Elvis & The Imposters play Dublin, July 16th 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Dublin, July 16th 2016

Post by sulky lad »

I've met VG hundreds of times now ( or so it seems) ----what was it Einstein said about repeating the same mistake over and over again :oops:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He didn't say anything - it's a misattributed quote!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I guess that makes me almost an "oxymoron" :oops:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm sure Verbal isn't all that bad. I've made plenty of mistakes in my life and he seems rather harmless. ;-)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

He's my dearest friend on the forum and the butt if my worst jokes but I value each and every occasion I spend with him and the wonderful gigs we've seen Elvis at even including the infamous Tower Of London show. He's amazingly generous, getting set lists from Milo and others for me when I've not attended gigs and we've been to Amsterdam and Paris to see Elvis - any tour following EC is the poorer for me if I've not attended a couple of shows with him - and I'm mortified if anyone thinks I regretted even a second of time spent in his amazingly witty and warm company - now can I have my Palladium free programme please ? :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sadly all of those kind, grovelling words are wasted as there's no programme - just a copy of his book (as I posted in another thread).

Feel free to rewrite your post with the truth but gear in mind that I have already saved it elsewhere :lol:

Also Spooky - your post itself is another of those mistakes!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The promoter just told me , via DM on Twitter, that a ' local band' will be doing a support set.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

I've probably asked this question before, but since it's still nagging me, I'll throw it out again....

I'm glad that EC continues to perform into (as of August) his sixties, but is it too much to ask, hope, that he'll simply record an album with the Imposters (the last one was Momufuku--over NINE years ago) and tour on it?

Don't get me wrong; I love the solo shows, but damn I'm hankering for a basic (i.e., no spinning wheel, no gimmics) EC & Imposters tour featuring some new stuff and lots of catalog....

What's the consensus--is that sort of thing never going to happen again? That would be sad indeed.....
erey

Post by erey »

Arbogast wrote:I've probably asked this question before, but since it's still nagging me, I'll throw it out again....

I'm glad that EC continues to perform into (as of August) his sixties, but is it too much to ask, hope, that he'll simply record an album with the Imposters (the last one was Momufuku--over NINE years ago) and tour on it?
Why would he do this? Seriously.

If your answer is "for fun" or "because some fans want it", come up with a better answer. If you can't come up with a better answer, then there's your answer.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Um...

--because he's a singer, songwriter, and RECORDING ARTIST?

--because it's not like he's averse to touring (how many years has "Detour" been going on now under one moniker or another); why not do it with his primary band?

--because still writes songs and goes into the studio (Wise Up Ghost, Lost on the River); again, why not do it with his primary band?

--because he likes money and he'd make more of it on the road with the Imposters, no?
erey

Post by erey »

Arbogast wrote:Um...

--because he's a singer, songwriter, and RECORDING ARTIST?
Only two of those gigs still make money for him. Actually, maybe only one. In any case, the last one is not, by itself, a viable business venture anymore for anybody except the "one-percent" of the music business, which does not include EC.
--because it's not like he's averse to touring (how many years has "Detour" been going on now under one moniker or another); why not do it with his primary band?
Because it's more expensive, and possibly less artistically satisfying, than touring by himself.

Besides, you said, "record an album and tour behind it" -- like we were in the 20th century or something! -- not just tour.
--because still writes songs and goes into the studio (Wise Up Ghost, Lost on the River); again, why not do it with his primary band?
So, he'll go into the studio when: 1.) It's somebody else's idea and they talk him into it (or trick him into it, as Questlove would have it); 2.) It's an interesting artistic stretch; and, 3.) He can basically do it in his spare time.

How's that going to work for an Imposters album?
--because he likes money and he'd make more of it on the road with the Imposters, no?
How would he make more money with the Imposters than by himself? More performers and crew to pay, more gear to haul. How much higher do you think ticket prices can go? I think there's a reason he only takes the Imposters out for festival gigs or when another act, like Steely Dan, is helping foot the bill. Besides, you said, "record an album and tour"...
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Who knows why he does what he does? Bringing it up at all is probably just wishful thinking on my part. And you're right---touring a new album is a passe idea, maybe, bordering on quaint. I guess I just wonder two things:

--Does he really simply not enjoy being onstage with his band anymore? Are these occasional festival gigs (which, face it, seem rather a greatest-hits snoozefest for serious fans like those who visit this wiki) booked just to put some money in Steve, Pete, and Davey's pockets once in a while?

--Regarding recording an "album," and stipulating that touring solo is more profitable: Are all his decisions nowadays really based on what makes the most money? Is this a guy who's struggling to keep the mortgage paid?
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

One more thing: Dylan, McCartney, Paul Simon, to name a few, continue to record "albums"--does that make them hopelessly out of touch? Isn't there some intrinsic value to writing songs and, um, "recording' them for posterity, to add to one's body of work?
erey

Post by erey »

Arbogast wrote:One more thing: Dylan, McCartney, Paul Simon, to name a few, continue to record "albums"--does that make them hopelessly out of touch?
Dylan, McCartney, and let's add Springsteen, are part of the tiny uppermost echelon of the music business that still makes money from selling recorded music. Paul Simon hopes he still is, although he may find out otherwise in the next few weeks.
Isn't there some intrinsic value to writing songs and, um, "recording' them for posterity, to add to one's body of work?
If you're asking my opinion, I don't really have one. More to the point, it's not like my opinion, or yours, matters here. Everything EC has said on the subject -- since, like, ever -- indicates he has very little interest in posterity.
Who knows why he does what he does?
I can't read EC's mind, but I can read the things he's written and said publicly. I don't think he's really that inscrutable.

I can state with some confidence that the chances of him recording an album with the Imposters in the foreseeable future are only slightly greater than the chances of Betamax making a comeback.
--Does he really simply not enjoy being onstage with his band anymore? Are these occasional festival gigs (which, face it, seem rather a greatest-hits snoozefest for serious fans like those who visit this wiki) booked just to put some money in Steve, Pete, and Davey's pockets once in a while?
I wouldn't say he doesn't enjoy playing with the Imposters anymore. The European summer tour we're talking about now is about half festival gigs and half normal gigs in smaller venues (more than I thought until I looked). Likewise, when they were touring with Steely Dan last year, they squeezed in a few headliner gigs in medium-sized theaters on their off days. I doubt that was strictly to maximize receipts. But my guess is a straight-up, full-length tour with the Imposters is not all that attractive to EC, either artistically or financially. Otherwise, he'd be doing it.
--Regarding recording an "album," and stipulating that touring solo is more profitable: Are all his decisions nowadays really based on what makes the most money? Is this a guy who's struggling to keep the mortgage paid?
Making the most money? Obviously not. If that was his goal, he'd be touring with "the Attractions" (quote, unquote), doing a greatest-hits nostalgia act, and licensing his back catalog to a fare-thee-well, to name just a few things he could be doing.

Instead, he seems have been mainly working on writing songs for musical plays these past few years. An artistic stretch, a chance to collaborate with people he admires, the potential to connect with a new audience, and a circle-back to his original ambition of being a non-performing songwriter. Plus, he can probably be home when his kids get off school most days.

But are his decisions based on making some money or at least not losing money? Of course they are. Because that's what it means to be a professional musician. If you read his memoir, it's abundantly clear how serious he was about making a living from music from the very beginning. It is the family business, after all.

When he stops being concerned about making money, he'll be retired. Sort of by definition.
erey

Post by erey »

I hate to say "I told you so"... Actually, that's not true. I sorta love to say "I told you so". :wink:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 4#p7726958
cwr

Post by cwr »

Of course, the smart money is on him never, ever making another album with The Imposters-- he's been pretty consistent since quitting records in 2010, only going into the studio when others lure him (Roots & T-Bone)-- but there was also the time when he took a pretty definitive-seeming public stance against ever making another record right before he made Momofuku and SP&S in quick succession, so I'll never be able to fully stop hoping that such a thing could happen again.

One thing that he's never done that I could imagine happening is that he could do a "live" album with The Imposters featuring all-new material-- eliminating the need for booking expensive studio time, but finding a way to properly release a new batch of songs. He already has more than enough material for several albums, not even counting the songs he's written for his various stage musicals-in-development, if you look back to all the songs that didn't make the cut for The Delivery Man, like "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter", "Suspect My Tears", etc.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Sad. So very, very sad.....
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I quite like a greatest hits snooze fest once in a while.

Elvis always seems to be busy I am guessing the many musicals he has in progress are taking up his time. You just never know if the songs he writes he feels warrants a group environment perhaps we will see another Imposters record but it looks a long way off if at all.
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Does anyone know how the sections work at the Inveagh Gardens? My tickets say Section GA1.

My wife and me will be landing on Thursday and making a long weekend of it.

One regret was not buying my Euros before the Referendum.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's general admission , all standing.

oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Thank you, need to get there early I think. Our hotel doesn't look that far away, it's the Camden Court.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Camden Court is right around the corner - so now we know where the after party will be ! :D :D
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Bring it on. :D :D :D :D

I'm Andy Hayes on FB if you weren't aware.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Today's Irish Times - 'NEXT WEEK!' - translation- plenty of tickets available
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Lost Brothers are doing support, on stage from 7.30 to 8.15.