Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis when you least expect it

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Letter to the editor in yesterday's Los Angeles Times:
It's amusing to read Jonah Goldberg's rambling complaint that the Republican rift-healing is stifled by "an elephant named George in the room."

It also raises the question: Gee, Jonah, who opened the door and let that behemoth in to stay? Finding the answer requires a look not into the "GOP looking glass" but in what Elvis Costello called the "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror."

Blaise Jackson
Escondido
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

At the French Film festival showing of Les Liens du sang this evening and , besides enjoying this 1970's set cop drama, I was amused to a scene involving a red light district with posters on a wall including a black 'n white poster of Elvis -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942379/
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

CostelLover

Post by CostelLover »

That is amazing, Scielle. I admire your dedication ~ it certainly trumps mine.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Um, I have no idea who this is - though I'm surprised they're not a regular here
And No Coffee Table

Not sure what to say about this one.
'Life is short. Have an affair."

That's the slogan of the Ashley Madison dating service, a website for people who want to cheat on their partners. That's right, unlike traditional Internet dating sites -- where you're expected to say you're unattached no matter what the truth is -- Ashley Madison is honest about its duplicity. Unlike match.com, with its married interlopers, Ashley Madison isn't about to break the hearts of innocent singles who only want to live happily ever after with someone who loves Elvis Costello as much as they do.
woz

Post by woz »

U2's new song Get On Your Boots with a reviewer's reference to Elvis and Pump it Up.

Pundits are already splitting hairs about "GOYB" -- does it sound like Elvis Costello circa "Pump It Up" or the Temptations classic "Ball of Confusion"? Both connections are plausible, and there's also a fuzzy Stooges-style guitar riff that would have made Ron Asheton chuckle. But the fusion "GOYB" represents is hardly new for U2 or longtime producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

See the full article at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... ent-u.html

Have a good day.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Those zappanoids sure got weird senses of humor...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Elvis is sandwiched between the Ackermonster and Jesus Christ. Than means something.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Yeah, they strange. Mean, too...and not quite as intelligent as I thought they would be. I had myself banned because I was tired of responding to their idiocy (but I couldn't stop!)

This board is a lot more civilized. I do like picture association, though. Would you guys like to try it?

...and how have you been, anyway? I'm still alive after the ice storm. It caused me to have a very bad rant. I'd post it but it's filthy.

obushma.jpg
obushma.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 22640 times

'night!
scielle

Post by scielle »

Someone in my apartment complex has been planing his guitar all day with windows wide open - so far he's sung PLU and Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Sounds quite good, I must say.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

...Or rather Diana when you least expect her. I watched an extremely tedious film last night called Publie Enemies with Johnny Depp. Diana makes a very brief appearance as a night club singer performing Bye Bye Blackbird.
woz

Post by woz »

Heard Beyond Belief on the sound system background music at Nordstroms department store this past Saturday, July 25.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I heard PL&U on Dallas radio last week. SHOCKER!!!!
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Twitter: "Joe Scarborgouh playing guitar & singing Elvis Costello's 'Mystery Dance' with The Roots on @jimmyfallon" - Anyone see this?
And No Coffee Table

This probably won't work in the UK, but it's on Hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/87712/late-ni ... aug-5-2009

About 34 minutes in.
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:This probably won't work in the UK, but it's on Hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/87712/late-ni ... aug-5-2009

About 34 minutes in.
Aging MSNBC Host Ruins Elvis Costello and Sex For Everyone, Ever
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

last night in st louis billie joe drug a 6 year old out of the audience to lay hands on her and heal. somehow after whispering instructions under the cacaphony to a very trusting little girl (not to mention parents), she fell perfectly to the floor at the precise moment music raged and firebombs went off and she stayed there till the end of the song. her name was alison, so, you got it, after this he sang to her a slightly ersatz verse and chorus very kindly leaving leaving out "take off your party dress". then he told her to go away he was done with her, the indian giver made her "give back my fuckin' bunny ears", and sent her back to the crowd.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2 ... _video.php

(extract)

And so on the premise that kids needed to be saved young, Armstrong announced that he wanted a kid to come onstage. Security hoisted a six-year-old Chicago girl named Alison from the front. (And yes, the entire crowd booed her hometown. Stay classy, St. Louis.) Armstrong did the requisite intro, whispered something to her, and as the song started up, put her hand to his forehead, as if he was a preacher. Then a bang of pyrotechnics went off and she suddenly dropped to the stage floor - and stayed there for the rest of the song.

Frankly, the scenario was kind of horrifying. As if to mitigate the event, Armstrong lead the crowd in a chant of "Alison!" and played a snippet of the titular Elvis Costello tune after. But the gesture was confusing: Was it supposed to be symbolic? Was it supposed to be fun? It didn't come across as either of those things.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

the whole farging show was juuuuuust farrrrrrrging awwwwwwesome. and no one threw up on me.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

Double dose of EWYLEI on a plane journey from Europe back to South East Asia last night. 1st film I watched was called 'Genova' and it featured a fairly long scene between Colin Firth and Catherine Keener whilst EC's Shibuilding played in the background. 2nd up I watched 'The Boat that Rocked' and this ended with with a montage of 'classic rock' (sic) album covers including MAIT. Needless to say both films proved to be box office hemlock...
Feck
scielle

Post by scielle »

On twitter, from 'English Professor and Associate Dean, SFU' (that's Simon Fraser Uni in Vancouver).

"PaulBudra: Preparing a case to get Elvis Costello and honorary doctorate."
reviR

Post by reviR »

Shipbuilding - in my local pub.

Very strange - usually Dean Martin etc and/or military marching band music!
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Out to eat with the wife on Saturday night in Allen, TX USA...as soon as we're seated "New Lace Sleeves" comes on the restaurant's music system....http://www.ralphandkacoos.com/ was the restaurant