Elvis & The Imposters play Austin, TX, July 17 '15

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?

This show may feature a Rusty reunion !

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... =2&t=10488
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Austin, TX, July 17 '15

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A support spot in a large-ish venue doesn't seem like the right occasion for an onstage reunion, but I'd like it to happen anyway.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Very true. It would surprise me if there wasn't a reunion (subject to availability as they say) but I should think it will be private rather than public. If there's anything made public I suspect it won't be from Elvis.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
erey

Post by erey »

Maybe EC will turn up at Allan's gig that night. Now that would be something.
verbal gymnastics

Allan has already said he'll be meeting with Elvis.

Having not seen each other for 35 years, that will be some catch up!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just had this exchange of messages with Allan on f/book - more when/if I get it!

John Foyle It was great to hear you on the radio earlier this year talking about reconnecting with Elvis. I look forward to reading about your meeting him in Austin next week!

Allan Mayes Thursday, Friday and Sunday of this weekend, John Foyle. That should just about do it for the next 40 years. I don't like to overstay my welcome.

John Foyle Great news. Me 'n some other Elvis fans are dead curious at the thought of it all. 'Thursday , Friday & Sunday' - does that mean you'll be part of his shows on those days?
verbal gymnastics

John - don't go spoiling any surprises!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Allan replies

No John Foyle, not part of the shows. Thursday we meet on his night off, Friday and Sunday , Austin and Dallas dates.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve Nieve / f/book

The Costello Tour Bus Convoy entering the Austin City Limits. It's been a 12 hour cruise, the Imposters are all out if their bunks and ready to start the day..
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This photo popped up in my f/book news feed when Allan Mayes was tagged in a photo taken by a Siobhan McCullough , from Ireland but now resident in Austin, Texas

Back along

And No Coffee Table

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 6d725.html

01. The River In Reverse
02. Watching The Detectives
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
05. Either Side Of The Same Town
06. Bedlam
07. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
08. Alison
09. Clubland
10. Everyday I Write The Book
11. Pump It Up
12. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

johnfoyle wrote:This photo popped up in my f/book news feed when Allan Mayes was tagged in a photo taken by a Siobhan McCullough , from Ireland but now resident in Austin, Texas

Back along

Oh that Rusty!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKRslEWSkU
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

johnfoyle wrote:
Well strike me pink, if that isn't Elvis's favourite acoustic guitar! It looked battered even back then. Will it ever become the ravaged bison skeleton in the Nevada desert that is Willie Nelson's preferred strumming device?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.glidemagazine.com/142084/ste ... ow-review/

Steely Dan and Elvis Costello – Austin360 Amphitheater, Austin, TX 7/17/15 (SHOW REVIEW)

Despite temperatures pushing nearly a hundred, a steady breeze cooled the crowd who gradually made their way in the Austin360 Amphitheater to catch Steely Dan with a half opening, half co-headlining set from Elvis Costello. Dapper as always, the Englishman seemed unphased by the heat as he took the stage clad in a black suit. Costello was backed by just three Imposters, who injected funk and even hints of reggae and dub into a greatest hits setlist. Stronger power pop offerings like “Accidents Will Happen” and “Alison” caught the ears of even more casual fans while the slow-burning swell of the newer tune “Either Side Of Town” complimented the setting sun. The band built on the momentum of each song, and by the time they got to the end of a finely crafted set with “Pump It Up” and closer “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding”, a spontaneous dance party of khaki-clad baby boomers had erupted on the lawn of the venue. What’s not to love about Elvis Costello?

Call them “dad rock” or “easy listening” or whatever snarky condescending term you want, but it’s impossible to deny the sheer talent and timeless originality of Steely Dan. Going back to their landmark 1972 debut Can’t Buy A Thrill, the mastermind duo of Donald Fagan and Walter Becker have managed to make incredibly complex music that is lyrically and compositionally abstruse, yet song after song is irresistibly catchy. It’s no surprise that the mad genius mainly responsible for Steely Dan’s ironic and at times cynical lyrics has a reputation for being a little cranky. Luckily, Donald Fagan appeared to be in high spirits as he sat at his piano after a brief introduction of loungy jazz from his expert backing band. There was reason to be happy for the band and fans, as this show marked Steely Dan’s third ever Austin appearance; the first being sometime in the Seventies at the Armadillo World Headquarters and the second in 2013 at the much smaller Bass Concert Hall.

For Steely Dan lovers (a devoted bunch indeed), every song feels like a greatest hit, which works out because that means no matter what they play live, it promises to satisfy nearly everyone. Fagan’s voice was in top form as he led the large band through a set consisting mostly of songs from Dan’s most active, earlier era. The funky, disco-tinged “Black Cow” set a jubilant mood that got the audience grooving along. Walter Becker added his own touch with a long nerdy rant that had something to do with Pluto and getting high if you want to, a suggestion that found many a doobie being lit by that guy who could definitely be your dad. Despite the giant stage and venue, Fagen and Becker opted out of any elaborate displays, needing nothing more than a simple light show to add a touch of flare to songs like “Aja”, “Hey Nineteen”, “Dirty Work” and “Peg”. These two artists have always surrounded themselves with major talent, and their band and backup singers elevated each song above the studio cut with precise grooves, big bold horn flourishes, and explosive solos. Even that legendary guitar solo on “Reelin’ In The Years” – which closed out the set – was flawlessly nailed.

An encore of “Kid Charlemagne” sealed the deal and fans of the Dan were given a performance that sounded fresh and vibrant, making it almost hard to believe that the two leaders are reeling in the years themselves. Plenty in attendance were there for nostalgia, but there were handfuls of youngsters folks equally psyched on the band, showing that even in today’s busy musical landscape, Steely Dan can still dish out something that demands to be heard.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

http://smashlin.com/2015/07/22/elvis-co ... teely-dan/

Elvis Costello (and Steely Dan)
Posted on 07/22/2015 by AJ Whitaker

Elvis Costello has worked his way into my musical loves over time. Snippets of catchy songs unlike the ones I was immersing myself in, came by way of movies and the musical collections of older relatives. There was the best of album on vinyl that I had inherited. Many cameos in movies and tv shows, common enough that he is the Stephen King of musicians. As a younger ignorant observer I would think, “Hey there is that English guy with that one song I can hum!” So many coincidences occurred that I was unable to ignore him forever. I embraced Elvis Costello for the lyrical content and his constant attempt at perfecting rock. When my coworkers informed me that they were buying tickets to see him perform last Friday on the seventeenth, I wanted in.

I had never see him perform live.

There is always the fear that watching a musician for the first time will be polarizing. Either I am enraptured with fandom over their stellar performance, convinced and hopeful of catching them again. Or I am despondent over sound quality, no longer respectful of their skills, and resigned to enjoying their music over the sanctity of headphones or in my home. With acts that I have watched several times, there can be a gradual falling out. It happens with time and newer albums, they are moving in a different direction that no longer resonates with me. ( I am talking about Childish Gambino or when Conor Oberst became happy. Once he became depressed again, his music reflected it, and Bright Eyes was appealing once more.)

Elvis Costello was not disappointing. If he could not get it right by this point, no amount of name recognition could have allowed him to tour as he has. The appeal of Elvis Costello is how he managed to be on the vanguard of the changing music scene in the seventies. He integrated himself as British music embraced its pop sentimentality while adding a new spin. This was the dawn of new wave and punk. Since his debut album in 77, he has found a comfortable niche and over thirty-five years later is now a defining sound when trying to describe music coming from the UK.

His voice defines whether someone can embrace him or not. I enjoy it and unable to characterize it. I just do not have the descriptive power to do so. On stage he was clear and carried over the studio quality into his live performance. His voice has aged, but is to be expected. Seeing him perform was one of the more professional sets I have been able to witness. He came out with his band, The Pretenders, to a brief musical intro. Their instruments were already tuned before they walked on, in mid step he slung on his guitar and the others were not off a beat as they began. His set and discourse with the crowd comes off not as rehearsed, but a rhythm he has down so well that improvisation comes natural to him. There was little movement on stage. He does not dance around and slam about. He does change guitars with each song in the same way that divas have wardrobe changes.

Elvis Costello’s love of music is well documented. His backup was not treated as tools in the background. He introduced everyone twice in the course of his set. At the beginning and towards the end, in case a latecomer was not aware of the assistance Elvis Costello depends on. I imagine that he is not one of the big band dictators that plagued musicians of the past, ones that would belittle and keep their performers toeing the line between competence and excellence so they would not be upstaged. I imagine that he encourages and wants the input they may have to say.

It was a twelve song set that covered the hits of his career. The older women in the audience stirred with life as Alison came forth, remembering the times when they were desirable and reckless, when people moaned over their impact on their lives. Everyone became antsy as Pump It Up came on, it is impossible not to feel the enthusiasm of the beat. Of course he ended his set with (What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding. There was no encore.

This was a double billed tour, with Steely Dan. Which could have been the reason why there was no encore, or maybe the venue had a say. I doubt it though, I feel that he reserves them for special occasions, as it should be. I am always the first to book it. I never wait. Encores happen so often that I do not feel like a special audience member who deserves it. Plus I want to be home.

But Steely Dan. Really? They are complete opposites. At Elvis Costello the crowd settled in with their pricey beer, sloshing their way through musical nostalgia. Steely Dan’s crowd was the same age group, but preferred to light it up before, during, and after the show.

Steely Dan was not what I was expecting, it does not even make into my musical library. Elvis Costello on the other hand, it was worth the price to see him at least once. I am hoping for a second time.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Dont get me wrong BUT... He came out with his band, The Pretenders ....really !!!
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/ ... ared-tour/

Steely Dan, Elvis Costello Turn Summer Cool

Lynne Margoli
s

July 22nd, 2015

Oh the ‘70s, there certainly was some dreck on the radio back then. If you weren’t around for those years, just imagine what it was like to sit in the car with a top-40-loving parent and face aural assaults from Donny Osmond or Dr. Hook. Or Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka or Olivia Newton-John. There were no Walkmans yet, much less iPods. Short of changing the station and risking serious repercussions, there was no escaping the torture of “Mandy.”

But now and then, something cut through the crap. Something like “Do It Again.” You found yourself bobbing your head to that sandy under-rhythm while sucking in its snake-charmed melody as if you hadn’t breathed in ages. It grooved. It rocked. It was, to borrow the words of Donald Fagen, eminently hip.

Then you caught the double-time ennui of “show biz kids making movies of themselves” and the shiny sheen of California tumblin’ into the sea, and recognized the sound of salvation. The antidote to “Touch Me in the Morning,” “Half-Breed” and the post-Beatles insult of “Live and Let Die.” This wasn’t bloated prog-rock or touchy-feely folk. It had soul. And sarcasm. And edge. You got that vinyl home and practically disintegrated it. Ecstasy, indeed.

That’s why bands like Steely Dan still sell tickets decades after their names last appeared on Billboard charts. And why fans don’t seem to mind that set lists for the current Rockabye Gollie Angel tour closely resemble those from the last few tours. Those songs still evoke something in us, flashing us back to the euphoria of youthful discovery. But it’s one thing to regurgitate dated-sounding oldies for nostalgic boomers; it’s another to present material that sounds timeless — even current — because it was so well crafted in the first place.

The set Fagen and Steely Dan mate Walter Becker presented July 18 at the Austin 360 Amphitheater actually couldn’t have been much tastier — particularly because the bill also included Elvis Costello & the Imposters (though opening-act status seemed dubious for a guy who’s got more chart history than the headliners). Plucking nuggets from Can’t Buy A Thrill through Gaucho (with the exception of Pretzel Logic, oddly), their finely honed two-hour show steered clear of lesser-quality hits (“Rikki Don’t Lose That Number”; “FM”) in favor of liberal doses from their two finest albums, Countdown to Ecstasy and Aja.

Fagen and Becker have long since learned to relish the joys of performing live, even as they render tunes Fagen admits they must play — a list apparently including “Peg,” “Hey Nineteen,” “Josie” and “Kid Charlamagne,” followed by “My Old School,” “Aja,” “Bodhisattva,” “Black Friday” and “Show Biz Kids.” That’s the order of the top nine most-performed Dan songs according to setlist.fm, every one of which, thankfully, made the Austin list, along with 10, 11 and 12: “Reelin’ in the Years,” “Time Out of Mind” and “Babylon Sisters.”

“You’re probably gonna know a lot of these tunes,” Fagen said with characteristic understatement. “If you don’t know ‘em, pretend that you know ‘em.”

Backed by a stellar 12-member ensemble, Becker offered elegant, stuttery guitar solos on songs like “Hey Nineteen” — along with an extended stream-of-consciousness monologue in which he somehow related the status of Pluto to why music “was so important to us back in the day.” It was, he said, because “only music could lift us all up and unite all of us together.” After several minutes, he brought it around to what couples might want to do after the show. Beverages were mentioned; recipes were recited. Eventually, that gave the audience its chance to lustily shout the line containing two of rock music’s most memorable product references: Cuervo Gold and fine Colombian.

If only he’d stuck to guitar and spoken musings. Unfortunately, Becker also handled lead vocals on “Daddy Don’t Live in that New York City No More.” It was the only musical misstep of the night. (The lighting was another story, vacillating between too flashy and too dark.) Far more common were moments such as the musical conversation Fagen and Becker held, via melodica and guitar, on “Time Out of Mind.”

When he wasn’t out front blowing the hooter, Fagen swayed behind his electric piano. With his gradient glasses and side-to-side movements, he looked so much like a white Ray Charles, several people noted it afterward. The front of his keyboard carried the only stage decoration: a montage of jazz greats.

Down front, the dancing didn’t commence in earnest till they broke out the tune that stands as perhaps their finest single achievement: the deliciously funky, insanely melodic “My Old School.” Becker and guitarist/music director Jon Herington traded leads while Fagan related the 46-year-old tale of their undergraduate drug bust.

Earlier in the show, Fagen introduced Becker with the statement, “Fifty years I’ve been making music with this guy, and what can I say? So far, so good.”

Yeah, on this night, it was.

Costello and the Imposters — the superb unit of Pete Thomas on drums, Steve Nieve on keyboards and Davey Faragher on bass — had a decent night, despite playing straight into the setting, 95-degree Texas sun. The ever dapper Costello absorbed those rays in a black three-piece suit and shirt, offset by a cream-colored fedora. It didn’t look like lightweight linen. Remarkably, he didn’t look like he was sweating, either.

Opening with “The River in Reverse,” the too-quick hour-long set scattered deeper tracks such as “Either Side of the Same Town” and “Bedlam” among classics including “Watching the Detectives,” “Accidents will Happen” “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea,” “Pump It Up.”

Costello’s buttery voice was in fine form, and his musical wit was well-matched with the headliners’. On this night, both acts expertly allowed fans to experience the true measure of their artistry: their ability to continually turn songs they’ve played countless times into versions simultaneously familiar and new. Even “Alison” and Costello’s closing cover of Nick Lowe’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” underwent some rearranging. Which only added to their timeless energy.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »