How long have you gone 'without'?

Pretty self-explanatory
taz
Site Admin

How long have you gone 'without'?

Post by taz »

I realized a couple days ago that I don't think I've listened to Elvis in about a month and a half...what has been the longest "drought" you've gone without The Man?
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I go through periods of time where I listen to different music...I make so many mix cds...for my car that some song of his always crops up on one..

I'd probably say about a month or so...because when I get into something new....I tend to play their music into the ground..until I go back into the normal swing of things...

Oye vey..that was a ramble...
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

Prolly about a week. I was on vacation. Didn't really listen to anymusic...
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't think it's even been more than a couple of weeks, but I also go through phases where I find I neglect a particular artist I still consider a favourite. I almost always end up coming back to them though.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

taz wrote:I realized a couple days ago that I don't think I've listened to Elvis in about a month and a half...what has been the longest "drought" you've gone without The Man?
A month and a half! Tell me, what were you in for?!?!
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

the 10 days that i went to the iguazu falls....last september.......
.......my friends couldn´t stand any more of me humming many of costello´s tunes........
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, since the big EC epiphany this past March, it's not been more than a handful of days at a time without his music. I carry KOA just about everywhere - it picks me up when I'm down and there's a song for just about any mood I'm ever in on that cd.

It might wear off eventually, but I just don't know.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I have gone months without listening to EC but not since Spooky's
epiphany. :D

Weird though it may sound I tend not to be able to listen to much
music at all except when Spooky and I are in a moving vehicle.
Since I only commute in my car (20 minutes tops), I may listen
to the same one or two CDs for weeks at a time. Right now, IJoe Jackson Vol 4 is in the deck and the only other CD in the car
is When I was Cruel. I am about due to swap the JJ and EC.

I have made a few MP3 mixes for the car and those can take
months to get worn out on.

--DrSpooky
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

I doubt I've gone longer than a week in the last 10 years. My Ex was as big an Elvis fan as I am so we heard him all the time, and her leaving me gave me even more reason to listen.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

More to the point how long do you go without coming onto and posting on the board?

I've got a terrible addiction...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Usually not more than a few weeks.

As for the website, unless Im out of town without computer access, not more than half a day . . .

. . . does that qualify as an addiction? :oops:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

More than a year I think. I went through a period a few years ago where all I listened to was jazz. Think it was during EC's "beard years." I remember seeing his appearance on Saturday Night Live and being shocked. Was that embroidered cap ugly or what?

The nice thing is that once I dived back into his work a few years ago, there was lots of new stuff to discover. Apart from the SNL performance of "So Like Candy" I had not heard anything from Mighty Like A Rose until I bought the Rhino re-issue. It's not on of his greatest records, but there's a lot of stuff on there that I really love.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Before joining Oliver's Army and this board, I wnet a couple of years between listening to All This Useless Beauty and anything. I listened to Painted From Memory and For the Stars when they came out, hated both of them, and kind of looked elsewhere for a while. Probably at least a solid year.

But I always come back to Thgis Year's Model before too long. And once Oliver's Army started, I don't even go more than a day or two. Still not sick of his music, even though I listen all the time.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

IM AN ELVIS ADDICT AND PROUD OF IT! :D

There - ive said it!! Never gone longer than a couple of weeks in the last 26 years!! :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I've only gone a week or so, but that's when Im on holiday....

for example, this summer I was in the SW USA, and listened to Alison/Veronica (no not the airhostesses) on the plane songloop...then I went a week and a half with no Elv, then went to the Vegas concert, then bought the Willie Nelson and friends CD for the car, then back on the plane for those Alison/Veronica...

but at home, never more than a day or so..

You'd expect that as most of us are so obsessed we write on a forum devoted to the bloke, not many people are gonna say...''oh I cant remember the last time I dusted off my old EPs!''
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Agreed Laughingcrow...but there have been a couple times in the last few weeks where I've actually *cringed* at the thought of listening to him at all. Of course that's probably my fault for indulging too much in too short of a time period....
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

2000 was a lonely year for my EC LPs. Dunno why, think I overdosed between April and the end of the year following the Lonely World date in '99. Then I saw him again in 2001...twice in 2002, with WIWC....again this year...too many reissues....new album... Excessive EC time again, methinks. But this board wasn't around then so that's not gonna stop me spouting rubbish.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Back in 1978 it was 3 hours!
As late as 1996 it was 8 hours!
These days it might be 3-4 days!!!!
What's wrong with this picture?
I'm getting old!!!
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

With all his talk of how long we've gone without..

I'm tempted to go on an Elvis strike..

Wait...I haven't really listened to him in a few days..cos it's close to Halloween..and at Halloween I must listen to Oingo Boingo.. So maybe I already have..and just didn't know it.

So..let's see how long I can last...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Elfslut wrote:With all his talk of how long we've gone without..

I'm tempted to go on an Elvis strike..

Wait...I haven't really listened to him in a few days..cos it's close to Halloween..and at Halloween I must listen to Oingo Boingo.. So maybe I already have..and just didn't know it.

So..let's see how long I can last...
Wow. Oingo Boingo. Haven't heard any of their stuff in ages. I remember digging their first couple of records - wasn't there an EP with some kind of demonic cat on the front?
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

Yeah..it was the cat you see in psychology textbooks...

The tracks were

Only A Lad
Ain't This the Life
I'm So Bad
Violent Love

Always great fun music...wish Danny Elfman would go back to that on the side...

I enjoy his film scores..but his "pop/rock" music (whatever you want to call it) was just fun ...and an amusing listen..

Especially the song Insects!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Elfslut wrote:Yeah..it was the cat you see in psychology textbooks...

The tracks were

Only A Lad
Ain't This the Life
I'm So Bad
Violent Love

Always great fun music...wish Danny Elfman would go back to that on the side...

I enjoy his film scores..but his "pop/rock" music (whatever you want to call it) was just fun ...and an amusing listen..

Especially the song Insects!
I remember that being one of the first albums I bought. I was a big Devo fan at the time too. Both very underrated bands.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

Very true...and as they went on..they really did some great stuff.

The 80's saw them sounding more like new wave..but

89's Dark at the End of the Tunnel was fantastic..and so was the self titled Boingo Album from 94

Really a good band that should have had more exposure..Most people that know of them are from the West Coast too..which makes me an oddity...being from PA
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Elfslut wrote:Very true...and as they went on..they really did some great stuff.

The 80's saw them sounding more like new wave..but

89's Dark at the End of the Tunnel was fantastic..and so was the self titled Boingo Album from 94

Really a good band that should have had more exposure..Most people that know of them are from the West Coast too..which makes me an oddity...being from PA
Yeah, I'm an LA guy originally, so that's how I got into them. They got a lot of exposure on KROQ, which was the big "alternative" station in LA at that time (and may still be - I don't know since I left for the East Coast in 1987). There were so many great bands coming out of LA in the early to mid-eighties - X, The Blasters, Oingo Boingo, Los Lobos...
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

hey, i like Oingo Boingo too! east coaster here.

i've got the cd 'Dead Man's Party' - need to pull that out again and give it a few spins.

anybody for the Hoodoo Gurus? same vintage as Oingo Boingo.

mmmmm, college radio.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....