Detour - screen showing in New Hampshire, July 23 '16

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Detour Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Detour - Film showings in the US, January 14th 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.showclix.com/event/Event40873364051

The Hollywood Theater in Dormont

We have some cool Elvis Costello schwag to give away this week at our screenings of ELVIS COSTELLO - DETOUR LIVE AT LIVERPOOL PHILHARMONIC HALL!

Thursday, Jan. 14 at 8:00pm:
https://www.showclix.com/event/Event40873364051

Friday, Jan. 15 at 10:00pm:
https://www.showclix.com/event/Event41077424473

Saturday, Jan. 16 at 9:30pm :
https://www.showclix.com/event/Event41077434544

Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 7:30pm:
https://www.showclix.com/event/elvis-costello-detour
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.secretsofthecity.com/events/ ... monic-hall

Sound Unseen presents Elvis Costello: Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

The 7 PM screening of the Minnesnowta premiere of Elvis Costello: Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall sold out so fast that Sound Unseen added another later show! You now have a chance to catch Costello’s biographical live performance that’s set in a ’60s living room, which includes Costello’s more well known songs plus some very deep cuts, as well as never-before-seen personal photos. It’s a not only a must-see for Costello fans, but just an all around great concert film. 9:15 PM. $10. —Sandrah Mullen

Trylon Microcinema, 3258 Minnehaha Ave, MPLS; take-up.org
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/richnathanson/statu ... 0880053248

Rich Nathanson @richnathanson

The @ElvisCostello #Detour movie with @LarkinPoe was so good, it felt just like being at a live concert, but w/o assholes around me yapping.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any reports ?
woz

Post by woz »

I saw the film last night in Beverly Hills (thanks Laemmle Theaters) and loved it. Maybe 20-25 people in a 450 seat theater Lot's of familiar stories but also some great versions of a number of songs. Can't wait for it on dvd/blu ray.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The film is showing in Dallas on Thursday -

http://www.thetexastheatre.com/movies-e ... monic-hall
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lincolntheatre.org/node/1124

Elvis Costello Detour

Saturday, Jan 30, 7:30 pm

Lincoln Theater, Mount Vernon, WA
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Detour film is showing in LA on Feb. 12th

http://www.crestwestwood.com/events/201 ... ign=buffer

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/02/e ... onic-hall/

Elvis Costello: Detour – Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall DVD

Sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe join for most of the second half which improves things considerably.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Phase three of Elvis Costello’s trilogy reviewing his life and career follows a biography (Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink) and the similarly titled double disc overview of his forty year catalog. This stripped down, partly solo gig caught in Liverpool — one of his childhood homes — is a two hour concert recorded on the titular tour.

Costello’s in a talkative, generally jocular mood, telling occasionally awkward stories of his life and music, playing guitar along with some piano, and cherry picking hits and misses — old, new with a few covers — from his bulging, impressively deep and diverse catalog. He initially performs in front of an oversized TV screen that floats lyrics, quotes and pictures occasionally reflecting the songs. Later he moves inside that TV, which functions as a stage, to close the show.

While there is no doubt of his dedication to the solo concept, some of this works better than the rest. Although he was the lone guitarist in his Attractions (later Imposters) band, Costello’s playing has a rudimentary, boxy sound that doesn’t do many of the songs during the performance’s first half justice. He also has a tendency to sing slightly behind the beat, a mannerism that is far more obvious, and annoying, when his is the only accompaniment. It’s encouraging to hear him dig deep and extricate lesser known gems such as “Watch Your Step” (from the Trust album), but the song doesn’t connect without Steve Nieve’s playful keyboards and Pete Thomas’ crisp drums. Slower ballads such as “Shipbuilding” and “When I Was Cruel No. 2” fare better. Yet a noisy version of “Watching the Detectives” where he creates live onstage overdubs is messy and overlong. Costello aficionados will appreciate the relatively rare “Ghost Train” getting an airing.

Sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe join for most of the second half which improves things considerably. They add much needed musical variety with lap steel guitar and mandolin that provides a fuller, livelier sound, especially on the already frisky “Pads, Paws, and Claws.” Costello also pulls out a few nuggets from his 2014 Bob Dylan/Lost on the River Basement Tapes project after running down “Peace, Love and Understanding” on this 26-track gig.

Costello fans will eat it up, but there is little doubt many of these songs sound better and more exciting with a full band. That makes this an interesting but far from essential addition to his extensive resume, although it’s a must for those who have followed Costello’s musical peaks and valleys since 1977. But it’s far from the first choice you would point Costello neophytes to, for them to enjoy or understand his fascinating, often inspiring and eclectic career arc.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.popmatters.com/review/elvis- ... g-larkin-/

Elvis Costello's 'Detour - Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall Featuring Larkin Poe'

Elvis Goes Liverpool With Storyteller Set

It may seem hard to believe, but Elvis Costello is often at his best when performing his powerhouse songs in the most stripped down setting possible. He’s proven this before and in spades when, in 1996, he issued a box set featuring himself and comrade Steve Nieve performing “You Bowed Down” and others across five EPs recorded in as many cities. He returns to the same approach for this film, taking to stage with piano and acoustic guitar and running down familiar hits like “(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes”, “Watching The Detectives” and “Alison” and the less well-known “Pads, Paws and Claws”, and “Jimmie Standing In The Rain”.

The detours often happen between the songs as he tells us stories about his life, family and career, but they also happen in the form of the set, which winds this way and that, touching on some of the biggest hits but also ignoring others. Hey, it’s Elvis, and he’s never been one to do what he doesn’t, right? In fact, it’s those hits that are present which don’t always hold up. His rendering of “Accidents Will Happen” doesn’t hold up quite the same as “’45” or “When I Was Cruel No.2”. That’s okay; at this point, most of us come for the deep cuts, anyway.

It’s good that “A Good Year for the Roses”, “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” and “Ghost Train” are wheeled out, as they sound particularly fresh and vital right beside the almighty “Shipbuilding” and “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down”. Costello has, of course, aged better than some of his contemporaries and in ways that have nothing to do with his looks. Rather, he writes songs that hold the energy of their times but are weighted with themes and dreams that place them clearly on the side of the timeless, songs that can be written about somewhere in the wilds of England or the heart of Kansas.

What’s also remarkable is how well he carries it all off. If some of his peers occasionally roll their eyes at the thought of a storyteller show such as this, Costello doesn’t give off any hint that it’s beneath him, mostly because it’s not. This is this sort of thing that he does best: weaving humor and tragedy together with entertainment while performing songs that seem to mean as much to him as they do to the audience.

Although joined by Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe on several tracks, including “Blame It On Cain”, “Brilliant Mistake” and “Love Field”, Costello is never lonely and never in need of a full band on this outing. And, hey, even though one might at first be suspect of “If I Had A Hammer”, it’s better than you might believe. An audio-only version of this seems a must, though, and one of this disappointments of this DVD release is that it doesn’t feature a bonus disc of the music. No doubt something of that nature will roll out in the near future.

Rating: 8 out of 10
cwr

Post by cwr »

The DETOUR dvd/blu-ray DOES feel like "Phase Three" of a Costello retrospective, although I would count UM&DI the book and CD as "Phase Two" and the documentary "Mystery Dance" as phase one. It's kind of amazing that there hasn't been a physical release of that documentary, as it does seem like a warm-up for the completed memoir; EC is clearly in the midst of sorting through those memories while he's musing on camera in that doc.

All 4 of these things to seem to make up a satisfying package, a really substantial taking stock of things and looking back thoughtfully at his life.

Since 2015 was a busy year for Elvis but one without any really significant new EC music on offer, it'll be interesting to see what comes next.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/70411/el ... onic-hall/

Elvis Costello: Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall (Blu-ray)

The Movie:

Recorded last summer during Elvis Costello's most recent solo tour, Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall finds the new wave rocker turned genre-hopping eclecticist returning to his hometown while in a reflective mood. Surely, the completion of his recent memoir, Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink, is partly the cause. When Costello's not making dad jokes in his between-song banter -- he kicks off the show by saying, "You can go home now. You've heard all the hits." (wocka wocka) -- he chats about what it was like growing up as the son and grandson of working musicians. On a mock old-time television that sits behind him onstage as he performs, Costello frequently flashes family photos: his "Mam" listening to records, or his father in questionable hippie gear, or his grandfather as a boy, clutching a horn.

In addition to the TV, Costello shares the stage with a half-dozen acoustic and electric guitars and a piano; he dutifully switches between almost all of them during the nearly two-hour program. During the second half, he also shares the stage with the lovely and lively ladies of Larkin Poe (sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell), who provide harmonies, mandolin, and some kickass lap steel that would surely make John McFee proud.

The setlist is the expected grab bag of beloved staples ("Alison"; "Peace, Love and Understanding"), shoulda-been hits ("45"), B-sides ("Ghost Train"; his unused take on the Bob Dylan lyric "Down on the Bottom" from the New Basement Tapes sessions), and covers (a minor-key take on the sunny standard "Side by Side," with a bit of Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man" mixed into it). The song selections offer a strong survey of Costello's nearly forty-year-long career, although unsurprisingly the two albums most heavily featured are our man's acclaimed 1977 debut, My Aim Is True, and his most recent album of all-original material, the rootsy National Ransom.

Even with the giant TV set, Detour is a pretty intimate affair. Costello's stripped-down performances are direct and emotional. His throat seems to be a little sore, as his voice occasionally catches and croaks, but he is able to sporadically unleash an array of clear, soaring high notes nonetheless. His voice sounds particularly good during a stirring piano rendition of "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down," which returns the song to its roots as a gospel-inflected slow jam for Sam & Dave.

When the Lovell sisters appear for their guest spots, they bring the energy level up considerably. Whether adding twangy, raucous accompaniment to "Blame It On Cain" or floating harmonies to "Good Year for the Roses," they utterly enrich the performances -- and even make Elvis a little better too. When the program had ended, I realized that the critical voices that usually yammer in my head when I'm watching something for review had shut up for that last long Larkin Poe-laden stretch of the show, and I had sunk into engrossed, blissful couch-potato mode.

Detour agreeably finds Elvis Costello looking back with far less anger than the old days. Fans might grumble over certain exclusions (No songs from Mighty Like a Rose? Come on!), but only the most hard-hearted fan won't find this performance quite enjoyable.

The Blu-ray

The Video:
No complaints with the AVC-encoded 1080i 1.90:1 video, as colors are vivid and rich, detail reproduction is solid, and black levels are deep with no perceptible crushing.

The Audio:
The disc comes with two clear and satisfying audio options, a DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix and an LPCM 2.0 stereo option (the disc defaults to the latter). Since the majority of the show is just Costello alone, accompanied by either guitar or piano, the distinction between the two mixes is not drastic. However, when the Lovells show up, they get a little too buried in the mix in the stereo version for my taste. I rewatched part of this on my roommate's TV, and even with standard TV speakers, the back-up singing lays better in the mix with the surround option.

Special Features:
Bonus Songs (HD, 16:15) - Four songs cut from the main presentation: "Love Field" (with Larkin Poe), "Either Side of the Same Town," "Brilliant Mistake" (with Larkin Poe), and "Ascension Day." None of them are particularly weaker than what made the cut, but Costello concerts tend to be 2 1/2- to 3-hour-long affairs, so the trims make sense for the overall pacing of the video. (According to the set list for this show posted online, 6 additional songs didn't even make it to these bonus features.)

Final Thoughts:
While his sore throat makes this a less-than-definitive concert document, Elvis Costello is at his usual thoughtful and soulful best during Detour. The setlist is eclectic and surprising, and the energetic guest appearances by the Lovell sisters from Larkin Poe keep things from getting too low-key. Highly Recommended.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blindedbysound.com/reviews/blu-r ... onic-hall/

Blu-ray Review: Elvis Costello - Detour: Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Elvis Costello shines in this solo performance with a little help from Larkin Poe.

In 2015, celebrated singer-songwriter Elvis Costello was given the honor of "The most prodigious writer of fine songs in British history" from UK newspaper The Independent. High praise to be sure, but his record speaks for itself. His solo tour from that year, appropriately titled "Detour," featured Costello on guitar and piano, often telling the stories behind the songs, not unlike on Storytellers. The combination worked, making for an evening of great music and conversation. A show was filmed at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall and makes up the excellent new Blu-ray Detour: Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.

Costello does his best Pete Townshend, power strumming his acoustic guitar and giving a passionate vocal on set opener "Red Shoes." The stage features a giant vintage TV, which includes images and words throughout the show to accompany the songs. The solo acoustic format works well on a haunting "Watch Your Step." Costello uses space well here and throughout the show, letting his voice drive the song.

A spirited "Accidents Will Happen" follows, with a call and response from the audience at the end. Costello tells a humorous story about writing the song in a taxi while en route to Mexico. Costello's stories are quite often as entertaining as the songs themselves, though he is careful not to get too longwinded. He switches to electric guitar for "Church Underground," a track about a person looking for fame only to find infamy. The song is finger picked and makes excellent use of its ringing chords. "When I Was Cruel No. 2" takes on a solo bluesy feel here while Costello's guitar on "Watching The Detectives" is drenched in reverb and delay. This trick allows him to play lead over his own rhythm parts, making for a dramatic effect.

Rebecca and Megan Lovell from Larkin Poe join Costello for a number of songs on guitar, mandolin and vocals, including "Pads, Paws and Claws." Megan Lovell adds some killer slide guitar to this number, giving it a heavy blues feel. Costello performs inside the TV for a heartfelt "Allison," looking like he was straight out of a vintage television appearance.

The Lovells join Costello for the spirited set closer "Peace Love and Understanding." The trio is clearly having fun onstage and gets a good laugh as Costello breaks a string mid song. The performance ends the show on an upbeat note.

The video is filmed in 1080i High Definition Widescreen 16x9 (1.78:1) and looks great. The show is very well filmed and thankfully doesn't feature the rapid-fire editing that so many modern concert videos have. Audio options include LPCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio. A number of live performances, with and without Larkin Poe, are included as bonus tracks.

For a gifted songwriter such as Costello, the solo format works well, allowing the words and vocals to shine throughout. Detour showcases an artist who has lost nothing to the passage of time and the guest appearances from Larkin Poe enhance the performances. Well worth a look.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Belatedly got to watch this DVD over Easter (waiting for Wife who is a casual fan to make herself available). It may have a been said previously but his voice seemed "shot" to me, particularly early on in the proceedings. However that and the overall performance improved in the latter stages assisted without question by Larkin Poe.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
Man out of Time

Re: Detour - Film review in German

Post by Man out of Time »

DVD Review in German by John Fasnaugh from Mittelbayerische Zeitung, a German regional newspaper, which also mentions the upcoming EC/LP concert in Hamburg. The review was published on 3 March 2016:

"Elvis Costello (mit Larkin Poe): Elvis Costello - Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
Feiner Mief
von John Fasnaugh

Elvis Costello, bürgerlich Declan Patrick MacManus, hat im Lauf seiner Karriere viel ausprobiert, sich musikalisch immer wieder neu erfunden. Ein Futurist oder Innovator aber war er nie. Wenn auch oft nah dran am Zeitgeist, hatte er schon immer eine Schwäche für den Charme des Gestrigen. Dazu passt auch der jüngste Konzertfilm des inzwischen 61-jährigen Briten: "Elvis Costello - Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall" (2015) umweht vom ersten bis zum letzten Song ein angenehmer, heimeliger Mief.

Es geht schon beim Bühnenbild los: Lampenschirme aus den 60-ern, Instrumente mit unübersehbaren Gebrauchsspuren, im Hintergrund die überdimensionierte Nachbildung eines Uralt-Fernsehers mit Drehknopf, auf dem Schwarzweiß-Bilder von Costellos Mutter, Vater, Großvater durchrotieren. Zu jedem Bild und jedem Song hat der Rock-Gentleman mit der für ihn typischen dickumrahmten Brille eine kleine Anekdote auf Lager.

Tatsächlich verbringt Costello gefühlt ein Drittel der Show mit Reden. Was aber gar nicht stört. "Ich setzte mich nicht hin, weil ich müde bin", erklärt er sich zwischendurch, "sondern weil ich euch in die Augen schauen will". Elvis Costello macht die altehrwürdige Liverpool Philharmonic Hall zu seinem Wohnzimmer, begnügt sich mit Klavier und ein paar Gitarren und erzeugt dabei eine Intimität, die über den Saal hinaus auch im Heimkino ankommt.

Etwa eine Stunde lang bestreitet er den Abend allein, singt seine Geschichten vom Am-Boden-Liegen, von verflossenen Lieben und den Kämpfen des kleinen Mannes. Klassiker wie "Alison", "Red Shoes" oder "Shipbuilding", dazwischen ein paar weniger bekannte Perlen - über die Setlist wird sich kein Fan beschweren. Auch darüber nicht, dass Costello zwischendurch die hübschen Lovell-Zwillinge Rebecca und Megan von der Band Larkin Poe auf die Bühne holt und mitspielen lässt. So bringt er dann auch noch etwas Frische in einen gemütlichen, geschmackvollen Konzertabend. Gerade steht für Elvis Costello im Übrigen wieder eine neue Tour an - auch ein Zwischenstopp in Hamburg (21. Mai, Laeiszhalle) ist eingeplant.

Erhältlich auf DVD und Blu-ray Disc."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Elvis Costello (with Larkin Poe): Elvis Costello - Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
Feiner fug
John Fasnaugh

Elvis Costello, civil Declan Patrick MacManus has tried throughout his career much invented musically again and again. A Futurist or innovator but he was never. Although often close and the zeitgeist, he has always had a weakness for the charm of yesterday. This also fits the youngest concert film of the now 61-year-old Brit: "Elvis Costello - Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall" (2015) wafts from the first to the last song, a pleasant, homely fug.

It's already at Stage los: lampshades from the 60s, instruments, with obvious signs of wear, in the background the over-sized replica of a very old television with knob durchrotieren on the black and white images of Costello's mother, father, grandfather. For every image and every song of rock gentleman with his typical dickumrahmten Glasses has a little anecdote in stock.

Indeed spends Costello felt a third of the show with speeches. But what does not bother. "I did not sit down because I'm tired," he explained in between, "but because I want you to look into the eyes". Elvis Costello makes the venerable Liverpool Philharmonic Hall to his room, content with piano and a couple of guitars, creating an intimacy that comes across the hall, but competition in home theater.

For about an hour he denies the evening alone, sings his stories from on-ground beds, of bygone loves and struggles of the common man. Classics like "Alison", "Red Shoes" or "Shipbuilding", in between a few lesser-known gems - on the set list no fan will complain. Also it is not that Costello between the pretty Lovell twins Rebecca and Megan from the band Larkin Poe brings to the stage and can play. He brings then also some freshness in a cozy, tasteful evening concert. Just stands for Elvis Costello, moreover, again a new track - also a stopover in Hamburg (May 21 Laeiszhalle) is scheduled.

Available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. "

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/201 ... um=twitter

The Hopkins Center for the Arts will present “Elvis Costello in HD: Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall” as part of its On the Big Screen series at 8 p.m. Saturday, July 23, in the Spaulding Auditorium, 4 E. Wheelock St., Dartmouth College , New Hampshire.
Man out of Time

Re: Detour - DVD Review in Acoustic Guitar magazine

Post by Man out of Time »

Review of the DVD release by Blair Jackson in the April issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine:

"Stripped-Down Elvis on DVD

Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall' is full of vivid songs and stories

Acoustic Elvis. What's not to like? On the heels of Elvis Costello's brilliant autobiography, Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink (Blue Rider Press), comes this nearly two-hour DVD of Costello performing a slew of solo songs on a variety of Gibson flattop acoustics (a J-160E and J-50, among others), two Gibson Super 400 archtops, and grand piano. On about a third of the tunes, he's backed by Larkin Poe- Atlanta sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell on mandolin and David Lindley-esque electric lap steel, respectively, plus heavenly vocal harmonies. It's an intimate affair, with Costello spinning tales (most from the book) about everything from the origin of some of his songs to the influence of his musician/ bandleader father, Ross MacManus. Costello even "duets" briefly with his dad via a cool, campy, '60s-era video of MacManus singing "If I Had a Hammer."

This is no mere recitation of "hits." Rather, this concert bounces around Costello's entire career, from 1977's My Aim Is True to 2010's National Ransom, ignoring most of his albums (he has been scarily prolific) and including a number of more obscure tunes, all of which he delivers in his inimitable style with a conviction that allows them to sit comfortably next to some of his best-known songs. My favorites include "When I Was Cruel," the slowed-down gospel take on Sam & Dave's "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down," the Band-like "Blame It on Cain," and everything featuring Larkin Poe, but especially "A Good Year for the Roses" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding." "

MOOT