Ralph Stanley RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Ralph Stanley RIP

Post by FAVEHOUR »

locate your nearest Cracker Barrel now!.....

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/1939 ... stello.htm

Dave
Jack of All Parades

Re: Elvis to Guest on Ralph Stanley Album, Jan 2015

Post by Jack of All Parades »

There would appear to be enough material of potential interest on this disc[Welch and Rawlings, Buddy Miller, etc] to seemingly make it worth while to stop by the Cracker Barrel in the next town over on the 15th. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Red Wicked Wine"? Could this be the mysterious "Wicked Wine" played with the Sugarcanes one time five years ago??

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 06-14_Cary
And No Coffee Table

Bluegrass Today says the entire album was recorded in November.

Ralph Stanley's original version of the song (written by John Preston):

I'm pretty sure this is the same song played with the Sugarcanes, since it matches pophead2k's description of "something about wine, prison, etc."
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

FYI, Jim Lauderdale and Buddy Miller produced this disc. I'm sure it will be superb.
And No Coffee Table

This is out today (but shipping is at least $7.99 if you buy from the Cracker Barrel website).

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/Ralph-Sta ... B00S1QR8T6
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Definitely want this one... But Cracker Barrel.. Bummer. What's up with that? Been there and the food is pretty bad. I think it's a big southern chow down outpost. Will get my hands on this eventually.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The only 'international' option for deliveries that seems to be available is , er, 'Canada'.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (206.13 KiB) Viewed 23970 times
The album as a whole has a sweetness and a whiff of elegy about it-an elder's testament. I will always take a good version of "Rank Stranger" and this record does not disappoint. The best material on the record are the songs about people going off the straight and narrow. The best of those is "Pig in a Pen" featuring Gillian Welch and David Rawlings- EC's song is over too quickly-a tale of a life gone off the rails and a hard earned retribution. One of the stronger covers I have heard by him in years as he does accomplished close harmony with Mr. Stanley[channeling "Lost Highway" and perhaps his own time spent 'in the woods' during the early years of his career. It appears he did not travel down to Tennessee to record but did his work at Electric Lady Studios in NYC.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

The 30 seconds snippet here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Wine-feat- ... icked+wine

is lovely.!!!

I want to buy track, but here in UK am unable so to do, from Cracked shop, or iTunes, or amazon (although I am a good customer of am. USA and UK, and iTunes UK. Not on Spottie either/anywhere.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... Nope, apart from 3 X 30 second SNIPPETS shared in UK by Soulseek (allegedly-reportedly myself as usual), we in UK are still unable to buy or even hear this 'Red wicked wine' right through. PLEASE DPAM remember whence you originated, and let us pay you even more.

Thanks for the music-sharing - we are happy to pay, as when my Dylan Bootleg 11 6CD set cost me only £54 from Am.US to UK ...
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Got a copy yesterday. Bit of a haul getting there (not exactly in my neighborhood) but the shop had a TON of copies in stock. It's clearly being heavily promoted by them. Didn't stay for lunch.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Lovely - am sure it will be excellent - I look forward to time we in UK can buy it.

Hope all are ok in weather ...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Having failed to buy CD or digital download song 'RWW' 777000 times from all usual sellers, I almost got lucky by ordering CD from Cracker Barrel ... cheesed off still - can't sell to UK, even via their side-buddies amazon.com, from whom I purchase happily lots.

It would be nice to hear complete EC/Ralph 'RWW' - so far, my 3 different 30 sec snippets have 'moved' many times ...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for all of your help (none).

The wav and 320kps mp3 are allegedly right now/most mornings UK W/D shared SOULSEEK reportedly.

Elvis Costello - Red wicked wine.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Mike Tandrow for getting me this - great start to the week!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis in the Grammy Nominations for 2016 , thanks to his guesting on Ralph's album.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... eakingnews

Best Bluegrass Album
• Pocket Full Of Keys
Dale Ann Bradley
[Pinecastle Records]

• Before The Sun Goes Down
Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley
[Compass Records Group]

• In Session
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
[Mountain Home Music Company]

• Man Of Constant Sorrow
Ralph Stanley & Friends
[Red River Entertainment]

• The Muscle Shoals Recordings
The Steeldrivers
[Rounder]
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis to Guest on Ralph Stanley Album, Jan 2015 - Grammy nominee!

Music legend Ralph Stanley dead at 89
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:35 pm | Updated: 8:56 pm, Thu Jun 23, 2016.
by David McGee

Ralph Stanley, the legendary banjo player who helped establish the bluegrass music genre died tonight. He was 89.
Family members have confirmed that Stanley, who began playing music with his late brother Carter in 1946 as leaders of the Clinch Mountain Boys, had been battling cancer.

His grandson Nathan Stanley posted this on his Facebook page: "My heart is broken into pieces. My papaw, my dad, and the greatest man in the world, Dr. Ralph Stanley has went home to be with Jesus just a few minutes ago. He went peacefully in his sleep due to a long, horrible battle with skin cancer. I feel so lost and so alone right now. He was my world, and he was my everything. He was always there for me no matter what. I just cannot get a grip on this. My Papaw was loved by millions of fans from all around the world, and he loved all of you."

The Stanley Brothers, along with Bill Monroe are credited with developing bluegrass music in the 1940s and 50s. He embarked on a solo career and revived the Clinch Mountain Boys in the 1960s after his brother died.

More recently Stanley helped lead a revival of roots music through the soundtrack of the 2000 film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Stanley was inducted into the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Honor in 1992 and became the first person to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 2000.

"It's a sad day for our region," said Leah Ross, executive director of the Bristol-based Birthplace of Country Music. "We're here at the museum tonight with our Farm & Fun Time show and Dr. Stanley was so instrumental in the success of that show many years ago. He was such an amazing artist and a great promoter of our region."

He was a native of Dickenson County, Va., and the Ralph Stanley Museum operates in Clintwood.