Elvis Solo, Basingstoke, Friday 26th June

Pretty self-explanatory
buzz

Re: Elvis Solo, Basingstoke, Friday 26th June

Post by buzz »

I'll be there too and try and make it for 7 to catch up with you all. I've not met any of you before so if you see me looking around in puzzlement, invite me over.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That's probably easier said than done and you might end up in the wrong crowd :lol:

I bet Elizabeth Hurley will feature on the TV. At least as a still it won't be so wooden as her acting.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

I think she is nailed on to feature, especially due to the fact that she went to school locally at The Costello School.............swear to God, no lie, very spooky !
verbal gymnastics

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Have a great time everyone.
I really wished I had bought tickets for more than the one show this tour. Elvis seems to have been on top form every night. I would have loved to have been there tonight.

I have quite a good consolation prize, a VIP ticket to see The Who and Paul Weller at Hyde Park tonight. Sadly I am working today so I will miss Johnny Marr who I really wanted to see. I will be lucky to get there for Weller.

Have a great night hope to see you all soon. I will raise a glass to you all around 7
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Setlist courtesy of Nick:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... asingstoke

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Watch Your Step
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Suit Of Lights
05. Church Underground
06. New Lace Sleeves
07. Kid
08. 45
09. Shipbuilding - on piano
10. In The Darkest Place - on piano - for Burt
11. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
12. Ghost Train - seated
13. She - seated
14. Watching The Detectives
15. Alison
16. All The Rage

Encore 1
17. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
18. Nothing Clings Like Ivy - with Larkin Poe
19. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
20. My Little Blue Window - with Larkin Poe
21. Down On The Bottom - with Larkin Poe

Encore 2 - inside TV
22. Pump It Up
23. Oliver's Army - with Ronan MacManus
24. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe

Encore 3
25. Side By Side - on piano
26. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
27. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe and Ronan MacManus

Start time: 20:50
End time: 23:02
Last edited by Azmuda on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Song number 7 was The Pretenders song "Kid". And it was fantastic!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Great gig - standouts were:

*Church Underground - what a fantastic version of one of his best songs!
*Stand Up/Falling Down - the full Sam and Dave slow soul version, with an amazing vocal and totally confident piano playing
*Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - such a great ballad (the song that Country Darkness was trying to be but never quite achieved)
*Little Blue Window - such a nice surprise
*Nothing Clings Like Ivy - another aching slowie that was put across superbly
*Also loved that Basement Tapes song
*PLU - always has me in tears or close to tears!
* All the Rage
* Alison - so familiar to long-term fans, but he really managed to make it mean something tonight, even after what must be his zillionth rendition.

Only cavil was that some of the earlier songs had too much attack - Suit of Lights has a lovely lilting, metronomic swing to it, but live he always attacks it with fast strumming, which ruins the effect.

But all in all a great night with an appreciative crowd, great support from LP, and lots of board members there.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The man never ceases. WOW....,to just yank a gem of a song like KID out of thin air. I can hear it already....phenomenal, I'm sure. 8)
buzz

Post by buzz »

Maybe it is no surprise that the theme of leavings, endings and sadness in the songs he chose, should be so prominent on the last night of a tour. However as his career continues this becomes more poignant with each year passing and we all get a year older.

A terrific show that he put a lot in to (yes, he attacked the opening songs but I liked that) and the crowd got behind him from the beginning (whoever sang "oh why's that" in Red Shoes, set the tone) so there was a great rapport. My first time at Basingstoke Anvil and would happily return next time, should there be a next time.

Sorry not to catch up with anyone beforehand, I was running late and on arrival looking across the packed bar, it was hard to discern a particular group who matched your dedication to the man, as most seemed veterans of tours gone by. Maybe another time, another place.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! :lol:
Very pleased for everyone lucky enough to be there - VG you need a decent set of lapels to complete your outfit :wink: :wink: :wink:

Colin Top Balcony
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Some great items on that set, and again several new ones to the tour, or played very little. Wish I'd got down there too... New Lace Sleeves, All the Rage, My Little Blue Window... and Kid. I don't know why, but I had a reverie of some sort in my head round about the Cambridge gig of him playing that song. It's always been one of my favourite Pretenders songs, and he is a known fan of that all-time great voice. Apparently, so the Kid link on the Detour page of the Wiki tells us, it was played in medley with Oliver's Army back in '96. Who can claim to have seen that?

The above mentioned page is now complete for all dates. A magnificent example of the internet doing what it does best:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Detour
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

When you say complete, Otis, I assume you're makiing the presumption that there are recordings of Cardiff and Southampton floating around somewhere ?!! :shock: :oops:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:... and Kid. I don't know why, but I had a reverie of some sort in my head round about the Cambridge gig of him playing that song. It's always been one of my favourite Pretenders songs, and he is a known fan of that all-time great voice. Apparently, so the Kid link on the Detour page of the Wiki tells us, it was played in medley with Oliver's Army back in '96. Who can claim to have seen that?
Listen here. Kid starts at 3:02, followed by a very brief snippet of "If You Could Read My Mind" at 3:47

verbal gymnastics

After playing the song Elvis said something like "I just thought what a great song that was".

Talking about Kid after the show, Elvis said "All songs come from Unchained Melody if you listen to them. Really. Kid, If you could read my mind..."

I'll post my review later.
verbal gymnastics

Top balcony wrote:Very pleased for everyone lucky enough to be there - VG you need a decent set of lapels to complete your outfit :wink: :wink: :wink:

Colin Top Balcony
I couldn't handle the pressure!
buzz wrote:Sorry not to catch up with anyone beforehand, I was running late and on arrival looking across the packed bar, it was hard to discern a particular group who matched your dedication to the man, as most seemed veterans of tours gone by. Maybe another time, another place.
I hope so buzz. That's why I suggest PM'ing one of us beforehand so that you don't get in with the wrong crowd :lol:

First things first. It was a fantastic forum get together. In no particular order, there was Mr and Mrs little fool, Neil., Mr, Mrs (although not technically) and Miss so lacklustre, Man out of time, Mr Getgood, Andy the Roofdog, Boy with a problem, Goon Squad, myself, my friend (who has now seen him 3 times in 3 years and couldn't believe her front row seat) and another guy who MOOT met with. It was very cosy at our outside table!

The gig itself was stunning and the best of the tour for me. Elvis bounded on to a cracking ovation and, as buzz said, when he got a call back on Red Shoes, he smiled mid song and the scene was set.

In Accidents we got the familiar story although slightly inaccurately embellished. He said the taxi driver wanted to listen to Dark side of the moon (Pink Floyd) and he wanted to listen to (chronologically incorrect) Sandanista by The Clash. Not the whole album, just the fourth side - the difficult side.

Kid was an absolute gem of a bonus, particularly as it had been preceded by 2 unexpected songs as Suit of lights and New lace sleeves.

A glorious In the darkest place was for Burt who was on stage around now. Again this was inaccurate but perhaps he had read the forum and was trying to dispel the rumours :lol: Elvis said that you know Burt would get on stage and be absolutely immaculate without a bit of mud on him. And we all knew Elvis was right.

Having asked Elvis to play All the rage on the songbook tour (to which he obliged) I thought that given his eye contact and looks at me during the set, that he remembered this and was incredibly pleased when he played it to close the main set. I was inconsolable when I saw it was on the set list :lol: :lol:

My little blue window was again a great bonus although, as much as I love Larkin Poe, I didn't think they added anything to it.

The TV showed Liz Hurley (in 2 separate guises), Dudley Moore on a copy of Fabulous 208 magazine and, to most people's amusement, copy of a genuine book by Rupert Willoughby called Basingstoke and its contributions to world culture.

There were about 20 people outside waiting and Elvis was pretty quickly ushered into his car. If he was heading into London this was probably because of the horrific roadworks on the motorway which took us on a long [ahem] detour. Elvis was charming but in a rush. He signed a few bits but it wasn't anywhere near as relaxed as at other gigs.

He mentioned about Kid as I posted earlier, about things trying to be worked out for some kind of book tour as well as answering a great off the track question by Mrs little fool about his hats. I'll leave little fool to decide if he wants to post it!

A terrific show to end the tour.
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

Lovely view from Row 2 and lovely sound as well.

A recording exists etc
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

buzz wrote:whoever sang "oh why's that" in Red Shoes, set the tone

That was me! Couldn't resist!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Verbal's photos -

Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

So that's why VG got the torch shone at him by security ! lol
Otis Westinghouse

docinwestchester wrote:Listen here. Kid starts at 3:02, followed by a very brief snippet of "If You Could Read My Mind" at 3:47
Ah, thanks for that. Hadn't heard it before, lovely, and it also has a snippet of Unchained Melody, as per VG's quote.
Otis Westinghouse

sulky lad wrote:When you say complete, Otis, I assume you're makiing the presumption that there are recordings of Cardiff and Southampton floating around somewhere ?!! :shock: :oops:
Well the wiki does state a Cardiff recording exists, but not Southampton. The latter is the only one without a setlist, so I was wrong re complete. On this site there is a song listing but not a definite order, and on setlistfm.com a laughable 14 song excuse for a setlist!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 91352.html
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:
buzz wrote:whoever sang "oh why's that" in Red Shoes, set the tone

That was me! Couldn't resist!
So we have you to thank for such a great show. :wink:

Neil. - for the first time ever, you've done it again! :lol:

I also remembered something else - Elvis sang something at the end of PLU. I couldn't make it out but hopefully it'll be clearer on the recording although it wasn't particularly clear.

John - thanks for posting my pictures.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Basingstoke was great and good to catch up with everyone, Me and Mrs LF also sang "oh why's that ?" during Red Shoes as we have done at all four gigs we attended.
Interesting to read VG's thoughts and reflections, I think it that generally the UK tour was a success even if the vocals were a bit 'wobbly' on occasion.
I thought that his strongest vocal was Bristol, it may be coincidental that he also had a night off the Saturday before it, but he was amazingly adept and confident and even did a few harmonic 'tricks' with his voice. It was just like 'old school' Costello where you thought that he could easily go on well beyond the two and a bit hours he had already given.
Another thing regarding the 'scripted reminiscences', when he got to the Bob Dylan bit he said "there were 24 sealed envelopes containing lyrics", on the other nights we had seen him there were 14 !!!!!????
I think that the Anvil is probably my favourite venue to see him, (and any other artist for that matter), the size and acoustics mean that you never feel distanced from what's going on.
Hope to catch up with you all again soon at a gathering, its been a brilliant couple of weeks.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Little Fool wrote:Me and Mrs LF also sang "oh why's that ?" during Red Shoes as we have done at all four gigs
We are tone-setters, one and all! Great gig - agree that the Anvil is a great venue - never been there before. Yes, Verbal, he did add some lyrics at the end of PLU. Wonder what they were?