Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Henley, 7 July 2016

Post by sulky lad »

:cry:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Maybe we've got this wrong all along.

Re-watching EC play "Tramp" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z8Uns_ocgQ

at the Cornbury Festival, I'm reminded that during the intro Elvis said this in relation to Cameron : "You never know who you're going to run into here, and if I ran into him I'd drive a stake right through his fucking heart."

perhaps our man has been busy whittling?

Colin Top Balcony
OnesNamedAlfie

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

Any place good enough to site (some of) Dusty Springfield's ashes is good enough for me to watch EC, so I'm very much in for this...
buzz

Post by buzz »

I have tickets for Lawn B, now to sort out the dress code. Hope EC wears his tux.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

What a shame nearly everyone is giving this a miss I would loved to have you in all your finery;. Even the women
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'd only get mixed up for being a waiter :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And I wouldn't be let in because of being Riff Raff
verbal gymnastics

Add that to my one as well!

I doubt that I'm their kind of people :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=66c ... 1f2bf1d41b

(extract)

Rock 'n' Roll, Comedy and Good Times...

Thursday 7th July sponsored by Invesco Perpetual sees a completely different side to the glitz and the glamour of Henley Festival!

With Rock 'n' Roll legend Elvis Costello and The Impostors headlining the Floating Stage, his huge hits such as Peace, Love and Understanding, Chelsea and She are guaranteed to have you dancing all evening! As will the hotly anticipated "greatest living guitarist" Jose Feliciano, who we welcome to our new venue Pizza Express Live @ The Top.
verbal gymnastics

I must admit, "She" always gets me up and dancing... :lol:

...by that I mean closing my eyes and sleeping.

And could someone tell me when and where PLU was a huge hit for Elvis?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The Henley Standard has an article dated 6 June about catering for the Henley Festival

Cooking for Elvis is always on my mind

ON Thursday, July 7, I'm cooking for my second Elvis in almost as many months, writes Paul Clerehugh.

The oil cools when you load chips into a fryer, and an electrical surge is drawn — reheating the cooking oil.

This tripped the power on stage at the Henley Festival 2015 during Bryan Ferry's mouth organ solo on Jealous Guy.

To my surprise, delight and relief, those lovely people at the Henley Festival have invited my Crooked Billet Pop-Up Gastro Pub back this year.

There will be 250 prime riverside restaurant seats. Interesting, delicious, unpretentious food. Relaxed, informal al fresco dining. No need to book — just turn up.

The stars' dressing room/green room is part of our pop-up — if you're after a selfie, or a pint of Rebellion IPA with Dame Shirley Bassey.

Hats off to the festival organisers for booking Elvis Costello. Very on point. We'll have a very cool and boho audience on Thursday 7th.

Having the green room next to my festival kitchen, I'm privy to their riders, food requirements and funky requests. Will give you all the gossip in my next column.

Unlike the Presley, the Costello is predominantly vegetarian, occasionally enjoys fish. Never meat. I'll have loads of crunchy, vibrant, colourful, sexy salads, veggie specials and seafood at the festival.

To my bewilderment, I'm cooking for Elvis twice in eight weeks. The last time was a couple of weeks ago in the Chipperfield's Circus big top at Sir William and Lady McAlpine's Fawley Hill estate.

A charity dinner, 500 guests, with the world's number one Elvis tribute, Ben Portsmouth, who with his big band rocked the place. The Lady McAlpine in skintight leathers, centre stage with Elvis, shaking her maracas.

The only tangible difference I noticed between Portsmouth and Elvis Presley was chow. Food consumed, carbs, diet.

The King was renowned for craving Fool's Gold Loaf — focaccia loaded with bacon, peanut butter and jello. Not to mention fudge cookies, pickles and Shasta's Black Cherryade.

Disappointingly, Elvis Portsmouth binged on steamed asparagus, puy lentil, vinaigrette, chargriddled greenhouse vegetables, salsa verde, quinoa broad beans — all washed down with gently sparkling Blenheim Palace mineral water. His rider requiring the broad beans peeled from their translucent skins.

Sir William, Lady McAlpine and their revellers raised several thousand pounds for local charities.

On July 7, I guess I'd better hide the crispy duck, slow cooked long-horn salt beef, herbed paprika guinea fowl and African braised goat from Elvis C.

I'm taking my Mr Whippy machine along to pipe ice cream on to dark Belgian chocolate mousse. Bet Elton John will love that.

By the way, Elvis Costello's first broadcast recording was with his dad in the R White's Lemonade “I'm a Secret Lemonade Drinker” advert from 1973.

His father wrote and sang, and Elvis — then known as Declan MacManus — provided the backing vocals. Better order R White's to accompany the Pimm's, fruit and veg.

• Paul Clerehugh is chef proprietor of the Crooked Billet, Stoke Row, and London Street Brasserie, Reading."

You don't get articles like this for every show Elvis does, clearly. I shall not be part of the "very cool and boho audience".

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
buzz

Post by buzz »

I'll be there for what should be a fascinating night. Great set list from last night should influence tonight, hopefully EC will be in an uncompromising mood and play some blistering versions. Can't wait.
verbal gymnastics

Don't worry - he's in an uncompromising mood all right!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos of forum members in tuxedos & ball gowns would be appreciated.
verbal gymnastics

I've got pictures of myself in both if you're interested :wink: :shock: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... fde40.html

Setlist.fm has this:
  • Pump It Up
    Radio Radio
    Can You Hear Me?
    Watching the Detectives
    Everyday I Write the Book
    Alison
    Wild Honey
    The Other Side of Summer
    Moods for Moderns / Shotgun
    (I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea
    Sunday's Best / Polythene pam
    Walk Us Uptown
    Clubland
    She
    Lost on the River #12
    (Unknown)

Encore:
    Night Rally
    Shipbuilding
    Oliver's Army
    (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
buzz

Post by buzz »

What a remarkable gig that was so entertaining. Elvis played with energy and drive as if his life depended in it. Seeing the make up if the audience I was unsure if this was going to work but guess what, the crowd were up for it, lubricated by some expensive bubbly. He launched into 'hits' and they loved it. People were standing and cheering from the outset and some confrontations with stewards occurred. However some people there were not used to having their fun spoiled and the young, polite stewards stood no chance. Elvis did what must have been a 10 minute version of Everyday... as he walked around the venue and I think they went through the the lyrics twice. He was feted and cheered on his procession. Once he'd got everyone warmed up (if not over heated) he brought out the songs that he hasn't played in a while and you knew something remarkable was going down. These were all well received before a blistering Bedlam took him off stage. He returned with a chilling 'Night Rally' with and 'Shipbuilding' that were haunting and ended with more hits. Although the the "boys" of the Thames seemed a million miles away, many of the stinging lyrics were so relevant to an audience such as this. Whether that was noted, who knows, but they certainly idolised him. Elvis seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself and to see him with the Imposters after so long and without the songbook he seemed liberated and just let the music do the talking.

As far as the track list goes, can I add that the third song was 'High Fidelity', 'Alison' had both 'tracks of my tears' and 'tears of a clown' added, 'wild honey' bookended 'summer', I thought 'polythene pam' was a stand alone track, 'clubland' was extended, 'she' was solo acoustic and he joked the members of the band don't like it so they wouldn't join in, he said he had to play 'lost on the river' and we'd soon see why, he played the grand piano in an instrumental break on 'bedlam' whilst Steve was on another keyboard, this was the last song before the encore. He was adding something to the end of PLU but I couldn't quite place it.

Sorry this is a bit of a rush but I've got to get to work after a late night! Other things might come to me but I'll add them if they seem relevant.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/satureyes/status/751227912339202048

•satureyes• @satureyes

@ElvisCostello and the Imposters @henleyfestival were brilliant. 5 mins before showtime - they looked like this..

http://www.satureyesmedia.com/

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Short article and photo in the Henley Standard today.

"Up close and personal with Elvis Costello

ELVIS COSTELLO got up and close and personal with his fans when he performed at the Henley Festival last night (Thursday, July 7).

Five songs into his set, as he performed Everyday I Write The Book and Alison, the alternative rocker disappeared backstage then re-emerged among the crowd.

Spectators packed around him taking pictures on their phones as he walked up and down the aisles singing into a wireless microphone.

Costello barely spoke during his 90-minute show, which he opened with his 1978 singles Pump It Up and Radio Radio.

Accompanied by his band The Imposters, he raced through 20 songs including hits Oliver's Army, Clubland, Watching The Detectives and (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea.

The crowd were seated as he walked on stage but within minutes they were on their feet and dancing for the rest of the night.

For the full story, see next week's Henley Standard. "
Credit to the Henley Standard
Credit to the Henley Standard
ElvisCostelloHenleyFestival.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 21304 times
"Alternative rocker"?

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Excellent! As he didn't speak much again (maybe that's a feature of the tour or he's saving his voice), I'd love to know what he DID say...
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Sounds amazing! Wish I'd gone now! Doh !
Waiting now for the report from Cocktail Murderess ! :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

80s pop stars meet

https://twitter.com/caroldecker/status/ ... 1815965696

carol decker @caroldecker
Yeah that’s right! It’s only me with @ElvisCostello I met a musical hero! Lovely bloke too