Elvis solo, US Detour tour, Spring 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo, US Detour tour, Spring 2016

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... g-2016/782

Elvis Costello has announced west coast US solo “Detour” dates for spring 2016. Confirmed dates below with more to be announced.

Costello’s solo dates over the last several years are lauded by critics and fans, called “unforgettable” and “The best showcase of [Elvis’] talent to date.”

Performing with guitar and piano in front of a giant television set on which are projected family photos, mysteries, mottos and other mischief, Costello sings his best known songs and the hits of tomorrow in a way that is both intimate and vividly emotional.

The show turns in a moment from gravity to humour, the singer pauses only to tell tales about his songs.

These dates are Costello’s first since the release of his best-selling memoir “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink” (Blue Rider Press/Penguin Random House).

“His live performances, much like his voice, have lost none of their power.” – Lewis Howse of What Culture: June 11th, 2015

“His Detour tour is back to the beginnings, too, with Costello performing most songs solo as if he were trying them out for the first time. That voice, sometimes a deep, mellow, heavy whisper, at others sailing to the top notes, and frequently a rock ‘n’ roll screech, sounded as good as new.” – Western Morning News (UK): June 25th, 2015

“Still looking like he could play for a few more hours, Costello finally left the stage to a standing ovation that was thoroughly deserved for a performance that reaffirmed him as one of the truly great troubadours of our time.” – Bristol Post (UK): June 22nd, 2015

“To carry a room as big as the Uptown, a good one-person show requires an entertainer with either a large, vibrant personality or a deep reservoir of memorable music. Costello brought both.” - Kansas City Star: March 6th, 2015

“Truly unforgettable.” – The Pitch: March 6th, 2015

“The best showcase of [Elvis’] talent to date.” – The Denver Post: March 2nd, 2015

"Detour" Tour Dates (more dates to be announced)

3/30 - San Francisco, CA - The Masonic

4/1 - Santa Barbara, CA - Arlington Theater

4/2 - Los Angeles, CA - Ace Theatre

4/3 - Los Angeles, CA - Ace Theatre

4/5 - Riverside, CA - Fox PAC

4/12 - Salt Lake City, UT - Kingsbury Hall

4/13 - Jackson Hole, WY - Center for the Arts

UMe has re-issued Elvis Costello’s seminal first 11 studio albums and his 1980 compilation album ‘Taking Liberties’ on vinyl, available in widespread release for the first time since their original issue dates. All titles, originally released on Columbia Records between 1977 and 1986, have been re-mastered from the original tapes and reissued on high quality 180-gram vinyl with their original artwork. All titles are available now, except ‘Trust’, which will be released Dec. 4.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Re: Elvis solo, US Detour tour, Spring 2016

Post by MOJO »

Sweet, although I am not a fan of The Masonic auditorium even after the upgrade. I'll take whatever I can get, however! Happy holidaze.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

This will be Elvis' first show in Wyoming, assuming it's not canceled like his 2005 attempt to play there.

The other states he has yet to play are Alaska, Arkansas, Montana, and North Dakota.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BA, what's with a lack of East Coast shows ? Is EC trying to avoid you ?? Ps I'm still working on my list of songs I've seen EC sing - but don't hold your breath !! :wink:
And No Coffee Table

They've added a show April 7 in San Diego, CA.

http://elvis-costello.wun.io/events/358203
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:BA, what's with a lack of East Coast shows ? Is EC trying to avoid you ?? Ps I'm still working on my list of songs I've seen EC sing - but don't hold your breath !! :wink:
Haha Sulky, as I predicted, USA will see him before you all in 2016. My next obviously CORRECT guess, has him working his way East towards me by end of April, to fly out from NYC to get to you all for May!!! :)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hey, BA , good shout- it's a realistic and profitable course for him to take. I now predict a Red Bank show or two !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'd rather TWO more twenty miles from home at the Capitol in Port Chester or my beloved UPAC 75 miles away in Kingston, NY. OR a new, different venue works also. I'll take what I can get PLEASE.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... autologin=

Elvis Costello brings his solo Detour tour to Mesa

Elvis Costello, the greatest live performer I have ever seen, is set to bring his solo "Detour" tour to Mesa for a Friday, April 8, performance at Mesa Arts Center, and Tucson the following night at the Rialto Theatre.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 11 at the venue box offices, ticketmaster.com and Bookman's locations.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card

Apr 13 - Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA - Center For The Arts

Apr 15 - Boise, Idaho, USA - Egyptian Theatre

Apr 16 - Eugene, Oregon, USA - McDonald Theatre
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.broadwayworld.com/san-diego/ ... e-20151207

Wells Fargo Center Adds Vince Gill, Elvis Costello & Emmylou Harris to 2016 Schedule

(...)
Elvis Costello's solo "Detour" tour arrives on March 29 in Santa Rosa. Costello's solo dates over the last several years are lauded by critics and fans, called "unforgettable" and "The best showcase of [Elvis'] talent to date." Performing with guitar and piano in front of a giant television set on which are projected family photos, mysteries, mottos and other mischief, Costello sings his best known songs and the hits of tomorrow in a way that is both intimate and vividly emotional. The show turns in a moment from gravity to humor, the singer pauses only to tell tales about his songs.
(...)
And No Coffee Table

The Paramount Theatre in Denver has been added on April 11.

An email from Wonderful Union says that "select dates will now include special guest Larkin Poe."

The "select dates" are all but the first show in Los Angeles.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/twistDenver/status/ ... 2549343232

Email contests@twistandshout.com to enter to WIN 2tix
@ElvisCostello 4/11 @ParamountCO!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Win tickets for the Denver show on April 11th -

https://twitter.com/twistDenver/status/ ... 7337886721
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who's in charge of the song tally for the tour?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Bearing in mind the numerous family stories emerging from the Detour shows, its surprising that Any King's Shilling hasn't had an airing, And unrelated to this, how about a criminally overlooked song Fish N Chip paper?? According to the EC Wiki there were FIVE known performances in 1980...and that's it!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Who's in charge of the song tally for the tour?
I was dethroned tours ago by the matrix people. :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's not as much fun as when you do it though!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I Second That Emotion !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/04/s ... -costello/

Tour Diary: Larkin Poe Goes On The Road With Elvis Costello

Written By Larkin Poe

April 7, 2016

This is Part One of a multi-part series.

Santa Rosa, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles … Winding up and down the golden state of California, we’ve been on tour with Elvis Costello for eight days now. Detour, USA. 6 shows down, 9 shows to go. My sister and I have been trailing the convoy of buses and trucks in a humble sedan (an “economy level” vehicle, as stated in our Alamo rental agreement). Thankfully, we’re finally old enough to rent a vehicle of our own accord. There is freedom to be found on the endless miles of freeway, but we’d be lying if we didn’t admit to dreading the upcoming 12 and 14 hour drives yet to be made, looming darkly on the horizon of next week’s travel itinerary. As sisters, we love each other greatly, but we will have to treat one another carefully to ensure that we both get off this tour alive. If one sister turns up dead at a truck stop in Colorado or Wyoming … we will have failed.

And how did we come to be here in this sedan, on this tour, supporting Elvis Costello? Two sisters from Atlanta, one living legend from Liverpool … The connection is not immediately obvious, but come watch a show and you’ll understand. When we raise our voices together, eras and home countries fall away, and there is only music to be made.

My sister and I first met Elvis Costello in 2007 at MerleFest, a wonderful Americana festival in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. E.C. was headlining the festival; our band was booked to perform on the “Cabin Stage.” During a fortuitous Friday night “All-Star Jam” on the main stage of the festival, our 16 and 17-year-old selves wound up onstage to sing harmonies behind a distinguished gentleman in a full suit, dark sunglasses, and dapper hat. The song was “Angel Band,” a traditional gospel. The gentleman was Elvis Costello. E.C. shook our hands after the song and an immediate friendship was struck.

In the years since that first fateful meeting, we three have become a misfit “angel band” of our own. We have sung countless songs together in countless countries. We have sung for the times and sung for the sake of singing. We have paid homage to the greats of music, alive and dead, and been repaid tenfold by the unsurpassed joy of singing a well-written song for the listening ears of a rapt audience. Over the years, E.C. has kept us beneath his wing and quietly asked us big questions. “Have you listened to Jerry Lee Lewis?” “Have you noted the beauty of these Hank Williams lyrics?” “Did you watch this performance by Bob Dylan?” It is a musical conversation that has spanned from our teens into our mid-twenties. As young songwriters, it is not a conversation that we take lightly. To sing “Scarlet Tide” with the man who wrote those well-deep lyrics is an eye-and-soul-opening experience. And tonight, in Riverside, we get to speak with him again … using the language of note choice and vocal inflection. Hopefully the people seated in the chairs facing the stage will get as much out of the performance as we will.

— REBECCA LOVELL, guitarist
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

johnfoyle wrote: We have sung countless songs together ...— REBECCA LOVELL,
By my count they've sung :

Pads paws and claws
Thats not the part
Kinder Murder
American without Tears
Laughing at
Down on the bottom
Blame it on Caine
Good Year for the Roses
Brilliant Mistake
PLU
Lovefield
Hidee hi
Nothing clings like Ivy
Blue Window
Lost on the River
Six Months in kansas City
Hoover Factory
Going back
Will You Still Love Me
Long Distance Lover
Withered and Died

What have I missed?

Colin Top Balcony
krm

Post by krm »

https://youtu.be/zvpKoFSk3B4
Golden tom - silver Judas could be added
And No Coffee Table

Top balcony wrote:What have I missed?
I'm not sure if they sang together on all these, but these are the other EC/Larkin Poe performances listed on the wiki:

The Scarlet Tide
The Crooked Line
Sulphur To Sugarcane
Red Cotton
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
I Turn Around
Alison
I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came
Turpentine
Indoor Fireworks
Diamond Ring
I Knew The Bride
Cry, Cry, Cry
Stranger In The House
Release Me
My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You
All The Rage
It Must Have Been The Roses
Clown Strike
TV Is The Thing (This Year)

Also Femme Fatale and Mystery Train if you count Lovell Sisters performances.