Post by johnfoyle »

Top balcony

Re: Steve Nieve plays Elvis , Liverpool , Oct. 10th 2015

Post by Top balcony »

me too
John

Post by John »

Us two. It would be good to meet up again chaps.
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

........and me! :D
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm in with the in crowd !!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Steve's f/book page -

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm doing my vocal exercises everyday now - at least I wont be murdering Dark End Of Rhe Street :wink: :shock:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Box office told me today there was one ticket remaining for this...
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

My plan is to get to the Fly in the Loaf in my Brutal Youth t-shirt for about 6.30 if anyone wants to join me. Then off to queue about 7 as doors open @7.15 I understand.

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Seeya there!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've only noticed that the 'guests' have been named. It's in a video on Steve's f/book page & , this morning, this was posted on Elvis's page .

Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello with special guests Tall Ulysse & Alex Cornish.

http://www.tallofficial.com/about/

http://alexcornish.com/blog/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

See some of you soon!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Don't forget the setlist!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Fab show - more tomorrow when I recover
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I had a great night despite the confusing diversion signs as I drove into Liverpool! Great to see Top Balcony, John F, Sulky, Cocktail Murderess and Spirit of Curiosity again and some people who I met for the first time, sorry I did not catch yur names!

Steve was wonderful and great to hear not only EC's music but some of Steve's soolo work and some songs by his guests Alex Cornish and Tall Ulyss. A fine show, a lovely venue and very entertaining company.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I thought this was a great show too. Mr and Mrs John plus Nicola 76 were the names that escaped you Mike. Great to see so many Boarders. I was hoping that Steve would play Happy Birthday for Sulky - but he let me down badly...However as a memorable birthday treat Liverpool City Council de-toured Sulky past Goodison Park on his way to the gig :D :D :D

This was the first night for the Music Room and John F officially opened the venue as the first paying customer through the turnstile.

Sorry 'bout the setlist - I know he opened with Muriel on the Beach and Shipbuilding (twice) and ended on PLU, guess others will join the dots.

Apart from meeting up with the gang again, think PLU was the highlight for me, with Steve sneaking in a good chunk of "Imagine" mid song - including taking a turn at vocals - this may have been a city specific meander, but it was great.

Highly recommended.

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As always, great to see the Great Northern EC clan and find so many of us there. I think I might have bored MikeH to death with my rant on NHS Politics, sorry Mike but I hope you enjoyed the CDs. I gave Steve a compilation of the UK 2003 tour from my recordings and he wrote "Thanks for the bootlegs " on my ticket ! I thought he might be putting down his lawyers address. The concert was brilliant as always and I really love his playing on anything from the Lazy Point album so Muriel on Main Beach was a great opening track especially when he pretended he was going to play it a second time to fool the audience. He told a story about picking a piano for the recording of North and a visit to the Steinway factory in N. Y. As he tried each piano, on the night he played a little piece to demonstrate each piano starting with a classical piece that my father will kill me for not knowing ( :oops: ) and then did a snippet of Life On Mars before explaining that he couldn't chose between these beautiful instruments when Elvis burst in , played one note on each piano and picked the third one and immediately left. The Steinway employee then told Steve that the one Elvis picked was the very piano Diana Krall always had whenever she played in N.Y. !! Highlights are always hard to pick but the impromptu version of This House Is Empty Now had me close to tears for it's beauty ( the 1999 tour with it's stripped down version always knocked some of the overly ornate songs on PFM out cold) and the singing of Tall Ulysees was a revelation compared to Paris last year, his voice has matured so much and the performance of Country Darkness, and two great songs, Passionate Fight and You Lie Sweetly were brilliantly realised. Steve told before the latter that when he sent the music to Elvis for the song, that Elvis complained about only having 3 syllables to write per line ("it was late, almost 8") and Steve claimed he was the first person to
make Elvis write succinctly ( paraphrase here). I love watching and listening to Steve play especially on the piano and I'm mortified that my work requires me to work both day and night today and so I couldn't attend the St James Theatre last night and travel back to Plymouth and sleep this morning. I just wish there we're more dates to see him play. How about Tubingen in November, again Steve ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nothing to do with Steve and only remotely to do with Elvis in that this lot got , rather unfairly , described as 'Elvis & The Attractions light' back in the day , I'm going to see Any Trouble at this venue in Liverpool on Sunday , Dec. 6th. I'm going to be flying in to town that morning so if anyone is around for a chat at any point in the day that would be great.

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/17677/even ... ouble.html

While I may have your attention I'm going the next day to see another former Stiff artist , Wreckless Eric in , er, Leamington Spa at the Zephyr Lounge.

http://wrecklesseric.com/?page_id=45
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Clive Gregson is playing in Bradford the night before, and a converted wool mill where I once worked in the summer hols

http://blackdykemillsheritagevenue.org/whatson.html
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

[quote="johnfoyle"]Nothing to do with Steve and only remotely to do with Elvis in that this lot got , rather unfairly , described as 'Elvis & The Attractions light' back in the day , I'm going to see Any Trouble at this venue in Liverpool on Sunday , Dec. 6th. I'm going to be flying in to town that morning so if anyone is around for a chat at any point in the day that would be great.]

Maybe only a little unfair.. this song pretty much stole the "time's running out" and "there'll be no doubt" lyrics from This year's girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVm73yMAdg
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Actually, posting that jogged my memory that I saw Any Trouble on one of the Stiff tours, Belfast 1980ish. They were great.
krm

Post by krm »

I managed to see them at Dingwalls in the early eighties during a short holiday to London. Remember it as a great nightout.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I saw Any Trouble in Newscastle about a year ago. Clive Gregson , the group's main man , now lives in Austin , Texas. He and the 'Trouble line-up had just recorded a new album , which is coming out on Nov.27th , hence the tour

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5210

One of the new songs -

Any Trouble - Glen Campbell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWVsbw0hHU

I got a clip of another one , Anybody Else - it was a excellent show & I'm looking forward to more of the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxB6x-MPEmU
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Weather disruption means my flight to Liverpool tomorrow has been cancelled. So I'll miss these shows. Another time.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

johnfoyle wrote:Weather disruption means my flight to Liverpool tomorrow has been cancelled. So I'll miss these shows. Another time.
thats' a real shame.

all the best

Colin Top Balcony