Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack album, Oct 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack album, Oct 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Earlier in this thread -
Chalkie Davies on f/book -

There is a photo in the new CD booklet( with this album) , early eighties, never seen by anyone but EC and myself. Always said one day we would find a use for it. We call it the Haircut 100 photo.

The image turned out to be this -

It was reproduced in a very tiny version in the booklet. A use from the time it was taken , 1983, has turned up in a feature in a magazine that was in the stash that Bronxapostle gave me recently in New York.

It was the only photo the magazine was given . They made maximum use of it , reversing it to use a detail for the cover.

It has comments that have a extra resonance after reading the book.

(extract)

Is it possible to love someone with trust, with believing that you won't be betrayed?

Of course it is. It's one of the things that you might value most of all in people. It's the thing you would crave most, want to protect the most.

Is it in your nature to write songs about how love can be successful?

I wouldn't say I hadn't written songs like that. Far too much emphasis is placed on aggression and mistrust and bitterness and anger and all of the negative things. I always assumed that that was because it made better copy to project me as aggressive.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ember_1983
John

Post by John »

Wasn't that photo on the Let Them All Talk single?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Indeed it was - well remembered!

John

Post by John »

A prized possession. I loved that single at the time so much I splashed out on the 12" version (that goes on and on......).

It also has a bigger version of the photo!

I will have to look at my booklet tonight. I am sure I worked out which picture they were talking about but I don't think it is this one.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.mittelbayerische.de/kultur/m ... 24374.html

Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Elvis Costello: Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album

Manche haben Declan Patrick MacManus noch als quirligen Anzugträger mit Kassengestell auf der Nase in Erinnerung, als eine Art Anti-Buddy-Holly. Damals, Ende der 70er-Jahre, als die Stil-Kreuzungen aus Pop, New Wave, Punk und schwarzer Musik sich zu immer neuen Synergien zusammentaten, war Elvis Costello, so MacManus' Pseudonym, der Künstler der Stunde. Dass er, mit nunmehr 61 Lebensjahren, ebenso unkonventionell mit der Feder zu Hand gehen kann, bewies erneut vor kurzem seine Autobiografie "Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink", die auf annähernd 800 Seiten Costello-typisch unberechenbare Anekdoten des Meisters in 36 Kapiteln gruppiert. Begleitend zu dieser überaus unterhaltsamen Schwarte hat Costello nun eine musikalische Werkschau zusammengestellt, die er sinngemäß "Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album" nennt.

Costellos Reiz liegt in der Ambivalenz seines Schaffens. Jacket und Buchhaltergesicht stehen im Gegensatz zu den oft zynischen Texten und der von Neugier, Experimentierfreude und Sorglosigkeit geprägten Stilvielfalt auf jedem neuen Longplayer des Londoners. Im Laufe der Jahrzehnte gelangen Costello immer wieder überraschende Weiterentwicklungen seines Pop-Schaffens, das er stets intelligent mit Blues, Country, Ska oder Soul vermengte. Kollaborationen mit Burt Bacharach, Jazz-Querdenker Bill Frisell, New Orleans-Urgestein Allen Toussaint oder den HipHop-Experimentierern von The Roots festigten Costellos Ruf als genialen Freigeist.

38 Songs wurden nun aus vier Jahrzehnten Karriere extrahiert, darunter Bekanntes wie "Oliver's Army", "Watching The Detectives" oder "Shipbuilding", sowie Einblicke in oben genannte musikalische Partnerschaften. Fans werden indes die Raritäten interessanter finden: Die fragile Live-Version "Accidents Will Happen" von 1978, die eine gelungene Album-Eröffnung garantiert, sowie das rührende semi-akustische Demo "Veronica" von 1991. Zuvor gänzlich unveröffentlicht waren indes nur zwei Songs: "April 5th" (2008) mit Johnny-Cash-Tochter Rosanne und Kris Kristofferson und das frühe Demo "I Can't Turn It Off" aus dem Jahre 1975, als Elvis Costello sich noch D.P. Costello nannte.

Abgerundet wird der gelungene Costello-Bauchladen von einer vierminütigen Lesung des Meisters selbst, deren Text übrigens nicht im Buch vorkommt. Dazu kommen zahlreiche Fotos aus dem Familienalbum und alle Songtexte im Booklet.

Elvis Costello auf Tournee:

21.05.2016, Laeiszhalle, Hamburg

Bewertung: ausgezeichnet

teleschau - der mediendienst
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Finally got around to finishing my review of the album, and the book, and the audiobook:

http://everybodysdummy.blogspot.com/201 ... music.html

Have at it.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I would say you hit the mark in your piece pretty much spot on- I enjoyed your take on all three....... 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'