Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Bristol, June 21 '15

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Little Fool

Re: Elvis, solo, Bristol, June 21 '15

Post by Little Fool »

I'll be there John, I guess that we won't be seeing you as you have already done your stint 'oop north' with Nicola and Ronny !!!
edney

Post by edney »

ME!

On my birthday too.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Only new dong in my tour was a Larkin Pie "Stranger On The House" but the audience were on their feet from the TV sequence onwards. Amazing version of Church Underground!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Setlist by Bleadonbill: "Incomplete and not in order"

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 90653.html
edney

Post by edney »

Bristol Set List (99% accurate)

Red Shoes
Watch Your Step
Accidents Will Happen
Ascension Day
Church Underground
Either Side Of The Same Town
Shipbuilding (piano)
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down (piano)
Walking My Baby Back Home (sat)
Ghost Train (sat)
When I Was Cruel (sat)
She (sat)
Watching The Detectives
When I Write The Book/Everyday I Write The Book
Pads, Paws & Claws (Larkin Poe)
Nothing Clings Like Ivy (LP)
Down In The Bottom (LP)
That's Not The Part Of You He's Leaving (LP)
Blame It On Cain (LP)
Stranger In The House (LP)
Oliver's Army (in TV)
Alison (TV)
Pump It Up (TV)
Good Year For The Roses (TV- LP)
Side By Side (piano)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Peace Love & Understanding (LP)

I've got all the tracks, not necessarily in the right order.

I've seen EC on numerous occasions. This was one of his better performances and made up for the rather disappointing Albert Hall appearance last year. His voice sounded excellent throughout and there were many highlights of which Church Underground was indeed the high water mark.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Think Stranger preceded Cain otherwise seems OK. So far I've captured all the shows I've attended (note for Otis- pm me your address and I'll save your dime ratio) and the only down side is that I lost the last 2 minutes of PLU in Stoke. Also managed to find numerous ticket stubs along the way - OK BA ?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:Think Stranger preceded Cain otherwise seems OK. So far I've captured all the shows I've attended (note for Otis- pm me your address and I'll save your dime ratio) and the only down side is that I lost the last 2 minutes of PLU in Stoke. Also managed to find numerous ticket stubs along the way - OK BA ?
Thanks for everything!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Think Stranger preceded Cain otherwise seems OK. So far I've captured all the shows I've attended (note for Otis- pm me your address and I'll save your dime ratio) and the only down side is that I lost the last 2 minutes of PLU in Stoke. Also managed to find numerous ticket stubs along the way - OK BA ?
MY HERO
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello wows the Colston Hall
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Elvis-Cost ... story.html

By The Bristol Post | Posted: June 22, 2015

After more than 40 years of recording, Elvis Costello is not short of material, but even this sprawling set would have surprised his most ardent followers, many of whom probably weren’t expecting to miss the last bus home or pay their babysitters overtime as the clock approached 11pm.

Costello played without a break for just over two hours, performing over 30 career-spanning songs with the vigour of musicians a third of his 60 years.

Now resident in New York, this was an increasingly rare UK show from the Merseyside singer-songwriter and it was the first outing for his new Detour tour.

An intimate, acoustic show covering four decades of hits, as well as few covers, Costello performed solo for much of the evening amidst an innovative set design that resembled a 1950s living room complete with standard lamp and piano.

The main focal point of the stage was a giant retro television set that showed old Costello videos and carefully curated images with a Bristol link, including WG Grace, Tony Benn, Russ Conway and even Wallace and Gromit.

There was also footage of his dad, Ross MacManus, who was a dance band singer with the Joe Loss orchestra in the 1960s - a fitting tribute for this Father’s Day performance.

Switching between six battered but cherished guitars, Costello ripped through the first half of the evening, covering many of the late ‘70s and early ‘80s hits including Accidents Will Happen, Watching The Detectives and Everyday I Write The Book.

He moved to the baby grand for an emotive, chilling version of his classic Falklands War protest song Shipbuilding and a slowed-down piano rendition of I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down. He even slipped in his late 1990s cover of Charles Aznavour’s She and the ‘50s singalong standard Walkin’ My Baby Back Home.

The three encores were longer than the main set, starting with five songs performed with American country duo Larkin Poe, who had opened the evening with their own highly enjoyable set.

Sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell contributed some sweet country harmonies and steel guitar on Nothing Clings Like Ivy, That’s Not The Part of Him You’re Leaving and the Bob Dylan-penned Down on The Bottom.

Re-emerging inside the giant retro TV with his electric guitar, Costello then rocketed through his best-known songs - Oliver’s Army, Alison, Pump It Up and - again joined by Larkin Poe - A Good Year For The Roses and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.

Still looking like he could play for a few more hours, Costello finally left the stage to a standing ovation that was thoroughly deserved for a performance that reaffirmed him as one of the truly great troubadours of our time.

5/5 by Mark Taylor
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Review: Elvis Costello, Colston Hall, Bristol, June 21

http://www.wellsjournal.co.uk/Review-El ... story.html

The straw hat and powder-blue suit suggest a certain statesmanlike jauntiness but when Elvis Costello begins to sing, we recall what we knew him best for - the sneer, the strangulated vowels and, above all, the hooks and barbs of his lyrical talent.

Making a solo appearance at Bristol's Colston Hall (albeit joined by US support act Larkin Poe for a stunning finale) Costello thrummed his way through a collection of era-defining music; songs that have not just stood the test of time but seem to hold new relevance for an uncertain, unequal modern world.

Costello kicked off with The Angels (Wanna Wear My Red Shoes) even as a sizeable proportion of the packed audience rushed in from the bar. He followed that with 'Accidents Will Happen', 'Shipbuilding', 'Ghost Train', 'Watching The Detectives and 'Walkin' My Baby Back Home' ("in the key of Maurice Chevalier..") plus many more.

Stripped of bass, drums and organ, Costello was free to play around with structure and tone. The original Stax influences behind 'I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down' were dropped in favour of a piano-led Gospel take on the song and a melancholy, minor-key version of the old music hall number 'Side By Side', against a backdrop of Tony Benn electioneering in Bristol, was a sharp, sideways swipe at the politics of austerity.

One of the evening's most pleasant surprises was the fact that Costello is as good a storyteller as he is a songwriter. Should he ever do a spoken-word tour, he'd be a guaranteed sell-out. Funny, insightful and with no small measure of Scouse wit, Costello told stories of his parents, grandparents and his time, pre-fame, as a computer operator.

Alt-country female duo Larkin Poe, who provided support with a spectacular set of their own, joined the main Attraction for several numbers before Costello grabbed his trademark Fender Jazzmaster guitar and tore through 'Oliver's Army', 'Pump It Up' and 'Alison', bringing the audience deservedly to its feet, bringing to a close a class evening from a unique artist.

Tom Henry
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

sulky lad wrote:Only new dong in my tour was a Larkin Pie "Stranger On The House"
The mind boggles!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think Elvis trousers were perfectly discrete during this perfomance !! :oops: You know "d" is next to "s" on the keyboard,I meant the only new Song was SITH !!
Incidentally, I'm halfway through marking the Stoke show and will start seeding all of these in the coming weeks, just back to work now so having to cathc up for the sin of 7 days away from the NHS !
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Oh Mr Foyle, you're fallible after all - the review refers to that well known Bristol concert hall of :oops: St David's in Cardiff and the mention of a Welsh audience helps a bit on deciding where this was Fromm
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Oops! Thanks - I'll edit when I get home