Detour - screen showing in New Hampshire, July 23 '16

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Detour Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall: cinema release, Oct. 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Two screens in Dublin have it - Dundrum has 9 seats booked & Swords has 4. I'm deferring University Challenge for it , a huge sacrifice.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

6 attendees in Liverpool - great film - next best thing to being there. Only real crib was having to suffer Stievie G La's visage again whilst That's not the Part of Him was playing.

Will leave VG to mark the dancecard.

Colin Top Balcony
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Five in the audience at West India Quay tonight, the only London showing. The songs that feature in the film are:

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Watch Your Step
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Church Underground
05. 45
06. Shipbuilding
07. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
08. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
09. Ghost Train
10.When I Was Cruel No. 2
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
13. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
14. Down On The Bottom (Elvis Costello version)- with Larkin Poe
15. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
16. Alison
17. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe
18. Side By Side
19. Jimmie Standing In The Rain- including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
Credits
21. Golden Tom - Silver Judas - with Larkin Poe
22. Interview with EC - caption says October 2015, but appears to have been filmed onstage at the Philharmonic Hall in June.

Running length circa 112 minutes. It ends somewhat abruptly.

The performance of Golden Tom - Silver Judas appears to have been recorded at a soundcheck. There is a film credit saying that the film was recorded at the Philharmonic Hall and Plymouth Pavilions. Therefore it may be this track is from a soundcheck prior to the Plymouth show on June 24, although it was not performed in front of the audience that night. It was played in Manchester on June 10th.

The setlist is odd in that it omits some "favourites" such as "Oliver's Army", "Pump It Up", "Everyday I Write The Book" and "She", yet includes more obscure songs like "Church Underground" and "Down On the Bottom".

The marketing and publicity for the Cinema release has been non-existent, leading to the very small turnout we have seen across the country. It may sell some copies on DVD, but anyone looking for the "hits" on this release will be disappointed.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Down On The Bottom was dedicated to 'Phil' , who is , I'm told, Philip Hayes of the New Picket venue. When I was in Liverpool for Steve's show I was told that Phil is in the wars at the moment , legal troubles etc.

There were some post film sequences, filmed in Oct. '15, of Elvis sitting on what looked like the Philharmonic stage. He has a acoustic guitar on his lap , with a piano behind him. He doesn't sing , just talks about various memories, adding nothing new to ones that are starting to have a numbing affect now that some of us are hearing them so many times lately. There is a new to me comment about a 'unexpected encounter' with a song , in that sometimes Elvis finds that a new aspect of a much performed song occurs to him unexpectedly as he's singing it.

A derelict theatre sequence is used at one point, following on from a comment about the Futurist Theatre in Birkenhead, a place Elvis had been reminded his grandfather played. At the start of Jimmie Standing In The Rain there is a roughly 30 second cut away to a series of images of Elvis in a rubble strewn , clearly derelict theatre interior. He's wearing the black coat with lime green lining that he wore in the CBS report filmed in October so I daresay this footage dates from then also. The film started with a brief title sequence of views of Liverpool , the docks , the observatory in Birkenhead etc.

There were nine at my showing, two of which arrived about five songs in.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It seems odd that the whole show was not shown. I wonder if there were any technical hitches with the filming or if the omitted songs will magically reappear in time for the DVD release.

Did each of you know any of the other people in the audience? We had more or less the same number of forum people at our meet up in the Festival Hall than in the 3 cinemas combined!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I hope they decide to screen this in NYC, where I'd predict at least a slightly better turnout than is being reported at these screenings!
GCM

Post by GCM »

There were, I think, 9 people in the Glasgow audience last night, although one lady left after about half an hour.
I thought it was pretty good and a decent representation of the show. However, I thought Elvis's voice took a long time to get going.
Although I have a ticket for one of the Palladium shows in June, I would love to see an Imposters show at a standing venue.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Count Basie Theatre, 99 Monmouth Street in Red Bank, NJ., will present an exclusive area screening of Elvis Costello’s concert film Detour: Live At the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on Thursday, January 14th at 7pm.

http://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/ ... hp?ID=6360
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

johnfoyle wrote:The Count Basie Theatre, 99 Monmouth Street in Red Bank, NJ., will present an exclusive area screening of Elvis Costello’s concert film Detour: Live At the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on Thursday, January 14th at 7pm.

http://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/ ... hp?ID=6360
http://www.countbasietheater.org/calend ... d=43250298
sweetest punch

Re: Detour Live At Liverpool Philharmonic Hall: New Jersey, January 2016

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.soundunseen.com/upcoming-eve ... monic-hall

Sound Unseen is proud to present the MN Premiere and special sneak preview of "ELVIS COSTELLO: DETOUR LIVE AT LIVERPOOL PHILHARMONIC HALL" by director Jess Crowley.

Tickets: $10
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
7:00pm 9:00pm
Trylon microcinema
3258 Minnehaha Avenue Minneapolis, MN, 55406 United States
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://gatewayfilmcenter.org/elvis-cost ... onic-hall/

ELVIS COSTELLO: DETOUR LIVE AT LIVERPOOL PHILHARMONIC HALL

Documentary | NR | 1hr 45min

Opening at GFC: 01/14/2016

Columbus, Ohio 43201
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.proctors.org/events/elvis-co ... monic-hall

Elvis Costello - Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Thursday, January 14, 2016, 7:00 pm

Proctors, 432 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://rosetheatre.com/film/elvis-costello-detour-live

Rose Theatre or Rosebud Theatre Playing in the Rose Theatre or Rosebud Cinema
Wed, 1/27 7:30

Rose Theatre, 235 Taylor Street, Port Townsend, WA 98368
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Blu-ray version is coming out on Feb 12, 2016: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Elvis-Cos ... ay/147158/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This link will give this forum a referral fee -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019OW ... 1_4&sr=8-4
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This site has the tracklisting for the DVD/Blu-ray: http://www.universalmusic.it/pop/artist ... 1690211188 .
There are bonus videos!!

1 Intro (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
00:48 Elvis Costello
2 Red Shoes (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:47 Elvis Costello
3 Watch Your Step (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:06 Elvis Costello
4 Accidents Will Happen (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:57 Elvis Costello
5 Church Underground (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
04:47 Elvis Costello
6 ´45 (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:25 Elvis Costello
7 Shipbuilding (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
05:26 Elvis Costello
8 I Can´t Stand Up For Falling Down (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:44 Elvis Costello
9 Walkin´ My Baby Back Home (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:26 Elvis Costello
10 Ghost Train (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:02 Elvis Costello
11 When I Was Cruel No.2 (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
05:25 Elvis Costello
12 Watching The Detectives (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
05:48 Elvis Costello
13 If I Had A Hammer (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
01:13 Elvis Costello
14 Pads, Paws, And Claws (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:39 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
15 That´s Not The Part Of Him You´re Leaving (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
04:10 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
16 Down On The Bottom (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:08 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
17 Blame It On Cain (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
04:11 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
18 Alison (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:21 Elvis Costello
19 A Good Year For The Roses (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
03:43 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
20 Side By Side (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:15 Elvis Costello
21 Jimmie Standing In The Rain (Live At The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
04:26 Elvis Costello
22 Peace Love And Understanding (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
06:28 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
23 Golden Tom - Silver Judas (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
02:44 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
1 Menu / Detour Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall (Live at The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015)
00:54 Elvis Costello
2 Love Field (Live At The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015 / Bonus Video)
04:12 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
3 Either Side Of The Same Town (Live At The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015 / Bonus Video)
04:03 Elvis Costello
4 Brilliant Mistake (Live At The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015 / Bonus Video)
03:42 Elvis Costello, Larkin Poe
5 Ascension Day (Live At The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool / 2015 / Bonus Video)
03:39 Elvis Costello
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I hope the clip of Ross from the 1960s is included as a stand alone extra. The clip I saw in the cinema last October was the sharpest, clearest version I've seen. Interestingly ( well , to me) it was shown full screen , so maybe it's a cropped version of the 'square' version that was the original presentation.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A showing of the Detour film in Los Angeles , January 14th '16

http://community-scene.com/los-angeles/ ... monic-hall
Man out of Time

sweetest punch wrote:This site has the tracklisting for the DVD/Blu-ray: http://www.universalmusic.it/pop/artist ... 1690211188 .
There are bonus videos!!
If this tracklisting is correct, it is interesting to see which songs performed in Liverpool have been omitted, and which relegated to Bonus Video status.

Those missing appear to be:

Hidee Hidee Ho
Oliver's Army
Pump It Up
She
When I Write The Book (including Every Day I Write The Book)
Who's The Meanest Gal In Town, Josephine

The song that is included, but which was not performed in Liverpool is Golden Tom, Silver Judas. This may have been a soundcheck performance (as suggested in my original review of the film). The song has only been played live four times, and only once in the UK (In Manchester on 10 June 2015). The film credits do list Plymouth Pavilions as a location, so possibly the soundcheck was from there.

It is interesting that Oliver's Army and Pump It Up are omitted. The former being EC's biggest hit and the latter a crowd pleaser. I guess there are enough versions of both songs available elsewhere and we should be grateful for more Larkin Poe and for rarities like "That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving" and ""When I Was Cruel No. 2".

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Could "Golden Tom - Silver Judas" be the 2014 version from Larkin Poe's YouTube channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpKoFSk3B4
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This link will direct you towards showings in the U.S. on January 14th

http://www.specticast.com/en/titles/elv ... llo-detour
blureu

Post by blureu »

Has there been any promotion for the U.S. showings next week? I haven't seen anything other than listings on the specific theater websites. Another wasted opportunity.

johnfoyle wrote:This link will direct you towards showings in the U.S. on January 14th

http://www.specticast.com/en/titles/elv ... llo-detour
Man out of Time

And No Coffee Table wrote:Could "Golden Tom - Silver Judas" be the 2014 version from Larkin Poe's YouTube channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpKoFSk3B4
Nice try, but not the performance we are looking for. In the version shown in cinemas, EC and LP perform this song on the "Detour" set, TV, piano and all, so it was filmed somewhere on the 2015 UK Detour, and if not in Manchester (on 10 June) then at a soundcheck or other time when there was no audience present.

Odd.

MOOT