Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I've just looked at the tour section of Elvis's website, and there appears to be nothing in his diary beyond November 10th. Nada! How long is it since we've seen a situation like that?

Something's gotta be brewing. Obviously the Painted from Memory musical is in development - but as with many musicals, will it actually make it to the stage? Apart from that, I don't know of any projects - do you? Surely an album is imminent. Roll on 2016!
Mikeh

Re: 2016...

Post by Mikeh »

He will have give his left hand a rest from all the book signing
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

And no doubt wait to see what the book sales look like after Christmas...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm not sure he will release an album unless it's a collaboration although I need to see The Imposters again. However he did say that if people want him to release an acoustic album then maybe he would do it...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

of course we want an ACOUSTIC lp. we never really got one of those before! and an IMPOSTERS rocker would be MOST welcome. as well as any collaboration he wants. WE WILL TAKE WHATEVER WE CAN GET WHENEVER....AND MORE SHOWS TOO AS ALWAYS!!
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:of course we want an ACOUSTIC lp. we never really got one of those before! and an IMPOSTERS rocker would be MOST welcome. as well as any collaboration he wants. WE WILL TAKE WHATEVER WE CAN GET WHENEVER....AND MORE SHOWS TOO AS ALWAYS!!
excellent summary ba!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

What will 2016 bring us?

What we know so far and almost for certain:

Paul McCartney will release the "Flowers In The Dirt Archive Collection": http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10607
Hopefully we get all the McCartney/MacManus demos and all of the studio recordings they did together in 1988 (see the "My Brave Face" session clip). Uptill now we haven't heard "I Don't Want To Confess" and Clare Fisher's version of 'Lovers That Never Were". As for video content, the "Put It There" video will hopefully contain an extended feature on the collaboration with Elvis.

The New Basement Tapes will release a second album.http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10175
Expectations are that it will contain at least 5 BD/EC collaborations. There is also a concert film being edited from the New Basement Tapes' concert in Montalban. Hopefully this will also get a 2016 release.

There is an October 2015 cinema release announced of "Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall": http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10637
I expect to see a DVD / Blue ray / Cd release in 2016.

What is possible:

"Painted From Memory - The Musical" will hopefully premiere in 2016. A cast recording of all the songs will be very welcome.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I'd be happy with any original album of any kind and a tour of any kind that stops in NYC area! Oh, and the PFM musical, since I live among the Broadway theaters!!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I have everything crossed that PFM will make it to the stage. The interviews seem to suggest that only 4 or so of the album songs will make it into the show. I'm guessing they'll be God Give Me Strength, Painted from Memory (of course!), House Is Empty, Still Have That Girl and maybe Toledo.

And yes, a new album of any kind would be uuur-mazing!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I'll take anything. Elvis is due. I'd rather it not be a collaboration but I'll take something over nothing.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm glad that even with no new "Elvis Costello albums" on the horizon (although lord knows one could always pop up, Momofuku-style, or maybe even quicker if someone can convince him to suddenly drop an album online, Beyonce-style), we still have so much Costello to look forward to. A bunch more Costello/Dylan & Costello/Bacharach songs, at least.

If I could make ONE wish for anything, it would be that McCartney would re-start their partnership and make a full album with EC. We know that Costello would want to do it, he's hinted as much by releasing the bonus chapter where he re-tells the story of McCartney writing down the lists of things they should do together (1. "Listen to demos." 2. "Edit and add to demos." 3. "Write more songs." 4. "Record more songs." 5. "Release those songs.")

I feel like this one is almost entirely down to McCartney, unfortunately. But maybe the attention Costello is getting for UM&DI will spark the impulse in Paul to get back to working with EC. And MAN, would it ever be nice to see the two of them embark on even a tiny promo tour together, just two guys and their acoustic guitars. That would be a hard ticket to get, but even if they just filmed a TV special together, it'd be amazing.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:And MAN, would it ever be nice to see the two of them embark on even a tiny promo tour together, just two guys and their acoustic guitars. That would be a hard ticket to get, but even if they just filmed a TV special together, it'd be amazing.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

cwr wrote: If I could make ONE wish for anything, it would be that McCartney would re-start their partnership and make a full album with EC.... I feel like this one is almost entirely down to McCartney, unfortunately.
Yeah, this would be amazing! But I have to say, in the recent(ish) Costello TV documentary, Mystery Dance, Macca seemed very cagey when talking about Elvis, seeming to suggest it was his management's idea, and saying 'the lyrics were good', as though the melodies weren't!! He wasn't speaking with a great deal of enthusiasm. Maybe I'm being too defensive on Elvis's part!

I really do think they should get together, though, for a simple acoustic album, and an acoustic tour. Brilliant idea!
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Rather a strange idea, but this topic sort of suggests it (at least to me):

Totally unfounded and entirely a 'gut feeling', but seeing EC in recent pictures and videos, I get the impression that he is not well --- either physically or mentally. H'e sort of not fully 'with' the situation, a vague absent mindedness, a grim streak around his mouth. He almost seems a bit lost.

Just wondering whether anyone else has thought the same - and I'll be very happy to be contradicted! It's more a worry than a statement on my behalf. Also, I haven't seen him live or in concert recently, so those occasions may totally contradict me.

Help me out here, please ;)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

In reply to Ymaginatif's concerns...

Well, let's not forget that our Elv is in his 60s now - hair going grey is just part of that. And he has been trying to keep the weight off for a few years now, so he is thinner-cheeked than he has been for decades. Could that be why you think he might not be well?

In terms of mental health, is anyone ever really totally relaxed and happy?! Elvis has always seemed on edge, it's not a recent phenomenon. He's always stalking restlessly around the stage, and often has folded arms in interviews, or dark glasses on indoors. He has lots of reasons to look cagey in interviews - will they bring up Bruce? Will they bring up Columbus for the zllionth time? Or Cait? I think he's always on guard. Public life can't be easy!
verbal gymnastics

I'd agree with Ymaginatif if we were talking about 2014 - I think Elvis was not in a very good place.

However 2015's UK tour was great. He was very relaxed and friendly on the 3 times I spoke to him after shows. The shows themselves were good, he played a great range of songs and seemed to enjoy himself.

From seeing some of the book promo tour, he seems OK but I guess there is always an obscure or difficult question just waiting...
erey

Post by erey »

Well, this is just weird.

People on other fora have been commenting on how good he looks these days and how unflappable he has been on the book tour stops, some of which have hit a few snags. Example: The interviewer at the NYPL appearance was pretty much a disaster (in a benign sort of way), but EC took control of the situation and made it work anyway.

Maybe he only looks bad from the other side of the Atlantic.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

That's funny, when I was standing about 2 feet from him at the book signing I remember thinking how good he looked. He's actually a pretty handsome and stylish dude.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Neil. wrote:
cwr wrote: If I could make ONE wish for anything, it would be that McCartney would re-start their partnership and make a full album with EC.... I feel like this one is almost entirely down to McCartney, unfortunately.
Yeah, this would be amazing! But I have to say, in the recent(ish) Costello TV documentary, Mystery Dance, Macca seemed very cagey when talking about Elvis, seeming to suggest it was his management's idea, and saying 'the lyrics were good', as though the melodies weren't!! He wasn't speaking with a great deal of enthusiasm. Maybe I'm being too defensive on Elvis's part!

I really do think they should get together, though, for a simple acoustic album, and an acoustic tour. Brilliant idea!
I think Paul feels threatened by EC's genius and doesn't want to be upstaged! Especially since Flowers in the Dirt was one of his best, most critically acclaimed solo albums.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

stricttime81 wrote:That's funny, when I was standing about 2 feet from him at the book signing I remember thinking how good he looked. He's actually a pretty handsome and stylish dude.

Thanks for your responses - it's good to be contradicted on this! :wink:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I don't trust information from a single source, but on the other hand....

The Ticket Factory are advertising tickets for Elvis at the London Palladium from 3- 7 May 2016. There is allegedly a pre-sale from 29 October, but no details of a pre-sale for who or how. You can read this if you scroll down this page.

Theticketfactory.com

Anyone have any more details (e.g, solo show or with The Imposters?). Ticket prices are steep at £55.98, which is more than he was charging for Detour. He has not played The Palladium since the "Month of Sundays" shows with Nick Lowe in 1989.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics

I only found the 3-7 May bit by way of a Google search.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just another reassurance for Ymaginatif - I shook hands with Elvis at a book signing last night and he looked and seemed in rude health!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Agreed - a very firm, steady handshake!