Elvis solo, Aalborg (DK) May 20th 2016 - cancelled - New date: March 4th 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
VonOfterdingen

Re: Elvis solo, Aalborg (DK) May 20th 2016 - cancelled - New date: March 4th 2017

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Elvis took the stage in high spirits launching into Accidents will Happen followed by Poison Moon. I have a lousy setlist memory but the other songs this side of Alison included Church Underground, Viceroy's Row, New Amsterdam, Stella Hurt, Ascension Day, Oliver's Army and Shipbuilding followed by Still which he had to restart halfway through ("I will get this right even if it kills me"). The second time worked better but he continued to struggle even though he finished the song.

After that came a great Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and Face in the Crowd (a highlight for me) that got a big applause which EC seemed really happy about. There was also the noisy version of Watching the Detectives that I didn't enjoy very much but I had the same kind of issue with Viceroy's Row. Everyday I Write the Book was left out.

The second half of the concert was best including the usual suspects (but no surprises as I recall) and a nice version of She. The stories were great and the audience was quiet and attentive until it all ended with a standing ovation. Musically it was the most uneven EC concert I've seen. It wasn't the usual display of power and craftsmanship. Maybe it was just me hoping for more straight rock versions (45 might be the only example) though I really like everything from Face in the Crowd. There were just one encore (though with more songs) and the concert was properly shorter than the Swedish ones. Maybe on par with the Norwegian shows but no matter what the 2 hours and 15 minutes flew by.

Tomorrow it's EC in Copenhagen :)
Last edited by VonOfterdingen on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
VonOfterdingen

Re: Elvis solo, Aalborg (DK) May 20th 2016 - cancelled - New date: March 4th 2017

Post by VonOfterdingen »

And there is a real setlist. Here's hoping for some playing inside the television in Copenhagen.
krm wrote:Setlist:
Accidents will happen
Poison moon
New Amsterdam
Church Underground
Stella Hurt
Ascension day
Viceroys Row
Olivers Army
Shipbuilding
Deep Dark truthful mirror
Still – interrupted after 1m30s
Still
Face in the Crowd
They call me Mrs Lonesome
Walking my baby back home
Ghost Train
Beyond Belief
Watching the detectives
Alison
- If I had a hammer, Ross McManus -
Blood and Hot Sauce
No Mans Woman
Jimmie standing in the rain
Vitajex
She
Peace Love and Understanding
- - -

no songs played inside the TV tonight!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis's struggling with Still , like in Oslo , is , of course , a sigh of his fallibility and brings a certain humanity to the show. All the same , considering the high standards Elvis has maintained over the years it's a bit disconcerting to see him being less driven than usual.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I agree completely. I don't know what it is, but maybe I see things differently tomorrow evening.