Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Re: Elvis when you least expect it

Post by Neil. »

Mr. Getgood wrote:Mrs. Getgood and I were playing Battleships on a quiz machine in the boozer the other night when the following multiple choice question popped up:

WHICH MUSICIAN WROTE THE MUSICAL SCORE IL SOGNO?

A - ELVIS COSTELLO
B - PAUL McCARTNEY
C - ELVIS PRESLEY

We went on to win a quid as well!
Hilarious to think that most people would be shaking their fists at that, cursing it as too obscure. Though I guess Elvoid McPresley wasn't known for his composing, so that would knock it down to 50/50.

Hope all's well in your new(ish) neck o' the woods, Mr GG!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

While viewing the previews for upcoming movies in the theater this past weekend, waiting for the feature to start, my wife and I were treated to the sight of an extended video of EC performing the song he provided for the new movie "Movie Stars Don't Die in Liverpool". In essence the video of his piano playing, singing and dancing on the theater stage was the preview interspersed with a few cuts from the movie. Most unusual. I enjoyed the notion that they were using the entirety of the song to promote the movie with minimal shots from the film itself. I hope that isn't an ironic visual comment about the film, itself, as I rather enjoy Ms. Benning's work.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Neil. wrote:
Mr. Getgood wrote:Mrs. Getgood and I were playing Battleships on a quiz machine in the boozer the other night when the following multiple choice question popped up:

WHICH MUSICIAN WROTE THE MUSICAL SCORE IL SOGNO?

A - ELVIS COSTELLO
B - PAUL McCARTNEY
C - ELVIS PRESLEY

We went on to win a quid as well!
Hilarious to think that most people would be shaking their fists at that, cursing it as too obscure. Though I guess Elvoid McPresley wasn't known for his composing, so that would knock it down to 50/50.

Hope all's well in your new(ish) neck o' the woods, Mr GG!
Cheers Neil. All fine and dandy down here thanks. Hope all's well your end. Hopefully catch up with you at the next meet up.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Watching Jeopardy last evening and one of the catagories was titled "I will back you up". The clue was "the Attractions". The answer was obvious and fortunately all the contestants seemed to know the correct response.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Sitting in a pub garden in Northampton last Saturday night and Watching The Detectives came on the pub music system
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Was having another little flutter on the above mentioned quiz machine at the weekend when I was asked "Which act had a hit with Oliver's Army?".

Went on to win three quid this time!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Mr. Getgood wrote:Was having another little flutter on the above mentioned quiz machine at the weekend when I was asked "Which act had a hit with Oliver's Army?".

Went on to win three quid this time!
But Mr GG, what was the answer?!!
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

:D :D :D

So, pleased as punch at being quids in again due to an EC question, I made my way back to my barstool to share my good news with my drinking cohorts, only to be met with a barrage of derogatory comments about the tonal quality of Elvis' voice. What on earth is wrong with people?!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I trust you bought them all a pint with your winnings - then decanted them over the heads of the aforementioned Elvis avoiders!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I popped to the gym at lunchtime today and they played I Wanna Be Loved whilst I was having a run.

It was the normal radio edit on the playlist but it was still a (nice) shock!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Watching the detectives turned up in the background of the Torvill and Deane drama on UK tv on Boxing night
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Christmas “Would I Lie To You?”, and Noddy Holder was telling a story from the late 70s when he was on the way back from a rock stars nativity themed fancy dress party dressed as Joseph, when he had to get out of his car to push a donkey out of the way on a country lane.
James Acaster then asked......” How did you know it wasn’t Elvis Costello dressed as a donkey on the way to the party?”

:shock: How bizarre ! :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

I saw that Goon Squad, probably James has been hanging out with VG too much
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sheeptotheslaughter wrote
I saw that Goon Squad, probably James has been hanging out with VG too much
:D :D :D
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I saw that Goon Squad, probably James has been hanging out with VG too much
:lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

:lol: Taking the step from Donkey to Man!

Brilliant - for those of you not in on the joke, I’ve met James Acaster three times this year.

At least I hope that’s why you referenced me :? :?: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'd also point out that VG and Frankie Boyle have never been seen in the same room at the same time :wink:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Page 55 in AJ Hartley's excellent novel " Cold Bath Street", it's 1978 and two teenage ghosts, Roarer and Preston, are discussing the relative merits of Elvis' Presley and Costello:
" Only one Elvis" he concluded, happily. "Elvis 'The Pelvis' Presley. Who's this Costello character?"
" " I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea?" " Preston tried." "Watching the Detectives?' 'Pump it up?" "
Roarer just shrugged.
"He's the best," said Preston, thinking back to an episode of Top of the Pops only weeks before he had died when he had gotten his mother to confess that there was something compelling about the singer in his odd, too small trousers and oversized glasses. Preston loved the whole thing: the look, the clever words, the edge to the music. It was like the songs were written for him. If he had the nerve that was who he wanted to be. But he could no more pull off an outfit like that than go to the moon. That was why he had fastened onto the black leather jacket worn by JJ Burnel, bassist for the Stranglers, who he had seen on the telly snarling out '5 Minutes', his bass slung low around his hips.....
I loved this book and would recommend to all, especially anyone who has any roots in Preston, the urban settlement in Lancashire, England, which is the setting for the tale.

Colin Top Balcony
sheeptotheslaughter

I don't want to go to Chelsea was played on Through The Keyhole on Saturday night. the guest was from Made in Chelsea.
buzz

Post by buzz »

I can't find mention of it here but I've just watched The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, series 3 (in Spain) episode 2. Brydon sings 'Toldeo" in a Costello-like way and Coogan gives 'Oliver's Army' a blast - neither very good but great fun.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

buzz wrote:I can't find mention of it here but I've just watched The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, series 3 (in Spain) episode 2. Brydon sings 'Toldeo" in a Costello-like way and Coogan gives 'Oliver's Army' a blast - neither very good but great fun.
Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvNmN_BTs0A
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Came back from the undertaker's yesterday into a little cafe with my brother for a full English, both feeling a bit down by the turn of events and Oliver's Army was on the cafe playlist. Seemed like someone wanted to cheer me up by using heavenly influence :wink:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sorry life's taken a sad turn of events, Sulky. Hope Elvis perked you up a bit.
GCM

Post by GCM »

There must be an Elvis fan working in the BBC Sport department. After the World Snooker Championships finished on Monday evening, they ran a montage of tournament highlights. I was stunned to hear that the backing music they used was Elvis's fine version of "Getting Mighty Crowded".
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

There was an instrumental during that snooker montage that has been driving me mad. Was it a Clash b side???