http://www.ssearenabelfast.com/elvis-co ... -imposters

Tue 19 Jul 2016 at 8.00pm
Seated: £33.00 & £39.50
Standing: £37.50
Tickets On Sale From Fri 08 Apr 2016 at 10.00am
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Belfast , July 19th 2016

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Let's hope the Bristol show was the start of further dates and not just this one.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I will miss this one as I'll be in the US on that date. I've been at every Costello gig in Belfast since 1978, so not happy!

SSE Arena is a strange choice, it's a cavernous ice hockey arena, 6,000+ capacity, really only suitable for big arena shows.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Curious choice indeed. Can Elvis really sell three big shows in a set of relatively adjacent geographic locations?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis will on the radio in Northern Ireland tonight -

https://twitter.com/U105radio/status/727890457187987457

Ivan Martin will be chatting to @ElvisCostello tonight at 7:40pm ahead of his gig at @SSEBelfastArena on July 19th!

http://www.u105.com/Home
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Promo-interview: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/what-s-on/m ... -1-7380210

Costello remains at his impish and most playful best for Belfast date

Six decades in, his shows are still a sell-out success, and Elvis Costello says even now, they feel like a ‘playground’. He tells ANDY WELCH why keeping a loose framework and not forcing new material does the trick every time

It’s been “an absolute age” since Elvis Costello played at the London Palladium. “I don’t keep track of these things really,” the London-born singer-songwriter adds. “I suppose the last time I was there was when I was in showbiz college, and Brucie and I were presenting Beat The Clock.”

He is, of course, joking, and showing his age (Bruce Forsyth presented a game segment called Beat The Clock on Sunday Night At The London Palladium back in the late Fifties and early Sixties, in case the reference was lost on you).

By the time this interview’s published, Costello - who is 61 - will have started his stint at the world-famous venue. When we meet, however, he wonders whether they’ve got some “ghastly” performance on before his one-man show (of sorts), Detour, kicks off.

That wasn’t the case though - it was Bryan Ferry.

“Oh well, I take it all back,” Costello says when he discovers this. “I’ll certainly be lowering the tone after Bryan, Lord Ferry of Tyne and Wear.”

The ‘of sorts’ in his one-man show is on account of the fact Costello’s joined at various points by guests, whether on the giant TV screen behind him or in person. To say any more would be to ruin some of the surprises in store, but it’s safe to say Megan and Rebecca Lovell of US roots and country band Larkin Poe make an appearance.

“It’s really great to have their support,” he says. “It’s great to sing three-part harmonies with them, and have their musical backing. It comes as a jolt to the audience. The other great thing about Rebecca and Megan is they’re completely unsentimental about my repertoire, because of their youth.

“They have no hankering to hear Oliver’s Army, because it was in the charts 35 years ago, or any of those old songs.

“They like things because they think they’re good, and they make some left field suggestions because of that. As a result, we’ve got a really decent repertoire to play with.”

The rest of the evening is taken up by Costello introducing the songs and telling stories linking the whole show together.

“It’s anecdotal, it’s not ‘An Evening With’ or anything like that, but there are some slides,” he says. “It’s not rambling, but it doesn’t take a direct route either.”

He says no one coming to the show to hear his greatest hits - and there are many: Alison, Watching The Detectives, I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea, Pump It Up, Every Day I Write The Book and the aforementioned Oliver’s Army among his biggest - is going to leave disappointed. The key is not so much the well-known songs he’s playing, but how he gets there.

“I don’t feel I have to play those old songs, because I’ve been indulging myself with a load of obscurities,” he says. “And I might find that people don’t want to hear those hits anyway, they might surprise me.

“The main thing is that the shows come alive, which is something I always try to achieve. The show is essentially a big playground for me to play around in.”

Detour is now on its fifth lap, having been hugely successful in the US.

It follows on from Costello’s wildly successful Spectacular Spinning Songbook show, which toured the world several times, and was a hit in the US, Australia and Japan, as well as selling out five nights at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

“I have a framework that allows me to do new things, brand new songs or 40-year-old music.

“If I went out without the framework, just to play, I think it would be harder to justify,” he muses of his tour success.

There have been a couple of new songs performed on Detour, belonging to a yet-to-be announced theatre show.

He says it’s not the done thing to premiere a song from a musical before opening night, but his co-conspirators, as he calls them, told them he should.

“The reaction was astonishing,” he says. “That was in the States. If there’s a stony silence on these new shows, we’ll just say it’s a cultural divide, but you have no real way of knowing how something is going to be received beforehand.

“It’s good to play them, even if it’s just to get a sense of how they’re going to go down in the future. But there is that fear that if you play new songs, everyone is going to be looking for the exit sign or the bar, so you don’t want to create that effect.”

Costello says he keeps finding new things in his songs to revisit, or issues to tackle from a different angle. There are also things that seem to always remain current (perhaps the marker of classic songs, or a brilliant songwriter?).

Shipbuilding, he says, is one that never seems to date. Originally written during the Falklands War, it examined the horrible irony of the conflict bringing prosperity back to an area that had declined due to the erosion of its main industry - building warships.

At the same time, the workers in the yards were sending off their sons to potentially die in the ships they were making.

It’s a hugely powerful song, and it’s main sentiment - essentially asking what price we have to pay for prosperity - is as relevant now, in the wake of Tata Steel’s closure, as it was it when it was written.

“When I sing that song, it feels like it’s still happening, the dilemmas confronting the person in the song are still there,” says Costello. “It stops it all feeling like you’re reading old newspapers.”

As for new material, he’s not sure when that might arrive. His last release was Wise Up Ghost, his 2013 collaboration with hip-hop eclectics The Roots, while his most recent solo album was 2010’s National Ransom.

“The Roots record came out of coincidence and friendship and no one saw it coming; exactly the way these records should happen. That was an outward-looking record, not in the slightest about ways of the heart.

“New music is not something I can plan for, but I wouldn’t count anything out,” Costello adds.

“Isn’t that better though - to catch yourself singing, rather than worrying about what you’re going to sing?”

Elvis Costello will perform at the SSE Arena, Belfast on July 19, 2016, See Ticketmaster to book tickets.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://culturehubmagazine.co.uk/6273-2/

Elvis Costello & The Imposters | Preview

The SSE Arena, Belfast • Tuesday 19 July 2016

By Cara Gibney

Elvis Costello brought us geek chic way back in the 1970s. The term was more commonly phrased as ‘the skinny fella with the glasses’, but it meant the same thing.

He was a very specific mongrel; part poindexter, part back-to-basics pub rock angry boy. Despite the cross-breed though, his pedigree was indisputable. His 1977 debut, My Aim Is True, was produced by Nick Lowe, released on Stiff Records, and launched amidst a bevy of that year’s punk/new wave releases including the Sex Pistols and the Damned.

However, My Aim Is True was different. While his peers were kicking the tables over (and we of a certain age know too well how much we loved and needed the kicking over of said tables), Costello’s ire involved a different song craft, a different level of being tuned into his very particular sound. It gave us a second or third layer to the message.

Fast forward nearly 40 years over which Costello has shape shifted from new wave to country to R&B, amongst various manifestations. He has collaborated with Johnny Cash, Dusty Springfield, Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach, and in 2002 he started touring with The Imposters, with whom he will be performing in Belfast.

It’s Elvis Costello & The Imposters’ first time playing in a theatre format at the SSE Arena. Playing both older and newer songs from their catalogue, the show will be a much more intimate affair for a crew who have been enjoying huge success around the world with their live performances.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishnews.com/arts/2016/07/0 ... s441rif44T

No substitute: Elvis Costello & The Imposters head for Belfast

Elvis Costello will soon return to Belfast with his faithful sidemen The Imposters. David Roy spoke to the London-born, Vancouver-based musician about finding new ways to enjoy 'the hits', penning his recent autobiography and why he's done with making albums

01 July, 2016

BESPECTACLED, genre-hopping and collaboration-loving songsmith Elvis Costello was, until fairly recently, one of the most prolific major recording artists around.

The London-born muso released a new album (sometimes even two) pretty much every 12 months for over three decades, from 1977's auspicious new wave debut My Aim Is True right up until 2010's countrified National Ransom.

However, all of a sudden he seems to have slowed down.

Just two new Elvis Costello-related releases have appeared in the past six years: 2013's Wise Up Ghost, a gritty and groovesome team-up LP with progressive hip-hopsters The Roots, and 2014's Lost on The River, an album of songs featuring 'lost' Bob Dylan lyrics recorded by T-Bone Burnett co-ordinated musical ensemble The New Basement Tapes, featuring Costello, Marcus Mumford, Jim Jones and others.

Having finally hit the big 6-0 in 2014 and with a new young family at home (he has nine-year-old twins with his jazz musician wife, Diana Krall, whom he married in 2003), it's understandable that Costello might be wanting to cool his jets.

Also: it's the economy, stupid.

"I still write new songs, I just haven't recorded any of them – because what's the point?," reveals the man born Declan Patrick MacManus.

"The business has changed in that now we're being pretty much asked to give away our recordings for free."

Thus, 'the road' is where it's at for Costello right now, specifically his fast approaching date at Belfast's SSE Arena with long-time sidemen The Imposters.

"I kind of decided to just concentrate on live performance," explains Costello of his recent lack of recorded output.

"That's why the recent live show has been much more of a 'show' – there's been a definite style of presentation to The Spectacular Spinning Songbook and Detour, both of which have become very successful tours.

"These stage shows have taken the place of the release of a record in order to generate the reason for playing live.

Thus, over the past couple of years, Elvis Costello fans have been enjoying high energy concerts by The Imposters and their aformentioned 'Spectacular Spinning Songbook' – literally a big wheel pasted with titles spanning the entirety of the Costello catalogue, spun by lucky audience members at regular intervals during the gig to dictate where the set goes next.

With Detour, Costello has also crafted a more intimate, 'unplugged' solo show, allowing him to explore his canon in a de-constructed manner on guitar or piano (with occasional musical assists from US duo Larkin Poe), complete with complementary video clips and introductory anecdotes.

As mentioned, Costello hasn't stopped writing: a smattering of new, previously unreleased material in the sets (including songs from a forthcoming politically themed stage musical he's involved with, A Face In The Crowd) keeps things interesting for both performer and punter, while the inventive format of his current tours also helps him to breathe fresh life into well-worn old favourites like Oliver's Army, (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea et al.

"I think the biggest responsibility you have when you've been doing this for a while is to find a way to feel something in the older songs for yourself – because otherwise you're just reciting something as a ritual," Costello tells me.

"Breaking a song down to its component parts and maybe taking a song at the piano that you used to play on the guitar, that can make you think of it 'in the moment' again.

"The Detour show by its very nature, by its very title, takes a different way through the songbook every night. There are narrative elements to it: visual elements on the big TV screen I use trigger anecdotal introductions to some of the songs.

"Obviously I repeat certain elements from night to night but it's not 'hard scripted' – it's not a 'talk with slides', and one show will influence the another. So it keeps on changing."

The latter presentation dovetails nicely with Costello's recent autobiography, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, a mammoth tome in which the musician weaves his way back and forth through his life and works in an illuminating, often highly amusing manner.

"I had no interest in writing a book for train-spotters," he says of the project, which he insisted would have no easy-reference index for those more interested in fact than emotional context.

"I don't have that mentality. I know a lot of stuff about music but I'm really only interested in its emotional core rather than irrelevant details.

"All of my work has been driven by impulse and emotion. I've never been an intellectual – I'm not even well read!

"I stopped reading when I was 18, I got everything I know from records and movies."

Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink is also available as 15-hour-long audiobook read/performed by the author, who says he committed to the project for the sake of his children.

"There were a bunch of half-assed offers to write my life story," he says.

"There are lots of dilettantes with scissors and paper and people who want grudges settled out there. But I've got nine-year-old boys – if they wanna read the story of my life, I want them to hear it from me, because one day I might not be around or clear minded enough to tell them what really happened."

As for his most recent and possibly final recorded output, it seems fitting that Elvis Costello should get to hang up his studio headphones on a double high: "Wise Up Ghost which was a fantastic experience and unlike any other record I've ever made in terms of its methodology," he enthuses.

"I had different company in the studio: the record was largely a three-way conversation between myself, Questlove and Steven Mandel the engineer.

"Then I got involved in The New Basement Tapes at T-Bone Burnett's request, which put me in a studio with a bunch of younger musicians.

"We ended up being each other's bass player, organist or whatever – just trying different stuff. We had a lot of fun and laughed a lot of the time.

"The fact that the lyrics happened to have been written by Bob Dylan was almost kind of just a bonus."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And no mention of the format of the show with the Imposters !!
verbal gymnastics

Great interview.

I love the trainspotters paragraph which explains the deliberate lack of an index.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hmmm....

https://twitter.com/SSEBelfastArena/sta ... 1948820480

SSE Arena Belfast @SSEBelfastArena
The Countdown to @ElvisCostello is on! Pre - order your food and drinks now - http://bit.ly/1TbiI1q .

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

May be going to this.......a few things to be sorted out etc.
verbal gymnastics

It's a cavernous place - hope this is well attended. Elvis was in fine voice last night.

I wish the UK shows were as cheap!
verbal gymnastics

Was the show so good or that bad that nobody can bring themselves to post something? :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Maybe cos it hasn't hasn't happened yet . You need to get more sleep !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On the way , sweating buckets in a packed bus. I'm just over the border so I've just left Europe.

The venue Tweeted that Elvis & co. are on stage at 8.
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:Maybe cos it hasn't hasn't happened yet . You need to get more sleep !
Tell me about it! :lol:

I got home at 1am on Monday morning, the kids couldn't sleep last night and Mini VG2 woke me up at 5.45am. Still, I never know what day it is anyway...

Enjoy the Belfast gig John.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just back in Dublin from this. Too tired to go into now , except to say it was the most satisfying of the three EC shows I've seen this past week. The setlist is on wiki . Off to bed now - 1.20 - more in the morning!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Just back in Dublin from this. Too tired to go into now , except to say it was the most satisfying of the three EC shows I've seen this past week. The setlist is on wiki . Off to bed now - 1.20 - more in the morning!
01. Pump It Up
02. Radio, Radio
03. Watching The Detectives
04. Moods For Moderns
05. Accidents Will Happen
06. New Lace Sleeves
07. Sunday's Best / Polythene Pam
08. Walk Us Uptown
09. Clubland
10. She
11. Suit Of Lights
12. Good Year For The Roses
13. Bedlam
14. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
15. Night Rally
16. Riot Act
17. A Face In The Crowd
18. Green Shirt
19. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
20. Shipbuilding
21. Oliver's Army
22. Alison - including Tracks Of My Tears and Everyday I Write The Book
23. Less Than Zero
24. No Action
25. Big Tears
26. I Want You
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Thanks for the pictures.

How big was the crowd - I hope the floor space filled up a bit more!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Thanks for the pictures.

How big was the crowd - I hope the floor space filled up a bit more!
Yeah it doesn't look very busy from those photos