Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Southampton, June 19 '15

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
OnADockInSouthampton

Re: Elvis, solo, Southampton, June 19 '15

Post by OnADockInSouthampton »

I'll be there. Balcony A3. My Ticketmaster ticket says No Support, hopefully that's not correct?
Your turn to buy, my turn to drink
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

I'll be there too as well as Bristol, Plymouth and Basingstoke !!!!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/leisure/news ... Guildhall/

REVIEW: Elvis Costello, Southampton Guildhall

by Rachel Adams, Photographer

Elvis Costello at Southampton Guildhall. Picture by Dawn Fletcher-Parker

SINGING superstar Elvis Costello played an astonishing set of acoustic music in Southampton.

The legendary songwriter performed more than two hours of greatest hits and other tunes at The Guildhall as part of his nationwide 21-date Detour tour.

After casually walking on he stood in front of a fantastically designed set that was dominated by a 1960s style giant television.

His piano was on the left and he was surrounded by at least five different guitars which were picked up one after each other.

Standing alone on the giant stage and wearing a purple suit, black buttoned up shirt and a bright white boater hat, Costello began with his 1977 song Red Shoes from his outstanding debut album My Aim is True.

The seated audience was immediately enthralled and it wasn’t long before Accidents will Happen thrilled his loyal fans even more.

But it was an almost unbelievable performance of Costello’s biggest chart song Oliver’s Army that really saw things get going.

The 1979 number two hit, which usually has a considerable piano accompaniment, was sung with just an acoustic guitar and at an even greater pace than usual. It was a memorable moment.

Things briefly slowed down with the brilliant Ship Building, which was written in the middle of the Falklands War.

That tune was the first of many that brought the captivated crowd to their feet. Watching the Detectives and Alison were two more.

In a moving interlude Costello reminded fans of his music heritage and his mother Lilian and father Ross MacManus, who sang with the Joe Loss orchestra.

The singer showed a film of the famous big band and his dad singing and dancing to the Sixties hit I’ve Got a Hammer. The ensemble did that song at the 1963 Royal Variety Performance.

Costello sat down to sing his spellbinding 1999 cover of the Charles Aznavour hit She.

Apart from the bright spotlights on the headliner the Guildhall lighting was unusually modest. The only glimmers of light across the imposing four walls were the reflections from Costello’s guitar.

The West London singer, who now resides in New York, is a super all round entertainer.

His stories about his upbringing and ducking and diving through forty years in the music industry were often hilarious and heart-warming.

He revealed his Grandfather had strong links with Southampton after working for the White Star line.

With his great story telling and music it is no wonder Costello was the artist who appeared most often on The Late Show with David Letterman which ended last month. He even hosted an episode and did the famous nightly monologue.

For the final part of the show Costello was joined by singing Atlanta sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell who perform as Larkin Poe.

They provided terrific vocal and guitar accompaniment on a medley of country-rock songs.

The talented girls also have their own UK tour including a date at the 100 Club in London on July 1. The encore saw an astounding performance of Pump it Up, Good Year for the Roses and a resounding rendition of Peace, Love and Understanding.

Finally, Costello was back alone at the Piano for a soulful performance of Nick Lowe’s I Can’t Stand up for Fall Down.

Then with a long standing ovation the show was over. Elvis had left the building again nearly forty years since he first played The Gaumont in Southampton.

The good news is that one of Britain’s greatest singer-songwriters returns to the South to play The Anvil, Basingstoke on Friday June 26.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It was a fantastic show. It was good to meet up with Sulky (as ever) and Mr and Mrs Little Fool (apologies for not recognising you at first and thanks for taking a picture of me, Megan and Rebecca).

Larkin Poe's set was well received. The Guildhall is one of those venues where the bars can be accessed by the doors opening at the side. Unfortunately they were left open when their set was on so background chatter could irritatingly be heard between songs. On a quiet bit in one of the songs it was clearly audible to Rebecca who at least smiled about it.

Elvis' set was loved by a very enthusiastic seated crowd. I felt Elvis was trying to get us up and I'm sure he looked at me at least twice but I got the feeling that it was the sort of venue where you would be told to sit down straight away.

The highlights were:

- hearing Elvis sound checking My little blue window (sadly he didn't play it)

- Kinder murder played with Larkin Poe with Elvis on his Vagabond guitar

- Less than zero inside the TV. I love that he has played principally 1977/8 songs inside the TV. The only exception (I think) was Don't let me be misunderstood in Newcastle. I don't count Good year for the roses because of the introduction (no spoilers here :lol: ).

- It was funny watching Elvis and Larkin Poe cramped around the solitary mic inside the TV.

- I love the finger picking version of Stella Hurt. Has he done this version throughout the tour or has it been an electric guitar version?

- The final encore of Brilliant mistake and PLU was very rushed. They came back on stage and they were setting up Larkin Poe's mic stands after they started the song. It also ended abruptly after the final "It was a fine idea..." line. They then went into a shorter than usual version of PLU

- Alison was part off mic

- The TV screen did not picture many people. It had Benny Hill, Oliver Reed and whoever it is in the picture posted earlier. There was a Cunard White Star picture which referenced Southampton

I have loved this tour and it's everything last year's short tour wasn't. I've said it before but Larkin Poe really invigorate Elvis.

I'm pleased I want you and Come the Meantimes have been dropped. The former is the equivalent of 2 songs and the latter just doesn't work on the call and response.

I got a setlist which I gave to sulky. As ever it deviated. No doubt he'll post the proper one.

I also took some pictures which I'll ask John to post.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The TV screen did not picture many people. It had Benny Hill, Oliver Reed and whoever it is in the picture posted earlier.
Ken Russell, according to a google image search

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/a-bl ... en-russell
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I only have 'phone access here on my holidays in Italy so can't add the photos right now Verbal. I was able to upload them to the costello l f/book page so if someone would like to transfer them from there, please do so. They are, of course, great, especially that comfy 'n'' close Elvis & the sisters in the TV ( ooh. matron...!).
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nick Lowe's I Can Stand Up... indeed! Interesting that he did an acoustic guitar Oliver's Army in S'ton but stuck to the classic EC inlay Fender in Cambridge for the run of three, only using the acoustic for Roses.

I was listening to When I Was Cruel yesterday and if only he had played My Little Blue Window on Thursday! And I've rekindled my love of Alibi, likewise wish he'd played that.

Similar thing with the rush ed miss for PLU in Cambridge.

Would love to jump in the car and head to Leicester tomorrow evening. An impending £1,500 deposit for London-resident son's year two uni accommodation sadly makes this a pipe dream, but I'll hold out till June 30th for Ron Sexsmith at the Royal Festival Hall.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
OnADockInSouthampton

I'm pretty confident that I've got about 95% of the numbers played but as for the order....well, although i took a pen, for Elvis to sign stuff with, it wasn't suitable for actually writing, so I tried to commit them to a memory palace

The first four are easy as I thought there was a theme of "where there's blame there's a claim (a Cain?)" emerging.

1. (The Angels Want to Wear my) Red Shoes
2. Watch your Step
3. Accidents Will Happen
4. Stella Hurt

The next 3 were:

5. Church Underground
6. 45
7. Either Side of the Same Town

But after this the memory palace boarded its doors and windows, so the following are most of the right songs but not necessarily in the right order:

Oliver's Army
Shipbuilding
She
Ghost Train
Kinder Murder
Jimmy Standing in the Rain
Alison
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Watching the Detectives
That's not the Part of Him You're Leaving
Walking My Baby Back home
Brilliant Mistake
American Without Tears
Pads Paws and Claws
Good Year for the Roses
Side By Side
Pump it Up
Blame it On Cain
(What's so Funny about) Peace, Love and Understanding

Looking at the lists for other gigs it looks as this one may be a couple of titles short but I'm sure one of your more established correspondents can fill in the gaps and re-arrange as necessary.

Anyway, I had a cracking time and managed to briefly meet Elvis afterwards when he unfortunately only had time to sign one of the dozen album sleeves I thrust before him. Better luck next time perhaps.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Glad you got to meet him. Where did he come out? We didn't see his car and the lady in the venue wasn't particularly helpful. She said he'd left about 5 minutes after the gig. As we didn't see his car we assumed she was telling the truth.,.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Not the first time VG and I have been lied to by conniving women :oops:
Fortunately with a 3 & 1/2 hour drive home, I didn't dawdle in the hope of meeting him !
erey

Post by erey »

OnADockInSouthampton wrote:I'm pretty confident that I've got about 95% of the numbers played but as for the order....well, although i took a pen, for Elvis to sign stuff with, it wasn't suitable for actually writing, so I tried to commit them to a memory palace

The first four are easy as I thought there was a theme of "where there's blame there's a claim (a Cain?)" emerging.

1. (The Angels Want to Wear my) Red Shoes
2. Watch your Step
3. Accidents Will Happen
4. Stella Hurt

The next 3 were:

5. Church Underground
6. 45
7. Either Side of the Same Town

But after this the memory palace boarded its doors and windows, so the following are most of the right songs but not necessarily in the right order:

Oliver's Army
Shipbuilding
She
Ghost Train
Kinder Murder
Jimmy Standing in the Rain
Alison
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Watching the Detectives
That's not the Part of Him You're Leaving
Walking My Baby Back home
Brilliant Mistake
American Without Tears
Pads Paws and Claws
Good Year for the Roses
Side By Side
Pump it Up
Blame it On Cain
(What's so Funny about) Peace, Love and Understanding

Looking at the lists for other gigs it looks as this one may be a couple of titles short but I'm sure one of your more established correspondents can fill in the gaps and re-arrange as necessary.

Anyway, I had a cracking time and managed to briefly meet Elvis afterwards when he unfortunately only had time to sign one of the dozen album sleeves I thrust before him. Better luck next time perhaps.
I'm not sure if this will help and this point, but I found it pretty easy to memorize the set lists of the shows I saw on the American leg of this tour by dividing each show up into segments, as they all followed this basic structure:

1. EC standing with guitar (this is the longest segment)
2. EC at the piano
3. EC seated with guitar
4. EC standing with guitar
<intermission with Ross video>
5. Encore with Larkin Poe
6. Encore in the TV
7. Encore(s) back out of the TV: can include song(s) at piano, always includes big finish with Larkin Poe

So, Mr/Ms. Dock, if you still have a visual memory of who was on stage for each song and where they were located, that should get you pretty close.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm sure there's a live recording somewhere with a definitive set list which may appear soon !
OnADockInSouthampton

verbal gymnastics wrote:Glad you got to meet him. Where did he come out? We didn't see his car and the lady in the venue wasn't particularly helpful. She said he'd left about 5 minutes after the gig. As we didn't see his car we assumed she was telling the truth.,.
He came out about 11.35 with his security guy. He signed My Aim is True for me and then then posed for a picture with the girls I was stood with. They were 2 sisters who had made the trip down from London. One had never seen EC before and the other bought them both tickets as a surprise; they told Elvis this and he said "That's nice" and signed the newbie's hand. While I was struggling to get my phone out for a picture his security guy got him on the bus (why are the buses from Austria?). As he climbed aboard another couple called out "Hey, Declan!" and he got out again for a second to have his picture taken with them. Then the bus was off up Above Bar towards The Avenue and the M3. I'm sure I heard him say he was going back to London which seems a bit odd since his next gig was in Bristol!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Verbal's photos ( at last!)