RIP ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

RIP ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Post by bronxapostle »

So sad and oddly coincidental on the day we get to share the night with Elvis.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/2015/11 ... /75500982/
John

Re: RIP ALLEN TOUSSAINT

Post by John »

What terrible news. I met him briefly after the Liverpool Picket show. What a charming gentleman he was.
RIP Allen and thank you for your music.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Damn.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

I'll be there tonight as well. I'm sure EC will be quite emotional. Mr. Toussaint was a true gentleman, in every sense of the word. God bless.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

RIP Allen always seemed a true gentleman
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Words fail me. Unfortunately I never got to meet him but he always seemed a really humble man.

RIP Allen.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Shellacandvinyl

Post by Shellacandvinyl »

One of the greats. I'm so thankful to EC for leading me to him. Really sad to hear this.
And you try so hard
To be like the big boys, oh
https://twitter.com/shellacandvinyl
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Steve Nieve just posted his own version of "Ascension Day" to his SoundCloud page.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-nieve-offi ... ension-day
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Very sad news. RIP Mr Toussaint.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

He was quite a man. Check out the New Orleans episode of the Foo Fighters' "Sonic Highways" episode for some insight on Allen. I thought it was pretty good.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

So sad. What happened? Man, some of these older musicians need to stop touring endlessly. It's exhausting, I imagine. We need these people to stay alive, damn it!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

After the Picket show, I met Allen and said I'd never play like him and he said "keep practising and you can never know what will happen" , he had a graceful, gentle manner with everyone waiting to meet him. Such humility and gentleness of spirit was astounding - I'm grateful five minutes of my life were spent in his company and that I've had the privilege of hearing him perform twice . RIP
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Thanks to Top Balcony, I have recently been listening to the Picket show. What a wonderful night it must have been and what a great and influential musician we have lost. I will play something sweet, something mellow.....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Gosh what sad news. 77 seems too young in this day and age, but to be touring at that age is a great achievement and for sure it must be so demanding physically. Rather heartbreakingly, the last song he ever performed, Brickyard Blues is on this link, plus an earlier one from the set. The solo at the end of this last song is spectacular. You'd never think he could be doing that one day and not with us still the next:
http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... al_pe.html

Sadly I never saw him live, but always loved him, and can't think of a better way to wave bye bye than this gorgeous cover performed to commemorate the death of its composer, Jess Winchester. Really shows his voice and piano playing off perfectly:
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Shatteredmannequin

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

Wow. Really sad news that just hit me very hard. So sorry to hear.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Elvis started the night tonight in Brooklyn with a wonderful video DUO version of THE GREATEST LOVE, just he and Allen in black and white, that i do not ever recall seeing before. Elvis vocals were superb as was the camaradarie (sp?) between the two gentlemen. Allen ACES on piano as always and vocals too. a really, SWEET, stellar tribute to his life to start the melancholy night i am certain that it was for EC. i know doc will get this video up here if it is somehow previously unavailable.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle wrote:Elvis started the night tonight in Brooklyn with a wonderful video DUO version of THE GREATEST LOVE, just he and Allen in black and white, that i do not ever recall seeing before. Elvis vocals were superb as was the camaradarie (sp?) between the two gentlemen. Allen ACES on piano as always and vocals too. a really, SWEET, stellar tribute to his life to start the melancholy night i am certain that it was for EC. i know doc will get this video up here if it is somehow previously unavailable.
The Treme clip?

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 ... ove_e.html
jmm

Post by jmm »

AT was a great musician and a better person, so generous with his time and talent, full of respect and love for everyone

What a pleasure to see 20+ shows at Joe's Pub in NYC and numerous others in recent years. When talking with him many times and places, he was unfailingly patient and appreciative of his fans. His joy in having children sing along with him as he played was a great example of this

Was wonderful to hear the respect and love expressed by EC and Rosanne last night at BAM

May ATs family (and all of us) take comfort in all that he created, collaborated on and shared. He will truly be missed but thankfully there is a deep pool to continue to enjoy, even while we mourn his passing
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A 'musician's' musician. No better compliment is necessary. My favorite aspect of his artistry was the horn arrangements he contributed to The Band's songs for their performances at The Academy of Music those last nights of 1971. I was fortunate to be in the audience on 12/31/71 and besides seeing Dylan live for the first time I heard those punchy, vibrant arrangements and the way they transformed the original songs. It is nice to have the recorded memory available of his musicianship.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Very sad.

The fabulous 2007 Picket show is probably my favourite gig of Elvis' that I've attended, for lots of reasons. Big amongst them was the exquisite playing of Allen and his wonderful Band and Horns.

A genius, RIP
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Concert footage of Allen and friends -
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Requiescat/Requiescant in pace - for all.

Only followed AT because of EC connections back then.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

As soon as I heard the news, I went right to this clip of Allen's moving version of Jesse Winchester's Bye Bye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvBD5T9za4
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new ... e/36464308

Funeral services for music legend Allen Toussaint set for Friday at Orpheum Theatre

Music legend Allen Toussaint will be laid to rest after a funeral service Friday at the Orpheum Theatre.

Toussaint died Monday following a performance in Spain. Born in Gert Town in 1938, the 77-year-old singer, songwriter and producer became world-renowned and performed with the likes of Irma Thomas, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and Fats Domino.

On Friday, funeral services for Toussaint will begin with visitation at 8 a.m. at the Orpheum. Visitation will continue until his tribute begins at 11 a.m.

Toussaint will be laid to rest during a private burial. Funeral arrangements are being handled by D.W. Rhodes Funeral Home in New Orleans.

Before his death, Toussaint was set to perform a benefit concert alongside his longtime friend Paul Simon in New Orleans to raise money for New Orleans Artists Against Hunger and Homelessness.

Family members would like the public to send any donations to New Orleans Artists Against Hunger and Homelessness. More information about the organization can be found on the organization's website.

Members of the public can visit the Rhodes Funeral Home website to sign Toussaint's guestbook: http://www.rhodesfuneral.com/obituaries ... !/Obituary
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4938778624

"A Prince In Thin Disguise" Allen was unfailing, gracious, elegant and musically curious - http://bit.ly/Chapter28

"I have been so lucky to spend even this little time with Allen Toussaint.

I’m grateful to Blue Rider for allowing me to present these amended excerpts from Chapter 28 of “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink” to tell some of this story.

Allen was unfailingly gracious, elegant and musically curious.

We last shared the stage at the Civic Center in New Orleans in February of this year. As always, he was thoughtful, bringing a late Mardi Gras gift for my wife and asking after the well-being of my sons and my mother, who he had once visited on a trip around Merseyside.

He signed off every note and phone call the same way; “Looking Forward”.

I will miss him very much."