Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
blureu

Re: Elvis when you least expect it

Post by blureu »

Listen to the interview outtake "The Secret History of Huey Lewis and the News". :lol:

Beastie Boys: Rap's Elder Statesmen Go Back In Time

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/09/136061894 ... ck-in-time
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

For several reasons, this article from the online Jewish Chronicle definitely belongs in this thread:

http://www.thejc.com/arts/arts-intervie ... m-goldberg

It is an interview with Adam Goldberg, a Los Angeles based actor who is most famous for a part in "Saving Private Ryan". In the interview he says:
I was a huge Elvis Costello fan and still am.
He now writes and tours his own music as "The Goldberg Sisters" and (according to the interview):
The spirit and sound of Bacharach echo through Goldberg's music, layer upon layer of audio tracks producing sonically lush results.
Perhaps he'll cover a song from PFM one day?

MOOT
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Browsing through the fine AV Club site I found this:

The hits keep coming: 30 songs inspired by domestic violence

29. Elvis Costello, “Boy With A Problem”
In the early ’80s, Elvis Costello alluded to domestic abuse several times—most obviously on “Beaten To The Punch,” from 1980’s Get Happy!!, and “White Knuckles,” from 1981’s Trust. But lyrically, those songs are slippery, in the vein of much of Costello’s writing from the period. Not so “Boy With A Problem,” from 1982’s Imperial Bedroom: “I even slapped your face and made you cry,” he sings remorsefully over Steve Nieve’s stately piano. It’s the same sort of endlessly circular bad relationship Costello sang so much about during that period, including on “Beaten” and “Knuckles.” Here, though, his depiction of a relationship’s dregs (“Nights spent drinking to remember… Came home drunk / Talking in circles / The spirit is willing, but I don’t believe in miracles”) is sorrowful as well as judgmental.

It also features this weird video of the song as the soundtrack to clips from some Asian film. Weird but funny.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
migdd

Post by migdd »

Interesting, considering the lyrics were actually written by Chris Difford.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

They also missed 'Wave A White Flag'.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Apologies if this has already been posted, but new to me - here's what just popped up on Twitter:

Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Surely they missed the opportunity to do some kind of ham dish called 'WHEN I WAS CURED'.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

scielle wrote:Apologies if this has already been posted, but new to me - here's what just popped up on Twitter:

Lose the mango and its sounds pretty good.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'll take TWO GET HAPPY!!'s please!!!!!!!
krm

Post by krm »

I am curious about the sizes. Is it 12" ?
Man out of Time

Do they serve dough balls listed on the menu as Bread Chews?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Tim de Lisle's review of U2 at Glastonbury in the Mail on Sunday on 3rd July says that

"U2" Edge pointed out beforehand "has never been cool". Bono proved this with his leather trousers, a little too filled by rock standards. He has begun to look like Elvis Costello..."
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As I've no doubt whined several times before here and to anyone who'll listen, I've been volunteered by my wife to record onto CD a whole load of cassettes from our ex-next-door neighbour which has included a dozen James Last tapes and other pretty awful stuff -- however today I transcribed a tape of Shirley Bassey called "Let me Sing And I'm Happy" and apart from the murder of a couple of Beatle songs, there is a track called Spinning Wheel which is the music Steve and The Imposters often play whilst Elvis is introducing the spinners as a prelude to the spin of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook and, much to my amusement, the track is composed by "Thomas" -I hope Bruce is still getting his royalties ! :lol:
Man out of Time

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/LawArticleFr ... 0005487776

"In a recent hearing about whether a plaintiffs lawyer could have access to a company's books and records for his shareholder client, Delaware Court of Chancery Vice Chancellor Leo E. Strine Jr. used song lyrics by Elvis Costello to explain Delaware corporate case law.

The defendant company had formed a special litigation committee to explore another shareholder's demand for litigation in light of the company's accounting problems. Strine referred to the state law standard (Zapata Corp. v. Maldonado, 430 A.2d 779 (Del. 1981)) when he stayed the plaintiffs' document request until the committee issued its report.

"There's that Elvis Costello song [lyric], 'Yesterday's news is [tomorrow's] fish and chip paper.'" Strine said. "There's a question under Zapata whether special committee recommendations are due deference." "

I am not sure the lyric helps my understanding of the point being argued any, but that may be just me.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Maybe the lawyer was a fan.

I must admit that I've slipped the odd EC lyric into discussion whilst I've been in a meeting just for something to do.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I went out for my 50th birthday a few weeks back and my local pub played 'Watching The Detectives' , was a nice birthday suprise. Not normally on it's music roster.
verbal gymnastics

I took mini VG out for lunch for her 4th(!) birthday today to a cafe and Pump it up came on.

Nice surprise.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

At a Clerkenwell gig last night (with Verbal), the band Larkin Poe played a storming 'Blame It On Cain'.

(That said, they supported Elvis recently, so I shouldn't call it unexpected, really)
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

At a pub quiz, and already well served when the quiz started, I earned early respect when the question 'What song features the refrain "sending out an SOS to the world"?' was asked, to which I immediately responded 'Massage in a brothel, by Los Polizei'.

I was heralded as the exact pop genious the team needed, and 2 rounds (of both questions and ale) later another lyric was proferred. It was familiar, but wouldn't come to the front of my addled brain - I blame the background noise, team mates shouting increasingly unlikely suggestions, and my own inebriation.

Imagine my shame when it transpired that 'and I would rather be anywhere else than here today' turned out not to be from Space Oddity after all.

:oops:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
John

Post by John »

Sounds like a good night out RTHTW?
verbal gymnastics

:lol: Nice one Ready!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Excerpt from the Guardian's online football preview (if it was in the paper then I missed it) this Saturday :
Afternoon all: Seven 3pm kick-offs in the Premier League brings a retro feel to the day. "History repeats the old conceits/ The glib replies the same defeats/ Keep your finger on important issues/ With crocodile tears and a pocketful of tissues," wrote Elvis Costello which came to mind when I had a peek at the history of some of today's fixtures.

The full top-flight programme is:
Arsenal v Everton
Bolton v Aston Villa
Liverpool v QPR
Man Utd v Wolverhampton
Norwich v Newcastle
Swansea v Fulham
West Brom v Wigan.

I've been looking at three of them and the fortunes of the away sides. Wolves's last victory at Old Trafford came in a 1-0 win in February 1980 when Mel Eves scored the only goal. A fair few of the previews have suggested Wanderers will feel the backlash of Manchester United's Champions League exit this afternoon. Everything today and for the rest of the season depends on United getting their central midfield to dominate again.

Arsène Wenger has never lost a home game against Everton and the visitors last victory at Highbury came in January 1996 when Bruce Rioch managed the Gunners. I've found the line-ups for that game and Arsenal's, in particular, has reminded me of a player I haven't thought about for 15 years, Adrian Clarke.

Here they are: Arsenal: Seaman; Dixon, Marshall, Linighan, Winterburn; Clarke, Merson, Jensen, Helder; Bergkamp, Wright.
Everton: Southall; Ebbrell, Watson, Short, Ablett; Kanchelskis, Parkinson, Horne, Stuart; Amokachi, Ferguson.

Ian Wright opened the scoring before Graham Stuart and Andrei Kanchelskis scored the second-half goals that won the game
I've cut and pasted well beyond the Elvis bit to cover the earlier Everton victory, sadly on Saturday history most definitely did not repeat :( :( :( :(

Colin Top Balcony
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

here's the Guardian's online mention ( 16/11/11) of EC in the context of a horrible cruel woman and a fantastic song as Suzanne Moore interviews Meryl Streep :
After a few drinks, I think I tried to tell Meryl that I was of the Tramp the Dirt Down persuasion, but I wasn't, at that stage, sure if she knew the Elvis Costello song.
Colin Top Balcony
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Top balcony wrote:Excerpt from the Guardian's online football preview (if it was in the paper then I missed it) this Saturday :
Afternoon all: Seven 3pm kick-offs in the Premier League brings a retro feel to the day. "History repeats the old conceits/ The glib replies the same defeats/ Keep your finger on important issues/ With crocodile tears and a pocketful of tissues," wrote Elvis Costello which came to mind when I had a peek at the history of some of today's fixtures.
I've cut and pasted well beyond the Elvis bit to cover the earlier Everton victory, sadly on Saturday history most definitely did not repeat :( :( :( :(

Colin Top Balcony
I know absolutely nothing about soccer, but that is an awesome use of a lyric there.
Man out of Time

Neil. wrote:At a Clerkenwell gig last night (with Verbal), the band Larkin Poe played a storming 'Blame It On Cain'.

This seems to be part of their regular set. Here they are playing the same song in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections festival in January 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CRybfYjaU

MOOT