Book promo, Liverpool, 26 October 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Book promo, Liverpool, 26 October 2015

Post by And No Coffee Table »

As predicted in another thread...

https://www.waterstones.com/events/an-e ... /liverpool
An Evening With Elvis Costello!

Monday 26th October 19:30 at Royal Court Theatre, 1 Roe Street, Liverpool , L1 1HL

Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink: Notes for a Memoir (Hardback)
Waterstones Liverpool are delighted and honoured to welcome musical legend Elvis Costello back to his home town to discuss his much anticipated memoir Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink.

Born Declan Patrick MacManus, Elvis Costello was raised in London and Liverpool, grandson of a trumpet player on the White Star Line and son of a jazz musician who became a successful radio dance band vocalist. Costello went into the family business and had taken the popular music world by storm before he was twenty-four. Costello continues to add to one of the most intriguing and extensive songbooks of the day. His performances have taken him from a cardboard guitar in his front room to fronting a rock and roll band on your television screen and performing in the world's greatest concert halls in a wild variety of company. Unfaithful Music describes how Costello's career has somehow endured for almost four decades through a combination of dumb luck and animal cunning, even managing the occasional absurd episode of pop stardom. This memoir, written with the same inimitable touch as his lyrics, and including dozens of images from his personal archive, offers his unique view of his unlikely and sometimes comical rise to international success, with diversions through the previously undocumented emotional foundations of some of his best known songs and the hits of tomorrow. The book contains many stories and observations about his renowned co-writers and co-conspirators, though Costello also pauses along the way for considerations on the less appealing side of infamy. Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink is destined to be a classic, idiosyncratic memoir of a singular man.

Elvis will be in conversation with crime writer and lifelong Elvis Costello fan Mark Billingham. There will also be an audience Q&A and the chance to have your books signed. Books will be available to buy on the evening.

Tickets will be £10 (£8 for Loyalty Card holders) or there will be a number of £30 tickets which include admission to the event and a copy of the book, priced at £25. Please note - this offer will only be available on line.

Join us for what we are sure will be an unforgettable and very special evening, in a venue very close to Elvis' heart.

Further details: 0151 709 9820
Top balcony

Re: Book promo, Liverpool, 26 October 2015

Post by Top balcony »

Best thanks for posting this.

As predicted in another thread I've done a complete about face and bought the first ticket!

I'd thought I'd never see EC at the RC again, those were fantastic gigs.

Colin Top Balcony
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

I totally agree Colin...I love The RC. Tickets booked :-) It would have been rude not to, although I suspect that Mr Cocktail Murderess will disagree. 'Twice in one week?' Best make a trip to M&S food hall in the morning and break the news gently tomorrow evening over a Dine in for a Tenner meal. Hee hee!
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Despite preferring Liverpool to London, I'm still not tempted - bah humbug etc ad nauseum :evil:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis will be in conversation with crime writer and lifelong Elvis Costello fan Mark Billingham.

Mark replied on Twitter to my asking if he is doing the London appearance -

No. I think I know who is, but I cannot say...

The suspense of it..
erey

Post by erey »

Billingham is all excited about his upcoming date with Elvis:

http://www.purplerevolver.com/music/new ... rpool.html
Cocktail Murderess

Seems like Mr Billingham spun the Songbook the same night as I back in 86 at The Royal Court.....I wonder if he's on any of my photos?! :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe he danced with you in the cage :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Worth plugging the availability of youtube footage of this epic show via the wiki : http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool

However a bit of a health warning - this bootleg is awful quality, truly awful, with some x-rated (and very funny) adlibs from Drew Schofield (aka Scully) as guest MC,

By some miracle the up-someone's-jumper video camera manages to capture the essence of the show in a way most of the current crop of visually perfect i-pad footage can never do.

Colin Top Balcony
Cocktail Murderess

verbal gymnastics wrote:Maybe he danced with you in the cage :wink:
Haha VG! No, it wasn't him in the cage with me, but some other random bloke who was plucked from the audience shortly after I was. Needless to say I had no idea what that bloke looked like as my eyes were obviously transfixed elsewhere...... :lol: :oops:
Top balcony wrote:Worth plugging the availability of youtube footage of this epic show via the wiki : http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool

However a bit of a health warning - this bootleg is awful quality, truly awful, with some x-rated (and very funny) adlibs from Drew Schofield (aka Scully) as guest MC,

By some miracle the up-someone's-jumper video camera manages to capture the essence of the show in a way most of the current crop of visually perfect i-pad footage can never do.

Colin Top Balcony
Thanks Colin for this. I've not seen the footage before........I nearly spilt my Thursday night Mai Tai when I saw it! :-)
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Got my tickets, book ordered also.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I was chatting to Mark Billingham last night, after a show at the St James Theatre with My Darling Clementine (both of whom are also Elvis fans). Paul Cassidy (Brodsky Quartet) was in the audience. The Brodskys appeared on the most recent My Darling Clementine album. Anyway, at the Book promo in Liverpool, Mark said he would be tempted to ask Elvis some "anoraky" questions as well as the more general ones. Mark knows his Elvis.

Mark was recounting having also been at a Rude 5 show at the Hammersmith Odeon in July 1991, which had just been a cacophony. Terry Staunton has recently written about walking out of one of the shows in that run.

Mark also said he was tempted to ask Elvis a question along the lines of "North ? WTF?" Mr Billingham is not a fan of that album.

Mark will also be at the Royal Festival Hall conversation, but as an audience member, not an interviewer.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Man out of Time wrote:Mark was recounting having also been at a Rude 5 show at the Hammersmith Odeon in July 1991, which had just been a cacophany. Terry Staunton has recently written about walking out of one of the shows in that run.
Ugh! That's just reminded me that I went to 3 successive nights...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I'm setting off soon!!!! Can't wait
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on ... l-10334079

Elvis Costello In Conversation with Mark Billingham at The Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool

Elvis Costello was at Liverpool's Royal Court Theatre this evening talking about his autobiography Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink. The world-famous musician, who grew up in Birkenhead, returned to Merseyside as part of his international book tour - which will see him appearing at the Royal Festival Hall in London on Wednesday and in Chicago and New York next month.

https://twitter.com/SteveGoudie/status/ ... 3002033152

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

A great time was had by all - including Coctail M and Spirit who kindly allowed me to join them in the queue (apologies to those behind) and MikeH who I snook in.

Mark played the role of quizmaster well, but this was Elvis' show. Audience included Sir Alan Bleasedale, as is customary, but EC also namechecked the couple who used to run the folk club in Formby Library where Rusty played, plus Frank a "survivor of the Temple Bar" a long gone venue in Dale St.

I asked a question about memories (his) of playing in the Royal Court Theatre when it was a raucus rock venue. Nice answer including words to the effect that it "felt like home".

And two songs to wrap up - "Stranger in the House", plus, after a poignant reading about his Mum "Shipbuilding". A video copy of the former exists and I hope can be shared, it would be wonderful if "Shipbuilding" was captured too.

Off to join the WH Smiths queue this lunchtime to get my copy defaced.

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

Thanks.

So was there a Q&A part of the show?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

A great night! About an hour interview with Mark Billingham, Q&A with the audience and then a book signing! Thanks to Top Balcony, C Murderess and Spirit of C for the warm welcome and Thanks to C Murderess for organising the photo of me with EC. Enjoy Manchester and London
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I thought EC got a bit choked at one point talking about his friend who was killed in a car accident. Quite an emotional night as there seemed to be many old friends in the audience
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Had a fantastic night, it was great to speak to the gentleman whose wedding Elvis played at many years ago.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.purplerevolver.com/style/cre ... court.html

An Evening With Elvis Costello at The Liverpool Royal Court

by Chris High

Brought up in London before moving to Liverpool in the early seventies and born the son of a trumpet player for the Joe Loss Orchestra, it is little wonder that little Declan MacManus would make his mark in the world of music. What was obviously more difficult to foresee was just how big a mark – and how influential – the re-monikered Elvis Costello would become.

In the delightful settings of the work in progress that is The Liverpool Royal Court Theatre, self-confessed Costello nut and best selling crime fiction author Mark Billingham, eased the audience and his “guest” through the inspirations that lie behind his recently published memoir, Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink with all the skill of a practiced stage performer.

After all, Costello has made a bit of a name for himself for being difficult, although judging by his demeanour here that side of his make up seems to be somewhat misplaced, as he casually described his upbringing, his love for the city he calls “home” and the reasons as to why this is not just a story about his life but, just as importantly, those who have helped shaped it.

The extracts he chose to read also showed – as though the lyrics to some of his songs don’t already illustrate this – that he has a dry, ready wit and more than a modicum of self-deprecation which never comes across as false modesty, but more of a simple understanding of how far hard work and more than a pinch of the requisite dumb luck can take any artiste.

As an event, the evening was as relaxed and informal as anybody could have wished, with Billingham steering the ship well and allowing the subject to interject and, well, speak with great passion about his career, his family and his peers and influences with equal affection, and the decision for the star of the show to take questions from the audience and stay behind to sign books afterwards simply added to the occasion and enamoured him even more to those aficionados in attendance.

So much so that the book, available now from Waterstones Liverpool One and who organised this evening’s event, has to go down as something of a “must read”.

An Evening with Elvis Costello: “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink” Book Launch
The Liverpool Royal Court Theatre
Host: Mark Billingham
PR Rating: ****
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Bah humbug rubbish glad I didn't go etc :oops: