Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Driving home from work one day last week I witnessed an incident of road rage. A Ford Explorer from WVa carrying a heavyset guy with a crewcut and a Ford pickup truck with Hillbilly Woodcarving painted on the side driven by an actual Hillbilly, complete with faded overalls, the Hatfield/McCoy hat, the long scary Deliverance hair and a big wooden stick. These guys stopped in the middle of the road and got out of their vehicles and began to scream and threaten each other, almost but not quite coming to blows. Hillbilly dude is shaking his stick at the fat guy, fat guy's got a fist the size of Kansas. It was this strange fighting dance: words, threatening gestures, back off. One of them mouths off and it starts again. I've got my cell thinking, should I call the police and if I do, what do I tell them? I keep waiting for the director to yell "cut!" Then they do start fighting. Fat guy's going to kill Hillbilly Man, so I call 911. Before I can finish punching the numbers, an off duty cop pulls up between them. Anyway, what's playing on my cd player? This Is Hell.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

That is quite possibly my favorite post since joining.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I walked into a bar in the Lakewood section of Dallas last week just in time to hear Alison starting on the jukebox. Next song was some Waylon Jennings followed by Elvis Presley Suspicious Minds. I was obviously the only one to know the Alison/Suspicious Minds connection. I have been running across alot of EC in jukeboxes around Dallas lately.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I was a bar in Brooklyn last weekend and heard both Pump It Up and Man Out of Time . . .
John

Post by John »

From a hotel poolside stereo system in Mallorca last week I was astonished to hear at quite some volume at ten in the morning....
My Funny Valentine.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My Jessica, 15, came back from a trip to Nashville with a group from school and said they had been to Hard Rock for dinner. She noticed that one of the tv's playing loudly was showing an extremely old video of Elvis singing Radio Radio. She commented further, "It almost didn't look like him - he was so young and skinny." I told her she might well refer to herself that way one day. :)

Still, very proud the kids notice Elvis even when we're not around. :D
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

That makes me sad for some reason.

On an EC news site, they had a bunch of new EC pictures from a recent show... and the title was "PROOF THAT VEGANISM IS NOT A WEIGHTLOSS METHOD".

ARG.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

A couple of years ago I took part in a tv quiz-show „Who Wants To Be A Millionaire”. 8)
A week or two before the taping of the show I got a phone call from a lady, who asked me about my hobbies, interests etc. When inquired about music I duly said I was absolutely nuts about Elvis Costello, expecting nothing but “who-the-hell-is-he?” silence from the woman. My jaw dropped when she told me that not only did she know a couple of Elvis’ songs but that she also had a t-shirt from one of his tours. I am not sure if I sighed heavily at this point but she somehow felt that I would love to have the t-shirt because she said, “ If you really want it, I will give it to you when you arrive in Warsaw for the taping”.
Well, I am wearing it now – a t-shirt from UK May/June 1989 tour with pictures of Elvis and his support – Nick Lowe.
:D :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Spooky has posted some about the car that that ended up on its side on our front lawn. My EC when you least expect him moment came yesterday. I was on hold with their insurance company with the elevator music version of "Everyday I Write the Books".

Is there any meaning to this? How should I interpret it? Is the insurance company trying to say that they write the books and we argue? :)
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

DrSpooky wrote:I was on hold with their insurance company with the elevator music version of "Everyday I Write the Books".
Wasn't that on Punch the Clocks?

While gathering provisions for a possible hurricane weeks ago I heard an instrumental version of 'You Bowed Down' in a supermarket. I was with another EC fan and we were both taken aback--it's not a song of his we would have expected to hear! Dreamlike experience.
Last edited by Mr. Misery on Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

on my way to visit one of my favorite board members, I stopped in the local supermarket to get a six pack of his favorite beer. Everyday I Write the Book was playing in the refrigerated aisle.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Was he singing Sad About Girls?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

This past Friday night, I heard Tokyo Storm Warning on the jukebox in a Manhattan bar. And it wasn't I who put it on.

I became all a-twitter. Then I walked around, staring at people, trying to figure out which of the other patrons had chosen it.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Poor DrS - typing Everyday I Write the Books. I know he didn't mean to do that. This has been such a crap filled couple of weeks. He's the long time Elvis fan - not me! Oh well. I'll forgive him. :wink:

Almost as funny as Jessica coming back from DrS's ex-wife's house saying she had been talking about dates on the calendar for the next few months and joked about Boxing Day. His ex said, "Yeah, you know, Elvis Costello has a song about Boxing Day." She should know. She took all of DrS's cds when she left town a few years ago. But at least she left the kids. The cd's have been replaced. :) And I get two more kids who love Elvis. :D
jojo

Post by jojo »

I just heard "There's A Stranger In The House" on Sirius Outlaw Channel. Happy birthday, Elvis.

A fan for now half your life,

jojo
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Someone probably already posted this (I have been absent for a while) but I noticed that that new Dreamworks film about the sharks (title escapes me) is being advertised on TV over PUMP IT UP. Odd.....
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Man Called Uncle was used to introduce a John Kerry segment on David Letterman tonight. Congrats to Brilliant Mistake who managed to start a thread on it in the minutes it took me to confirm the short piece was Man Called Uncle.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The Frasier episode with 'cockney Elvis' was on Channel 4 at lunchtime today, and then I went to Tesco's in the afternoon...saw a kid buying the reissued 2cd best of....there is hope for humanity after all.
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

They just played Pump It Up over the PA at the Little League World Series.

Is it safe to say that this is the most played Elvis song ever?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I thought Steve Nieve sung it?

Eh, fuck if I know who sung what.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Sad About Girls was on the Attractions album "Mad About The Wrong Boy" - probably Steve singing. EC did the vocals on the Trust re-issue version of the track.
A rope leash

Who knows dreaming?

Post by A rope leash »

It's a Brain/Hart composition, which somehow makes it attributable to Steve Nieve. What do I know?

I knew it was something The Attractions did without Elvis, so that's why I asked if that was the song. I kind of don't like the song, myself.

What song was he singing?
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

DrSpooky wrote:Man Called Uncle was used to introduce a John Kerry segment on David Letterman tonight. Congrats to Brilliant Mistake who managed to start a thread on it in the minutes it took me to confirm the short piece was Man Called Uncle.
Thanks for the props DrSpooky. I got so excited I ran to my PC and made the thread seconds after I heard it.

As for hearing EC theres a radio station where I live that plays him every once in a while. I heard Shipbuilding in a pool hall the other night.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
bobster

Post by bobster »

I can't think of a more unexpectated place to find EC than from the lips of Pat Buchanan....

So I've got MSNBC on...trying to monitor the reactoin to the big celebrity night at the Republican National Convention (or whatever it is "RNC" stands for).

The show is "After Hours with Joe Scarborough and Ron Reagan." Ron at one point introduces a film of Scarborough in rocker mode performing before the RNC in 2000. He's rocking out, after a fashion, wearing squarish horn rim glasses. Scarborough feigns embarrassment as much kidding from the rest of the panel ensues. Then someone said something like, "You look like Elvis Costello" -- and, while I wasn't watching too closely, I could swear it was in that familair genial rasp of Patty-Patty-Buke-Buke. Surprising that he would even be aware of EC's existence...maybe he saw in "De-Lovely" or something. No, that would involve gay people, can't be that....

My love/hate relationship with the crypto-anti-semite-would-be-American Silvio Berlusconi with a heart of gold continues.....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

On BBC tonight there was a programme called Every Home Should Have One...basically about the changing face of domestic appliance.
Welcome to the Working Week was played over video footage of a washer woman using a scrub board.