Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was just watching the Behind The Scenes 'Making Of' featurette on the Lost In Translation DVD, and there is a clip of Bill Murray entertaining the crew with a hillarious dance to "Alison" in his bathrobe.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
eric

Muzak

Post by eric »

I heard a Muzak version of Detectives as I walked thorugh the Depends Aisle of Longs Drugs
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

My pal told me that last night on Bremner, Bird and Fortune (a satirical show on channel 4) they did a version of 'I dont want to go to Chelsea' but changed the words to parody the russian billionaire, Roman Abrohamovich, who has bought Chelsea Football Club, and the furore surrounding his choice of team manager.....

anyone else see it???
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hahaha.

I was at the mall one night with some friends, it was late so it was pretty empty. I was singing along(way too loud) to the random songs they were playing over the PA... when all of a sudden I heard the intro of "Veronica" pop up. Hah, I lost control of myself. Before I knew it I was on top of one of the cushioned chairs in the mall singing into my friend's cell phone at the top of my lungs.

Moments after, a mall security guard (a frightened female) approached me with mace hidden in her left hand. She mistook me for a drunken teen, and told me to quiet down.

I also heard "Man Out Of Time" in a store in Boston. I asked a nearby worker (who had spiked hair, so you'd think she'd know what was going on here) who was responsible so I could meet the messiah. She told me she had no idea... around 20 minutes later "Alison" started... this couldnt be a coincidence, she was hiding something.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Max Weinberg 7 just played "Oliver's Army" as an intro to a 12-year old guest named Oliver.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I saw the Bremner, Brid and Fortune thing purely accidentally. For starters I had no idea who he was impersonating, so thanks for clearing that up. They had changed the words completely but same "IDWTGTC" pay off line. What was even odder was that the sketch parodied the "IDWTGTC" video with Bremner dressed up as that guy doing the spastic knock-kneed stance dance in front of a very white background. I thought it was odd that a topical satirical show was using an obscure 26 year old video for material, but obviously someone on the show was a big EC fan, coz it was quite faithful. And not a bit funny.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I was in the Stand comedy club last night in Glasgow, seeing this comedian called Miles Jupp - a character comedian who plays an upper-class twit in his one-man show 'Gentlemen prefer brogues' (he's also the guy who plays Archie in the kids show Balamory!)..absolutely cracking stuff!

But....halfway through part of his sketch he was joking about how different industries have left Scotland over the years, and he said..

''history repeats the same the old conceits.....Elvis Costello for you there!''

He must have been a big music fan, cos he also made a sly reference to Public Enemy's In Fear of a Black Planet!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/comics/mjupp.html
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

The man of the house told me that he heard '45' playing at our local supermarket, which is just as surprising as the fact that he noticed it.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
bobster

Post by bobster »

So, I'm trying to go to sleep last night and I've noticed over the years that cop/detective shows do the best job of sending me off the dream land as visions of PIs, MEs and APBs dance in my head.

So, I turn on "The Rockford Files", one of my all time favorites, on WGN -- hoping it will be one of the episodes I've seen a few times...maybe one of the Richie Brockelman episodes. Nothing too stimulating.

Instead I get "Love is the Word" (1979), a show realistically depicting the end of Rockford's relationship with a beautiful blind woman (Kathryn Harrold -- who I learned from the IMDB is married to MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell). The show is painfully honest in the way it deal with some pretty complex and upsetting emotions, though there is plenty of humor. Not really a typical episode, but not so surprising since this particular episode is written by Soprano's creator David Chase and directed by John Patterson, who also directs many Sopranos episodes. In fact, it really feels like a Sopranos episode, only Jim Rockford hardly ever kills anyone and gets beat up a lot more than he has other people beat up. (In fact, it would be kind of interesting to have a Rockford like character butt up against Tony Soprano....)

So, I'm wide awake now, and there is reference to a hot-tub magazine called "Squish" which talks about various then-hip things....like Elvis Costello. Not so surprising since we all know what a big EC/good music fan David Chase is. I'd forgotten this episode entirely. And now I'm thinking, "Damn, I have to post this on the 'Elvis when you least expect him' thread. Damn."

It's weird hearing the words "Elvis Costello" coming out of James Garner's mouth. You can almost tell he was sort of tripping over it, too. The words don't want to come out of his mouth. I

The episode also features an appearance by Barbara Mandrell, which is probably the closest to an EC/Barbara Mandrell collaboration we'll ever get -- but then you never know with EC.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bobster wrote: a hot-tub magazine called "Squish"
Now that is something worth noting in and of itself, even if fictional. I love that!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some totally unnecessary info. on this -

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Gu ... epid-18086

The Rockford Files - Love Is the Word

Episode Information

Episode Number 117
First Aired November 9, 1979
Production Code 53815
Writer David Chase

Director John Patterson

Guest Stars:
Kathryn Harrold (as Meghan Dougherty)
David James Carroll (as Randy Smith)
Anthony Herrera (as Jeffrey Smith)
Van Williams (as Lieutenant Duane Kiefer)
Richard Cox (as Kevin Spector)
Rick Goldman (as Lou Metzer)
David Cadiente (as Keith Keoloha)
Lisa Figus (as Mrs. Dougherty)
Betty Kennedy (as Patty Sevarisi)
Eduardo Ricard (as waiter)
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Had to dig this thread up up....I have a really awful tv show (I had to look up what it was called: Happy Family) on in the background and they started playing "Welcome to the Working Week"

Made me smile :)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hah, on an Episode of Degrassi the kids talk about how they just bought Elvis Costello tickets.

"You know how much we love Elvis Costello."
Last edited by wehitandrun on Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

wehitandrun wrote:Hah, on an Episode of Degrassi the kids talk about how they just bought Elvis Costello tickets.

"You know how much we love Elvis Costello."
Degrassi. Wow.
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

I heard that WTTWW!! I was over here typing on this forum about Prince and it came on...I was shocked and got happy!! I didn't know the name of the show off the top of my head (usually watching American Idol so I can yell at the TV a little), but I love Christine Buranski! I won tickets from a radio station to an Elvis Costello concert in 2002 by having to finish the lyric "Now that your picture's in the paper..." how embarrassing. :-) Of course the dj was being clever because the contest was the first of the series of tickets they were giving out and it was on a Monday and it is the first song from the first album and it was the first sentence but the tix were for the fifth row :roll:

Jill
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

We had a family birthday dinner last sunday. Somebody had nascar racing on. I wasn't watching, but while people were opening their presents, I heard ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN playing and they were showing all of these nascar crashes!! I was excited but perplexed! They played at LEAST 30 seconds of the song! It was great to hear....but....stockcar racing and elvis?? I mean, I know it was an OBVIOUS choice for a song....but...stockcar racing and elvis?

Hey, I was delighted when I least expected it....
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

In a Starbucks drinking frappuccinos with a beautiful woman (not pictured) we were startled and delighted to hear the Cruel Smile track 'When I Was Cruel (No. 1).'

'The Only Flame in Town' at a supermarket; 'Everyday I Write the Book' at Marshalls department store; and at a French bistro they played 'My Brave Face' twice!
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

I was walking down the cereal aisle at Wal-Mart the other day and what do I hear playing over the PA system but "Everyday I Write the Book." It made going to Wal-Mart worth it.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

LTZ, personally, i like stock car racing.

got no clue if elvis does though.

i did date a stock car driver once. seems i pick up traits from the people i date - i now like stock car racing. rarely watch, but when i have the time, i enjoy it. and yeah, the crashes are great fun to watch. HELL if you're dating the guy driving one of those cars, but, i don't do that anymore. :)

another moment from the life of poppet.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I dunno if it was mentioned, but "accidents will happen" being sung in E.T. is worth noting.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

"Everyday I Write the Book" was in a flashback episode of <i>Mad About You</i> tonight. I'm becoming so obsessed with this show.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

I was at a deserted bus station in a small town a few months ago. It was like 2AM and I was half asleep when "Red Shoes (The Angles Wanna Wear My)" came on. It definitely perked up the situation better.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I just saw the beginning of an episode of Changing Rooms. They were in Chelsea. Guess what song they started out the show with? :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A record shop owner remarked on my taste today as I bought Joni Mitchel's Hejira and Graham Parker's Squeezing Out Sparks, and asked if I was a fan of EC at all... well, he was a huge fan and we got to talking. Didn't mention the site. He couldn't remove the smile from his face and he gave a discount.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

"Watching The Detectives" was in an episode of Undeclared.