Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just saw an episode of "Veronica Mars" from awhile back, "Wallace and Rashad Go to White Castle". (It's recorded on my DVR...on literally months/years behind on all the dramatic shows I watch)

Anyhow, someone karoekes to, you guessed it, "Veronica."

Unfortunately, not the best episode of this usually excellent show.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

EC just keeps getting referenced on the tube....

From Monday's "The Colbert Report" -- In reference to scientists putting glasses on flies, Stephen says that he'll never look at Elvis C. the same way again. It definitely works better with the visuals.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

While on hold with the bank... a muzak version of "Everyday I Write The Book" :shock:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I don't know if this counts, but I noticed "Miracle Man" playing during a scene in Godfather III.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Pump It Up played during a break in the action at the Dallas Stars vs. Colorado hockey game at American Airlines Center. I wasn't at the game, but heard it on the telly.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
bobster

Post by bobster »

wardo68 wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I noticed "Miracle Man" playing during a scene in Godfather III.
It definitely counted when I first saw the movie in 199_? (or was it 198_??) Of course, turns out Sofia Coppola is an EC fan, so that explains that.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Tears Tears and More Tears

ON THE RADIO!

OK, I'm cheating...it was satellite radio, so I should've expected it a little...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

wardo68 wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I noticed "Miracle Man" playing during a scene in Godfather III.
Sounds like I wasn't the only one caught up in that weekend-long Godfather marathon! 8)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So I'm sitting in a meeting room at the publishing house where I work, and there's a journal been there for a few weeks on the display shelf called 'Popular Music'. today was the first time I've looked inside and bugger me if the subtitle on the cover of the edition in question wasn't 'These magic moments' and that, yes, the immediate 'It's Time' association was no coincidence. It is a typical collection of 6 or so academic papers, one of which had some bizarre title to do with an E-chord, and it involved detailed discussion of the chord played at that point in 'It's Time', no doubt exploring it as a metaphor for Elv's career. You can subscribe to the journal, but I know no other way of linking to it. I guess I could scan it, it looks a laugh.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

45 playing on the p.a. system at Winners.
Followed immediately by J. Lo.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

On his Saturday morning show on BBC Radio 2, Jonathan Ross is chatting to The Beautiful South, and asks who are their favourite songwriters. Paul Harton immediately says 'Elvis Costello'.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
John

Post by John »

Not quite Elvis but a bit freaky nevertheless. Just watched the Shipbuilding video on YouTube (somebody seems to have copied all the DVD's bonus tracks on to there) and had to ring AOL to sort out an internet problem. What were they playing as hold music - Robert Wyatt's version - amazing!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Question on an episode of the early '80s game show "Blockbusters":

"What 'C' is singer Elvis or comedian Lou?"
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Not sure if this really fits the thread, but...I found a version of "PLU" on YouTube performed by Chris Cornell, formerly and most notably of Soundgarden. I have a special fondness for Soundgarden as they peaked during my high school years. I found them to be the best of the "grunge" bands by far - and Cornell to be an exceptional singer. Anyway, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff0-t4FchM8
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Nice link to Cornell TP. But you could almost see the question marks forming over everyones head. Like "WTF is he singing?"
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Couldn't call it unexpected, cos it links back to an earlier ref on this thread, but there was a nice revisiting of the EC theme in the final episode of series 2 of Desperate Housewives tonight. An early episode featured Mike Delfino telling Susan that EC was his favourite singer. This was to signify 'Mike is a deep, reflective guy'. Tonight Susan was inviting him for a romantic dinner and planning to propose to him, and she told her friends 'the Elvis Costello CD's ready'. I was dying for the scene and guessing it would be She or similar, but sadly we never got that far cos sinister creep Kyle Maclachlan cam and sorted him out in a hit and run when he was en route to dinner.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

When browsing the various TV and Radio stations about 1am Saturday night, "Pump It Up" was playing on Virgin radio (by Suggs, as part of its party classics tunes). That was surprising, especially as it's the first Elvis i've heard for a week. Too busy listening to Nick Lowe...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
scielle

Post by scielle »

http://www.earshot-online.com/features/ ... grid_2.cfm
Page 2 of the above interview with Ingrid Jensen.
Ingrid is a New York-based trumpet and flugelhorn player, probably best known for her work with the Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra and ppl like Geoff Keezer, Clark Terry, Tain Watts. Her sis Christine is a jazz prof at my uni. Incidentally, the Jensen sisters are also from Nanaimo and went to high school with DK.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.charliegillett.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=2771

BBC London - Another Saturday Night

2006 - 15 July - Joe Boyd presents.....

(extract)

20. Norman Waterson - The Birds Will Still Be Singing (Hannibal HNCD)

21. Elvis Costello & The Brodsky Quartet - God Only Knows (Warner Bros)

Listen again via this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/art ... file.shtml

( the forward function is not working for me so maybe someone can check and see what Joe had to say about Elvis)
scielle

Post by scielle »

Not exactly unexpected given the location - but still pretty cool. Monkey To Man was blasting over the loudspeakers as I walked through Nanaimo harbour yesterday morning. Then they returned to regular top-40 fodder - Nelly Furtado, I think. Another Van Island girl. I don't think they'd be playing EC if he weren't a 'local'.
It was Bathtub Weekendin Nanaimo :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/

On this evening's Just A Minute quiz (' contenders attempting to talk on a subject for sixty seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation') one of the subjects was' Shipbuilding'. Paul Merton managed to work in a mention of Elvis' song, with a further reference to Robert Wyatt. . It's about ten minutes from the end of the show.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Don't know who it's by, or if it's been mentioned here before, but today I heard a 'remixed' Video Killed the Radio Star which had a snippet from (or at least a sound-a-like) Radio Radio featured quite prominently throughout.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I was watching "Bob the Builder" with my boy tonight, and Mr. Costello the drive-in movie theater manager is a dead ringer for our man, right down to the orange shades and all-black clothing.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Someone mentioned that on the old listserv a while back and they were convinced it was a direct connect to Elvis. I can't see how it wouldn't be. :)