The New Basement Tapes radio performances

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

The New Basement Tapes radio performances

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/anne_litt/status/532748133172658176
Still dizzy after interview & live session w/ @newbsmnttapes earlier today. We present it 11/17-11am @mbeKCRW. Please join for music & joy!
It should eventually appear on the show's website:
http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning ... s-eclectic

KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic is the same show which hosted an EC/Imposters session in 2004.
And No Coffee Table

Re: The New Basement Tapes radio performances

There are at least two other New Basement Tapes radio appearances to watch out for.

A "live session" for KCSN reportedly aired November 13 at 5:00 PM. It is scheduled for rebroadcast November 15 at 1:00 PM PST and "also will be available online in the Archives at www.kcsn.org."

A session for SiriusXM was recorded at Capitol Studios on the morning of November 14. The Los Angeles Times reports the broadcast date as November 12, which I am quite sure is impossible. I assume we'll find out the real broadcast date soon.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Just caught the tail end of the KCSN broadcast.

Sky Daniels is interviewing Elvis, Rhiannon Giddens, Marcus Mumford, Jim James and Taylor Goldsmith about the New Basement Tapes recording and performances.

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote:Just caught the tail end of the KCSN broadcast.

Sky Daniels is interviewing Elvis, Rhiannon Giddens, Marcus Mumford, Jim James and Taylor Goldsmith about the New Basement Tapes recording and performances.

MOOT
No live music, but a very interesting interview:

https://soundcloud.com/docinwestchester ... sn-webcast
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:A session for SiriusXM was recorded at Capitol Studios on the morning of November 14. The Los Angeles Times reports the broadcast date as November 12, which I am quite sure is impossible. I assume we'll find out the real broadcast date soon.
The print version of that L.A. Times article says it will premiere Friday the 21st.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Article by Hannah Karp in the Wall Street Journal from November 14th, about the recording for Sirius XM.

Supergroup the New Basement Tapes Plays Dylan Ditties, Talks Shop

An all-star band that released its debut album this week has already played its final show.

The New Basement Tapes – a group assembled to put music to a trove of recently discovered Bob Dylan lyrics – serenaded a couple dozen Sirius XM satellite radio subscribers at an intimate concert on Friday. During the session, held in a recording studio in Hollywood ‘s circular Capitol Records building, the band members also answered questions about how they approached the daunting task.

The reclusive Mr. Dylan, 73 years old, blessed the project, and his music publisher sent the lyrics to producer T Bone Burnett. Nonetheless, some of the musicians said they were initially overwhelmed y the pressure of trying to write Bob Dylan-quality songs, and tried not to think about how Mr. Dylan would have sung them himself.

“We had to put it out of our heads, and we did what Bob Dylan would do: not think twice,” said Taylor Goldsmith, of the folk-rock band Dawes, explained during the performance.

Each of the ensemble members – which include Elvis Costello, Mumford & Sons singer Marcus Mumford, My Morning Jacket’s Jim James and the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ Rhiannon Giddens– studied the songs and prepared their own melodies before convening for a two-week writing and recording session at the Capitol tower earlier this year, though some did less prep work than others, as Mr. Mumford admits on a documentary film airing on Showtime this fall.

In the studio, they recorded multiple versions of each song, at times grappling with each other’s disparate songwriting styles, such as Mr. Costello’s tendency to use what seems like dozens of different chords in a single song, one collaborator gripes in the film. The group wrote more than 50 songs in total, Mr. Costello said, and 20 of those appear on the album, “Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes.”

The title is a reference to Mr. Dylan’s original “Basement Tapes,” an album he spontaneously recorded in 1967 in the basement of his Woodstock, N.Y., home with the musicians that went onto form the Band.

On Friday, the New Basement Tapes members also discussed when their own love affairs with Mr. Dylan’s music began. Mr. Costello said his Dylan obsession was sparked by one of his old girlfriends’ buddies, “one of those dramatic girls who liked to cry a lot and listen to Cat Stevens.” Probably just to look cool, he said, she used to tote around a copy of Mr. Dylan’s “Blonde on Blonde” record. “I don’t think she ever listened to it,” Mr. Costello said, but he was nonetheless intrigued.

So what does Bob himself think of the album?

The question drew an awkward silence from the temporary bandmates. “Bob who?” Mr. Mumford finally joked.

Larry Jenkins, a media consultant to Mr. Dylan who served as executive producer of the film and album, fielded the question after the fans dispersed.

“We’ve heard that he’s heard” the record, Mr. Jenkins said. “No news is good news.”

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://twitter.com/anne_litt/status/532748133172658176
Still dizzy after interview & live session w/ @newbsmnttapes earlier today. We present it 11/17-11am @mbeKCRW. Please join for music & joy!
It should eventually appear on the show's website:
http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning ... s-eclectic

KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic is the same show which hosted an EC/Imposters session in 2004.
They played six songs:

1. Married To My Hack (EC)
2. When I Get My Hands On You (Mumford)
3. Florida Key (Goldsmith)
4. Spanish Mary (Giddens)
5. Down On The Bottom (James)
6. Kansas City (Mumford)

There was also an interview with the New Basement Tapes and T Bone.
docinwestchester

And No Coffee Table wrote:
They played six songs:

1. Married To My Hack (EC)
2. When I Get My Hands On You (Mumford)
3. Florida Key (Goldsmith)
4. Spanish Mary (Giddens)
5. Down On The Bottom (James)
6. Kansas City (Mumford)

There was also an interview with the New Basement Tapes and T Bone.
http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning ... ment-tapes

Or listen here. Excellent performances:

https://soundcloud.com/docinwestchester ... 2014-11-12
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Extra verse added to "Hack", if I'm not mistaken.....

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Doc - listening now.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Indeed - ta for Soundcloud audio of extra-bittee EC 'MTMH'.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
docinwestchester

Last edited by docinwestchester on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Extra verse added to "Hack", if I'm not mistaken.....

Dave
Definitely a new verse, but at first listen it doesn't seem like it'll be easy to transcribe! At least not by me.

I would guess it's fully written by EC, as it doesn't appear on the manuscript (which ended midway through the
"Gimme a bottle or someone to throttle" line.
And No Coffee Table

The Gentleman wrote:Definitely a new verse, but at first listen it doesn't seem like it'll be easy to transcribe! At least not by me.
I hear:

Heavens to Betsy and Hell to Jim
How many deaths were caused by him
Now Betsy wouldn't marry no jerk
She was looking for a man who would like to work
So she went off and married a manacle(?) clerk

"Manacle" is probably wrong, but I think the rest is right.

He seems to have credited Dylan with the verse in the KCSN interview (at 4:45):

"Bob clearly was writing a lot of lyrics because when we came to the studio, we were shown the box file in which the leftover lyrics, after they had written all these songs and all the ones that are now available currently. There were lots more. There were even more. We were given 16 originally. Then we turned up at the studio, there were another 8 for us to consider, and there were still more. There were still more. Even yesterday we were in the studio and we just looked and found another verse to add to a song because there were some other lyrics."

The KCSN interview was Thursday, so "yesterday" was Wednesday, when the KCRW session was recorded.

The extra verse was also played at the Montalban Theater Thursday night.
And No Coffee Table

Broadcast times for the Sirius XM appearance:
Airing Friday 11/21 at 7 pm ET on The Spectrum, Ch. 28
Replaying Saturday 11/22 at noon ET and 8 pm ET, Sunday 11/23 at 6 pm ET, Monday 11/24 at noon ET, Tuesday 11/25 at 9 am ET, Wednesday 11/26 at 3 am ET, Thursday 11/26 at 10 am ET, 2 pm ET and 10 pm ET and Friday 11/28 at 10 pm ET.
http://blog.siriusxm.com/2014/11/19/the ... revisited/

The link also includes some interview clips.
docinwestchester

And No Coffee Table wrote:Broadcast times for the Sirius XM appearance:
Airing Friday 11/21 at 7 pm ET on The Spectrum, Ch. 28
Replaying Saturday 11/22 at noon ET and 8 pm ET, Sunday 11/23 at 6 pm ET, Monday 11/24 at noon ET, Tuesday 11/25 at 9 am ET, Wednesday 11/26 at 3 am ET, Thursday 11/26 at 10 am ET, 2 pm ET and 10 pm ET and Friday 11/28 at 10 pm ET.
http://blog.siriusxm.com/2014/11/19/the ... revisited/

The link also includes some interview clips.
Thanks for the reminder!
docinwestchester

And No Coffee Table wrote:A session for SiriusXM was recorded at Capitol Studios on the morning of November 14. The Los Angeles Times reports the broadcast date as November 12, which I am quite sure is impossible. I assume we'll find out the real broadcast date soon.
Listen here:

FLAC's here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/igij7d ... M_LA%2C_CA
docinwestchester

Here is the alternate version of Hidee Hidee Ho. Elvis calls it the "bootleg volume 2" version during Sirius XM broadcast. EC wants "One Forty" - ie, 1 minute 40 seconds:

blureu

Post by blureu »

Upcoming NPR World Cafe session:

Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Elvis Costello, Jim James, Marcus Mumford and more revive lost Bob Dylan lyrics as The New Basement Tapes.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sweet. David Dye is going to be digging it for sure (if it hasn't already been recorded). And guaranteed to be world's apart from his interview with Bongo, oh I mean, Bono. That seemed canned right from Bongo's PR firm. Poor Bongo, he is still trying to salvage himself after the iTunes fiasco.
docinwestchester

Here's the World Cafe broadcast, featuring the world premiere of "Down On The Bottom (Costello version)" at 25:25!

Setlist:
01 talk
02 Down On The Bottom
03 talk
04 Liberty Street
05 talk
06 Duncan And Jimmy
07 talk
08 Kansas City
09 talk
10 Down On The Bottom (Costello version)
11 talk

Hey ANCT, any idea on the recording date here? I can't find it on the interwebs. According to TNBT facebook, this was recorded at Capitol Studios.
Last edited by docinwestchester on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thanks!!
docinwestchester