WINTER....where has he referenced it before?

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

WINTER....where has he referenced it before?

Post by bronxapostle »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My constant readers here KNOW I ALWAYS give credit to any little tidbit he plays when I see him. In Brooklyn, during conversation with Rosanne, he mumbled a few lines from his song WINTER. I know I have heard him mention this tune elsewhere a few years back. But, I can't recall where or when. Fellow archivists, HELP!!! King Foyle? ANCT? Anyone? Thanks, Benny
charliestumpy

Re: WINTER....where has he referenced it before?

Post by charliestumpy »

2007-07-24 Winter Song ...

E.G. http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 5&start=25

etc copies not on sale legally available ...

Don't worry re what DPAM is said to have said ... enjoy the joy.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

During the stories he told when performing "God's Comic" he used to tell that "Winter" was the first song he wrote.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

That sounds familiar SP. so then the one he jokingly sang a quick bit from is NOT the one Charlie mentions by Lindisfarne??? THANK YOU both.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:During the stories he told when performing "God's Comic" he used to tell that "Winter" was the first song he wrote.
I think he said he wrote it when he was about 14 and also used to say, jocularly, that it wasn't very good.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
erey

Post by erey »

bronxapostle wrote:That sounds familiar SP. so then the one he jokingly sang a quick bit from is NOT the one Charlie mentions by Lindisfarne??? THANK YOU both.
I didn't catch what he sang during the Roseanne Cash/BAM appearance (give me the approximate time and I'll take another look), but "Winter Song" by Lindisfarne and "Winter" by Declan MacManus are two different songs.

EC says the latter is the first song he ever wrote, at age 13 or 14. He's mentioned it before; he definitely talked about it to Marian McPartland when she interviewed him for her show. He usually says he doesn't remember how it went, but mentions it to send up his earnest adolescent gloominess at the time.

I don't think it will be showing up on any "unofficial releases", unless there was a taper in the right Twickenham church basement, circa 1969. :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

erey wrote:I don't think it will be showing up on any "unofficial releases", unless there was a taper in the right Twickenham church basement, circa 1969. :)
Believe me, if there was then John would have found him or her by now :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'm gonna anoint docinwestchester with the assignment of pinpointing the time of the spot it appeared in Brooklyn...PLEASE. was it mentioned with Marian that awesome day up at Tanglewood?
erey

Post by erey »

bronxapostle wrote:was it mentioned with Marian that awesome day up at Tanglewood?
No, it was from the 2003 show when she interviewed him in her studio. He mentions it on track 5 of the CD.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And don't forget in the " uplifting" key of E minor !
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for this other 'Winter' info.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

as DOC assuredly missed my request to name the time in the video, can someone else kindly? ii was in between SHIPBUILDING and BEYOND BELIEF!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:as DOC assuredly missed my request to name the time in the video, can someone else kindly? ii was in between SHIPBUILDING and BEYOND BELIEF!
I'll look there. Is YouTube not working on your computer?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Doc...I thought you knew my computer has been on life support for about eighteen months now, AND I am the stupidest of smart phone users eleven months since upgrading from my beloved flip top. DON'T YOU KNOW YOUR ANALOG FRIEND BY NOW???? :lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:as DOC assuredly missed my request to name the time in the video, can someone else kindly? ii was in between SHIPBUILDING and BEYOND BELIEF!

at 1:43:50

The first time I ever played in public, Ewan MacColl, the man who wrote Dirty Old Town, was the headline singer in the [fund?] club I was singing in when I was 15 or 14. And as I looked up from my little song I was like [....hums a little...] treated me wrong, treated me wrong...I don't have a song [played?] but it was in E minor. It was called Winter and I looked up and he was fast asleep. But I got it good later.