Elvis & The Imposters play Liverpool , July 11 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Liverpool , July 11 2016

Post by sulky lad »

I want that poster so I can give it to Mrs Sulky for her birthday in July to finish off the refurb of our country estate !! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:I want that poster so I can give it to Mrs Sulky for her birthday in July to finish off the refurb of our country estate !! :wink:
THAT IS WICKED COOL! any wife would love a hubby for THAT piece of art decorating one's manor! :)
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Hello Friends

Am sending my wife across the pond (from Boston) to the Liverpool and Glasgow shows...any info you can share about the venues, access to tickets and meet-ups would be appreciated.

Current plan is fly to Liverpool, train to Glasgow, fly home from Glasgow (open to better suggestions here as well)

Sadly, I cant join as i cant get away from work, having used much of my vacation time doing the west coast Detour shows.

Any help appreciated, folks!

Thanks
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

History Repeats wrote:Hello Friends

Am sending my wife across the pond (from Boston) to the Liverpool and Glasgow shows...any info you can share about the venues, access to tickets and meet-ups would be appreciated.

Current plan is fly to Liverpool, train to Glasgow, fly home from Glasgow (open to better suggestions here as well)

Sadly, I cant join as i cant get away from work, having used much of my vacation time doing the west coast Detour shows.

Any help appreciated, folks!

Thanks
I don't really have any practical information, but I would take the opportunity to sing the praises of the Liverpool Phil, and of Liverpool in general. It really is a fantastic place, and obviously soaked in pop music culture. If your wife's schedule allows (and particularly if she hasn't been before), she might want to book her Liverpool-Glasgow train for Wednesday morning, and use the Tuesday to do the Beatles' tour, visit the Cavern and so on. Or maybe fly in Sunday and do that on the Monday. The Phil is actually only five minutes' walk from the Institute for Performing Arts - set up by Macca in the building that was his old school - and that's well worth a look. Also, as you would expect, plenty of great places to eat - get a taxi and tell the driver to take you to 'Liverpool One' and then you can just wander around and pick the restaurant you like the look of. As above, taxi from Liverpool One back to the Phil will be ten minutes. There's also the Beatles Museum (and indeed the Tate Modern, which is free-entry) at the Albert Dock. So my advice for your wife is: exploit your schedule as far as possible to enjoy the wonderful city that is Liverpool!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

History Twice

Agree wholeheartedly with Hawksmoor's recommendation of the city of Liverpool, great that she's getting to Glasgow too - the capital cities of England and Scotland!

A few pointers re Liverpool and travel

Getting Here

She needs to check that she can fly directly here i.e. to Liverpool. Liverpool John Lennon Airport ( "above us only skies") mainly seems to handle short haul flights. More likely flights from USA will arrive @ Manchester. Worry ye not, there's a train service between M Airport and Liverpool City Centre (Lime St) as long as she doesn't arrive very late or very early she should be able to catch one, takes about an hour.

Liverpool Things

Open top bus tour - best way to see the city centre, hop on hop off and funny commentary along the way. A must.

Best Beatles - one of the Magical Mystery Tour Busses, route takes in all the usual Beatles spots everyone knows, Penny Lane etc, and goes past our road. Get tickets from the Beatles museum at the Albert dock.

Tate Liverpool is great - but it's not all free to enter. The current Francis Bacon show is going down a storm but entry is approx £10 for that bit. However you may bump into Elvis who's a member and regularly pops in when he's in town.

Museum of Liverpool is another essential, EC features in the music section, but there's a ton of things to see, also located near the Albert dock.

Maritime Museum - does what it says on the tin and lots of Liverpool / USA links

Hilton Hotel - where EC seems to stay, but pricey.

Gig and Meeting Places

Liverpool Philharmonic Hall is a beautiful art deco building with wonderful acoustics. It's located on the edge of the city centre.

Meeting places, the usual suspects mainly congregate in the pub across the road - the Philharmonic, which has a stunning interior. or the Fly in the Loaf, which is a bar about 100 yards further down the hill from the venue.

Meet ups are usually publicised via this board so watch this space!

Hope this helps a bit, send me a PM if you want any more!

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Top balcony wrote:History Twice

Agree wholeheartedly with Hawksmoor's recommendation of the city of Liverpool, great that she's getting to Glasgow too - the capital cities of England and Scotland!

Colin Top Balcony
And let's not forget that legendary Scouse wit...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

History Repeats wrote:Am sending my wife across the pond (from Boston) to the Liverpool and Glasgow shows...any info you can share about the venues, access to tickets and meet-ups would be appreciated.

As Top Balcony has covered off, Liverpool, I will say a little about Glasgow, but on the basis that I am not a native of that fair city. Before I do, let me add that your tour of Liverpool should include St George's Hall (not difficult if you pass through Liverpool Lime St Station), which features in the EC song "Red Cotton". Nearby is the Walker Art Gallery, which has some fine Pre-Raphaelite art.

Definitely take the train from Liverpool to Glasgow, probably change at Preston (where you'll be "waiting on a platform at a Lancashire Station"). The West Coast mainline through Cumbria and the Borders is lovely, and pretty quick too, taking you into the rather less lovely Glasgow Central Station. My hotel recommendation would be Citizen M, a bit quirky, but reasonably priced and central. It is, however a fair walk from Barrowlands, not one to be undertaken on your own at night and I don't know any decent hotels in the East End (where Barrowlands is). Barrowlands is an old school standing only venue which Elvis has played many times.

When in Glasgow, there are all things Charles Rennie Mackintosh to enjoy, as well as the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and the Burrell Collection. Both are outside the City Centre, so need some transport planning. The Burrell seems to have some building issues at the moment, and will close for renovation in October, so only a fraction of its collection is on display.

If flying back from Glasgow, make sure you are flying from Glasgow International airport, and not Glasgow Prestwick which is another thing entirely 32 miles away via a slow rail connection. I speak from experience.

MOOT
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

THaNK YOU all---top balcony, hawksmoor, moot and verbal gymnastics !!!

Will be all the sweeter, as seems now the U.S. shows (at least so far) are more Detour dates, not imposters...

Thank you again!

Much appreciated
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

In the manner of John Foyle:

Who's going?

Just like EC's advice about approaching a piano 'unexpectedly' this one's crept up on me without much notice.I'll be in the vicinity of the Phil pub approx 6.45 ish, sorry can't be certain to get there any earlier. If Bradwell's there i'll repay my debt of a pint.

Fingers crossed for Sulky to be the lucky Poster Boy for that hard to find country estate refurbishment completion item.

Excitement mounts...

Colin on the front row
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Busy making a compilation from 2015 for all and friends - I haven't had my ticket yet - have you had yours ??
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Yes - came very quickly via my pal who got it via the priority booking - I think you need to ring them up!

Gook luck -and check your PMs

Colin
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

We're going to this one after a weekend visiting family up north.
Have to avoid seeing the Roundhouse setlist until then!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

I'm there Row B seats 12 and 13. Then it's off to Dublin on Thursday for an extended break and another show.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Fishfinger king wrote:.
Have to avoid seeing the Roundhouse setlist until then!
Good luck with that!

I was taking the same approach but I gave in to temptation 10 minutes ago :-( :-( :-)

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Don't worry - I bet the setlist for Liverpool won't resemble the Roundhouse one!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Don't worry - I bet the setlist for Liverpool won't resemble the Roundhouse one!
AGREE! enjoy this run of shows, friends.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Don't worry - I bet the setlist for Liverpool won't resemble the Roundhouse one!
Actually, that's why I'm worried!

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

After last night, which album is Elvis going to plunder for Liverpool ? I think Trust is a genuine possibility and I'm counting on hearing at least a couple from this list . lover's walk, you'll never be a man, strict time ( opener ?), Luxembourg ( how topical!), from a whisper and my shoe-in Fish and chip paper and white knuckles !! And if I don't hear Dr Luthers Assistant on this tour, there 'll be trouble !!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

If you have time while visiting Liverpool this well worth a visit. I saw it in London last year.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/whats-on/ ... ea-p393981

THE JAM: ABOUT THE YOUNG IDEA

Cunard Building, The Strand, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3

1 July 2016 - 25 Sept 2016
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

The night after Liverpool Elvis has a day off, and Lucinda Williams is playing in Pocklington , near York. A good opportunity for a surprise encore appearance, perhaps?
John

Post by John »

Looking forward to this now. Colin mentions the Philharmonic pub at 6.45. Sounds like a plan?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've enjoyed the rigours of the M6 for over 2 1/2 hours from Birmingham, but got my usual parking space by Blackburne House. Walked around the corner to the Phil and caught Elvis ambushed by about a dozen folk waiting fur autographs - he seemed in a bit of a rush, I didn't join in . The Imposters were definitely sound checking before Elvis arrived but I was politely ushered out before I could try and work out what they were . Looking forward to the northern meet up and a different set list - row C for me !
BA and Otis, read your PMs !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Wild honey into OSOSummer at sound check now pretty clear in the street !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Can't attach a photo of one if the wheels of the tour bus up on a block - but then, this is Liverpool :oops: :wink:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist from ecsongbysong:

01. Big Tears
02. No Action
03. Watching The Detectives
04. Moods For Moderns
05. Flutter & Wow
06. Wild Honey / The Other Side Of Summer
07. New Lace Sleeves - including What Kind Of Fool Am I?
08. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
09. Walk Us Uptown
10. Sunday's Best
11. Polythene Pam
12. Clubland
13. Little Triggers
14. Stations Of The Cross
15. Bedlam
16. Oliver's Army
17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Encore 1
18. Pills And Soap
19. A Face In The Crowd
20. Green Shirt
21. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
22. Shipbuilding
23. Alibi
24. Happy Birthday To You - for EC's mother
25. All These Strangers
26. Night Rally
27. Tramp The Dirt Down
28. She - EC solo - one verse only
29. Good Year For The Roses
30. Alison
31. Pump It Up
“Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.” --@ElvisCostello, after playing “Tramp The Dirt Down” in Liverpool.
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.