Probably alone on this one, but...

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Probably alone on this one, but...

Post by when i was cruel »

I absolutely love 'Almost Ideal Eyes', it's one of those funky-mamba kind of songs that has a really nice softer refrain, not dissimilar to the likes of 'Episode of Blonde'.

Does anyone else feel this way ?
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
TX_Fan

Re: Probably alone on this one, but...

Post by TX_Fan »

I too have always loved that song. ATUB was my first purchase long ago of the Rhino releases with the bonus CD. I always thought that it should have made the album. EC agreed in the liner notes.
Last edited by TX_Fan on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

It never really had any commercial appeal I guess, although when did EC fans ever care about commercial success ? I love ATUB as a whole album so maybe Im partial to the late 90's sound of it.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Funny enough, just listened to the entire Rhino two cd version and yes, the song is great. I am partial to the live versions they played at the Beacon in 1995. As I am a spastic adding link from cell phone...would someone kindly place here the torrent link for my FANTASTIC compilation OF ALL the new songs from that five night stand? Please as it is almost better than the official release. Haha doc....I believe you uploaded it for us.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:Funny enough, just listened to the entire Rhino two cd version and yes, the song is great. I am partial to the live versions they played at the Beacon in 1995. As I am a spastic adding link from cell phone...would someone kindly place here the torrent link for my FANTASTIC compilation OF ALL the new songs from that five night stand? Please as it is almost better than the official release. Haha doc....I believe you uploaded it for us.
I put it on YouTube:

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

THAT works...thanks doc. But one of our great partners had made exclusive artwork for this "release." Too late for you to place that one here instead I bet. Hope people enjoy this comp as much as I do.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Not alone at all, WIWC - this is a great Elvis oddity! The verse must be a tribute to Georgie Fame, surely, then the the chorus goes off into that completely different, swoony place. Hard to sing, though - I think some female jazz singer with a smoother voice might be able to pull off the definitive version - much as I love Elvis's.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I actually think that ATUB is a very fine album that is missing two of its best songs-- "Almost Ideal Eyes" was the kind of weird, crazy Attractions number it needed, along with "God Give Me Strength" which sounded (I think) its very best in the Beacon shows with the band.

Imagine IbMePdErRoIoAmL without "Beyond Belief" and "Almost Blue" and you kind of get how I feel about ATUB. Still really good, but boy those two songs really would have made a big impact.

I believe that we may have Diana Krall to thank for its later reemergence in concert for My Flame Burns Blue-- she is a big fan of that song, I read somewhere....
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

cwr wrote:I believe that we may have Diana Krall to thank for its later reemergence in concert for My Flame Burns Blue-- she is a big fan of that song, I read somewhere....
Yes, she included "Almost Ideal Eyes" on this and called it "one of my favorite tunes he's done":