Elvis, solo, plays Salisbury, England , May 30 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, plays Salisbury, England , May 30 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Little Fool

Re: Elvis, solo, plays Salisbury, England , May 30 2015

Post by Little Fool »

I'm lucky enough to have tickets, this is the closest to home for me on the current tour.
See some of the usual 'forum faces' hopefully.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Little Fool wrote: See some of the usual 'forum faces' hopefully.
I shall be there with my "forum face" on.

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Salisbury

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Cheap Reward
03. Watch Your Step
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Ascension Day
06. Church Underground
07. 45
08. Either Side Of The Same Town
09. Come The Meantimes
10. Shipbuilding - on piano
11. He's Given Me Things - on piano
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
13. Ghost Train
14. She
15. Watching The Detectives
16. When I Write The Book - including Everyday I Write The Book
Encore 1
17. Oliver's Army
18. Sleep Of The Just
19. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
Encore 2
20. Pump It Up - inside TV
21. Alison - inside TV
Encore 3
22. Almost Blue - on piano
23. Side By Side - on piano
24. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
25. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Start time: 20:10
End time: 22:00
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/littletri ... 3712848292

https://instagram.com/p/3VfUknv6eX/

Photo tweeted by the same photographer, Matt Spracklen

An explanation for Elvis high ticket prices - this tweeted photo claims to show how much transport is needed for his stage set

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

johnfoyle wrote:An explanation for Elvis high ticket prices - this tweeted photo claims to show how much transport is needed for his stage set
For a solo show, there is a lot of "stuff" on stage, including two large megaphones (any of which would be useful for a rowing coach), a blue chair (obviously), a standard lamp, the "On Air" sign, half a dozen guitar stands (we counted ten guitars and a mandolin in all to choose from last night, including a reappearance for the red jazzmaster), the mike stands, the effects pedals, a loudhailer (for WTD), the stand for the Ipad teleprompter, and the TV set itself, which becomes a stage at one point. There also seemed to be three mixing desks, one for the lighting, one for the sound and one for the visuals on the TV, which Elvis can call up on cue (e.g. a photo of his father or grandfather). One of the flight cases on the stage had "Diana Krall" stamped on it, so perhaps he's borrowing a mike or monitor. I hope the piano is not travelling with Elvis as it looked distinctly sub-standard, but sounded OK.

Also parked behind the theatre there was the black "Beat The Streets" tour bus, presumably for the crew, and a black Mercedes with driver for EC.

There is a merchandise stall at these shows (which presumably also needs to go in the van) with a new Detour T shirt with the UK venues printed on the back. A snip at £20.

MOOT
Happiness_Stan1968

Post by Happiness_Stan1968 »

What a fantastic first night! Great setlist! Only marred by the fact that if you were, like me, seated on the far right, then EC was rather invisible when he sat behind the piano!

Elvis seemed to be having fun with the TV and other assorted stage props and this was rather infectious. Highlights for me were Ghost train, When I write the book, Jimmy standing in the rain and the entertaining effects pedal driven version of Detectives that almost threatened to go out of control, plus the sit down section with the genuine warmth of the storytelling about Ross MacManus.

Shame I'm not going to any of the others. (unless I win the Plymouth competition, thanks for the tip-off John). Thanks to whoever it was who kindly took a picture of me with Elvis after the show.

Tried out new camera and will attempt to post some photos. Can't promise they'll be as good as the ones already posted but they're interesting…
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Great photos!
Happiness_Stan1968

Post by Happiness_Stan1968 »

Glad you like them. This was the first time using my digital camera. I used to take loads with my old SLR (35mm film). It was a lot easier to change settings in low light with the old one! Next time : there will be more colour and they'll be brighter.
erey

Post by erey »

johnfoyle wrote:
An explanation for Elvis high ticket prices - this tweeted photo claims to show how much transport is needed for his stage set

I assume this was humor. I happened to get a look at the unloaded gear at one the shows I saw this March and it might have filled half of one of these. Maybe UK labor union rules? :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A uncropped version of Matt Spracklen's photo of Elvis Costello in Salisbury.

http://www.mattspracklen.com/#weddings1

The cropped version from Instagram is used - without a credit - on Elvis's site , but , confusingly, with a review of the Birmingham show.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/elvis ... -31515/709
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/1164 ... Day-5.html

Elvis Costello performing at Salisbury City Hall Photo: Adrian Harris

Matthew Stadlen 03 Jun 2015

(extract)

The headline act of this year’s Salisbury Festival turned up in a dark suit and white hat. Elvis Costello (ne Declan Patrick MacManus), the veteran English singer songwriter, filled City Hall on the middle Friday. (Saturday , actually -JF) I did at one point - and I’ve done a lot of soul-searching since - wonder whether I’d stumbled into a karaoke evening. His voice, sometimes shouty, sometimes painful, didn’t always seem to be in tune and even if it was, it certainly wasn’t always tuneful.

That must just be his schtick, I said to myself. He was certainly very good on the guitar and I’m sure his fans - who sang gently back to him during an early song - thought he was brilliant. There was humour to his performance, too, although I did wonder whether he was trying a little bit too hard to be cool.

Despite some pleasant, maybe even beautiful passages, I slipped away around half way through. Elvis Costello, I learned, just wasn’t for me. I enjoyed two or three of the songs, but give me Paul Simon or Leonard Cohen any day.

One man who certainly is a Costello fan is Labour MP Alan Johnson. So much so that he apparently arranged to meet the singer backstage after the show. I’d interviewed Johnson twice at the Arts Centre that afternoon. A second event had been arranged after his first proved a sell-out. During one of the interviews, when I suggested that the result of the General Election might have been very different had he been at the helm, there was a spontaneous round of applause.