind of thing that I barely notice) was clearly the studio version.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

They used Accidents Will Happen and PLU in an episode of Cold Case (a not very good US cop show) I saw last night - they were supposed to set the mood - as the original murder took place in 1978 (didn't these songs come out in '79?) - they also used Cheap Trick's Surrender, Nick Lowe's Cruel To Be Kind, The Cars Living In Stereo and the Buzzcocks Why Can't I Touch It in the show. How do they get the clearance for these songs? - What kind of money is involved? they used PLU in an especially horrible montage at the end.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've noticed a lot on shows like this they use what you might call recreations of the original recordings, to save money. I'm sure they spend quite a lot on the rights, regardless. The funny part was that, at the time, it wasn't like these songs (with the exception of "Surrender") were something you heard "everywhere" back then. Well, "Cruel to be Kind" was a legitimate top 40 hit and got a fair amount of play, briefly, which made me very, very happy. But none of the others.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

I think it was Miami Vice that 1st used 'real' rock music in it's soundtrack? I recall very effective use of U2 & Glenn Frey.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I watched an episode of Desperate Housewifes last night. Teri Polo asked the dark, handsome, dangerous guy about his favorite band and he said Elvis Costello. Polo said: "That's one man not a band" Handsome guy said: "But it's a man with a band"
Goes to show how the scriptwriter thinks of Elvis Costello fans...and ain't it the truth :wink:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

The other day I was very uplifted when I heard What A Good Year for The Roses playing at the local super market, Super Best. :lol: I started singing along while I looked for ribs.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"But at least you thought you wanted ribs, that's more than I can ever say for me"
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I was in Amagercentret (a shoppingmall) yesterday and they played a cd with muzak-covers of Beatles, Bee Gees etc. In between they played EC's version of 'I Wanna Be Loved".

I Guess the muzak-cd producers found it unnecessay to add the muzak-feel...
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Oh you cutting Dane.
I rather like it ......
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Fishfinger king wrote:Oh you cutting Dane.
I rather like it ......
Me too - kind of in it's own strange way.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Elvis put in two appearances on BBC TV last night.

In the first, 'Queens of Country', he said that Patsy Cline was 'up there with Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra'.

Later, in 'EmmyLou Harris - From a Deeper Well' he said that Gram & EmmyLou performed 'the greatest duets in popular music, not just Country'.

He's certainly an enthusiastic talking head :)