A Face In The Crowd: new musical for 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: A Face In The Crowd: new musical

Postby sweetest punch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm

You know more, Colin?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

Top balcony

Postby Top balcony » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 am

Jodie Comer(Evertonian btw) aka Killing Eve's Villanelle: Betty Lou Fleckum :wink:

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:56 pm

As an Evertonian, she doesn’t need acting lessons to show disappointment and emotional let downs :cry:

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 am

I think it’s official now!!!
From another thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11338#p7740354

Re: Elvis & Imposters/Blondie Forest Hills July 24, 2019
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm

EC: "I'm gonna play you a new song now. This comes from a show called Face in the Crowd. It's gonna be on the stage in New York next year. Y'all gonna come see it?"

Is this an official announcement?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

Neil.

Postby Neil. » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:13 am

sweetest punch wrote:I think it’s official now!!!
From another thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11338#p7740354

Re: Elvis & Imposters/Blondie Forest Hills July 24, 2019
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm

EC: "I'm gonna play you a new song now. This comes from a show called Face in the Crowd. It's gonna be on the stage in New York next year. Y'all gonna come see it?"

Is this an official announcement?

I sincerely hope this is true, but until we see a theatre with a poster on it, I'm going to keep a very tight rein on my hopes. I know he wanted Jackman, but Jackman's doing The Music Man on Broadway next year. https://www.musicmanonbroadway.com/ So it's unlikely to be him.

sweetest punch

Re: A Face In The Crowd: new musical for 2020

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:01 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/thea ... emoir.html

Sarah Ruhl, the Celebrated Playwright, Will Publish a Memoir

In 2010, the playwright Sarah Ruhl had just given birth to twins and was still in the maternity ward when she learned she had Bell’s palsy, a condition that caused paralysis on the left side of her face. Even as she learned to blink again or stop drooling, she still was not able to smile.

Ms. Ruhl will explore her nearly decade-long struggle with Bell’s palsy, her search for a way to speed up her recovery and how she reckoned with the inability to fully express her inner self in a forthcoming memoir, “Smile,” according to a statement from Simon & Schuster, which acquired the title.

The book, Ms. Ruhl said in a phone call, “is a confluence of, in my own life, wanting to move past a difficult nine years of navigating the health system, navigating the kind of limits of my own body, and then also thinking about women smiling culturally in general.” She referred, for instance, to Christine Blasey Ford “smiling her way through” her testimony in Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearings.

But the book isn’t meant to be “a complete downer,” she said. The condition is “a disappointment but it’s not a tragedy,” she explained, and she hopes it will illuminate “an outlier experience of motherhood, but hopefully a path forward that has some sense of humor and hope about healing.” “Smile” also touches on postpartum depression and her life in the theater, as well as topics like faith, beauty, art and family.

“I knew from the very first page that this was something absolutely transcendent,” Marysue Rucci, the editor in chief of Simon & Schuster, said. “It’s a memoir that’s about so much more than an ailment. Things that are mundane and things that are sublime,” she added.

Ms. Ruhl is best known for her plays, which have a poetic sensibility and often cross over into the surreal. She won a MacArthur Fellowship in 2006 and was twice a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize in Drama, for “The Clean House” in 2005 and “In the Next Room, or the vibrator play” in 2010. Ms. Ruhl also wrote a book of essays “100 Essays I Don’t Have Time to Write: On Umbrellas and Sword Fights, Parades and Dogs, Fire Alarms, Children and Theater,” which was published in 2014.

Aside from “Smile,” Ms. Ruhl is also working on a musical version of the 1957 film “A Face in the Crowd,” with music by Elvis Costello, though she declined to say when it would run. She will also release her first book of poetry next year.

sweetest punch

Re: A Face In The Crowd: new musical for 2020

Postby sweetest punch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:16 am

https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ent ... -pop-rock/

Music: Elvis Costello ‘I’ve always thought of myself as more pop than rock’

(...)

Among the songs that make the set-lists in Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland’s Costello aficionados will also be listening out for the possible inclusion of ones from another current project, a musical based on the 1957 film A Face in the Crowd that is set to open in the coming year. Costello’s interest in musical theatre can be traced back to a commission from Nottingham Playhouse in the early 1990s and some of his 21st-century albums have included songs derived from stage projects that have not made it to full productions.

A Face in the Crowd, which boasted a sharp script by Budd Schulberg and was director Elia Kazan at his political best in the original film incarnation, looks to be just as pertinent a comment on American politics in our time and, although it has been gestating for the best part of five years, its time could well have come.

Its composer is both confident and pragmatic, pointing out that these things take the time they take.

“Hamilton was over ten years in development,” he points out, adding that his own way with the songs is no longer the important issue. “We are now at the time when we have to hear them in the voices of the theatre artists.”
(...)

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”