EC song of the week

Pretty self-explanatory
Kevin Davis

Re: EC song of the week

Post by Kevin Davis »

Thank you all again for your feedback, we are really glad people are enjoying these! The "Song to Rose" pick was Jorge's -- it'll be my pick this week (though I say "week" loosely, as we've found we're a bit on rock and roll time with these posts). Anyway, very happy for the comments -- and for the illumination, rightbrain!
KD's music blog
KD's book
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Aaand we're back (again!):
https://ecsotw.wordpress.com/2016/03/11 ... -romances/

All the way back to the beginning on this one -- happy Friday!
KD's music blog
KD's book
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

KD's music blog
KD's book
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Jorge, I can empathize with your late night existential personal encounter. I, too, have had a few over the years. I like that your connection to this song, or perhaps any song for that matter, comes from a personal point of reference. I can hear how the song is anchored in your mind and memory because of that 'personal' quality. There are a number of songs on the King of America album that hold strong associations for me. My moniker on this site is a tribute to one. I will not argue other interpretations of the song's lyric. That it works for you is good enough for me. It has always had that 'quarter to three in the morning' and no human contact remains other than the bottom of a glass and perhaps a bartender feel to my ears and eyes. A modern day proto Sinatra take. I like how you have highlighted a more obscure song from the canon.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks again guys, a song that means a lot to me ( surprise) because of slightly different references. I'd done my lost in a big city 9 years earlier, moving from a Devon country village to University in London but very soon after going through a major personal upheaveal, I went to see Christie More in concert in Nottingham and, in the middle of abeautiful intimate crafted concert, I had an ephiphany of peace and contentment. I'm not even sure if he performed Deportee but his singing and the peace and tranquility of that concert gave me hope for a daunting future and I bought my future wife the CD with Christie singing Deportee on it and it's one of "our" CDs . Incidentally, I always loved the GCW versions, it was a revelation live in Oxford in October 1984 but this version lifts it up to a whole new level. Thanks again for this, guys, always a delight to read - and follow up by listening !
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Thanks guys! This week we dig a forgotten trinket out from the recesses of Elvis's circa '91 beard:
https://ecsotw.wordpress.com
KD's music blog
KD's book
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Great pop song -- composition and performance.
Shoulda been a hit...
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

This week's entry -- a gem from "Taking Liberties":

https://ecsotw.wordpress.com/2016/04/04 ... collision/
KD's music blog
KD's book
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

A great choice this week. I've always thought of this song as the New Wave version of a Roxy Music song like "Mother of Pearl" with it's manic first half and then quiet second half.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

It's been sporadic, but we're still at it!

Check out what you've missed these last few entries!
KD's music blog
KD's book
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

It's time for "It's Time!"

KD's music blog
KD's book
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Hey! Sorry I kinda dropped off the board. But I'm still around. Thanks for all the kind words on these blog posts.

KD and I did a few more songs since he last posted

Possession

Do You Know What I'm Saying?

Favourite Hour
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Here's another one. One we disagreed on!

There's a Story in Your Voice
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Brilliant writing about a glorious song, Jorge. Agree that the title track of The Delivery Man was sort of weak. And while I think back to when the album was released, I also never really understood all the fuss here at the time about Country Darkness... seemed to be all promise and no lasting substance.

Kevin: great writing too, but I much, much, much, prefer EC in 'Southern-rock troubadour' guise than in later NYC ghetto hipster guise with The Roots. The Delivery Man still definitely stands up as a **** album for me.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Hey guys.

Bumping this old thread to announce that our weekly blog was "picked up" by Trunkworthy, the very publication that originally inspired it.

We'll be posting some refurbished favorites from our blog for the next few weeks, while we build up a cache of fresh content.

Here's our first Trunkworthy post.

http://www.trunkworthy.com/its-time-to- ... -the-week/