Free New Basement Tapes show, LA, Nov. 13 '14

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Free New Basement Tapes show, LA, Nov. 13 '14

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/john ... 201356787/

Johnny Depp, Jim James, Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford & More Bring Bob Dylan’s ‘Basement Tapes’ to Concert
By Steve Chagollan

At the Montalban in Hollywood on Thursday night, patrons were treated to the first, and by some accounts the only, live performance of songs from the T Bone Burnett-produced “Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes,” released Nov. 10 on Harvest Records. All the principals on that album were there on stage: Jim James, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith and Marcus Mumford — all multi-instrumentalists, all solo artists in their own right.

Not unlike Burnett’s celebration of music from the Coen Brothers’ paean to the early folk scene in Greenwich Village, “Inside Llewyn Davis,” last November at the Buffalo Club in Santa Monica, this show felt like a private party to which only a lucky few were invited. It was also a hastily assembled affair, arranged just a few days in advance (“we didn’t know about this yesterday,” claimed Mumford at one point), and the whole show had the feeling of a loose jam in which ideas were being tossed back and forth freely, with all the raw energy that a barely rehearsed gig might offer when you’ve got seasoned musicians given a new bag of toys to play with.

That bag, of course, contained never-recorded tunes by Bob Dylan, written during the fecund period of the original Basement Tape sessions in 1967, when Dylan holed up with the Band in and around Woodstock, N.Y., writing and recording a whole mess of tunes only heard on bootlegs until many of them were officially released by Columbia in 1975.

For the new sessions, each artist used Dylan’s lyrics as a blank canvas for their own musical interpretation, and many of the results are something truly special to behold. At the Montalban (an intimate venue named after the actor who played Mr. Roarke on “Fantasy Island”), the music was given an added dose of vitality.

James — the frontman of My Morning Jacket whose version of Dylan’s “Goin’ to Acapulco” provided one of the highlights to Todd Haynes’ impressionistic Dylan biopic “I’m Not There” — looked every bit the fiery prophet on stage, with his long-flowing hair and Jesus beard. James’ atmospheric electric guitar provided the sonic wash over the mostly acoustic instrumentation, and his vocals most directly channeled the source, ranging from the nasal twang of Dylan’s “Nashville Skyline” period to the evangelistic wail reminiscent of Dylan’s “Before the Flood” tour with The Band.

Some of the songs were even given multiple treatments, like “Hidee Hidee Ho” and “Kansas City,” with styles that spanned from folk to country to psychedelic rock. In keeping with Burnett’s dedication to all things analog, the instruments were distinctly rootsy, from Giddens’ dynamic fiddle and banjo playing to the saloon piano sound of Goldsmith’s keyboards.

During the finale, the Haim Sisters provided choral backup, and Johnny Depp joined the proceedings on guitar. But this was one joyous occasion that needed no celebrity window dressing.

Also Thursday, Showtime and CAA hosted a premiere of the net’s “Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued,” which chronicles the making of the record. Director Sam Jones was in attendance at CAA’s Ray Kurtzman Theater with Rande Gerber, Cindy Crawford, Bill Lawrence and Christa Miller.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=510425

EC can be heard etc doing 'Down on the bottom' ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

EC 'Down on the bottom' is of course shared suitably it is said via Dime/Soulseek (at certain times of the UK morning w/d week).
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

That Johnny Depp . . . . he maka me cry.

Anyone else think he seems a little out of place in this?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

EC doin' 'Down on the bottom' = Soulseek many UK mornings ...
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Jim James getting wild on Florida Key! Love it.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I see professionals filming and recording, do we anticipate some footage being made available, at least as much as the Roots did with the Brooklyn show last year?
The pro footage finally surfaced.

Golden Tom - Silver Judas (EC):

Down On The Bottom (Jim James): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXEG6kY96E
Spanish Mary (Rhiannon Giddens): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgrLpvj3-0
Florida Key (Taylor Goldsmith): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dRNAPxohM
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Thanks for the links. having trouble downloading these, maybe because the media is protected. This entire video should be released as it looks like it will be a one off live performance of this group. If anyone could extract the mp4 it would be sweet.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

The imposter wrote:Thanks for the links. having trouble downloading these, maybe because the media is protected. This entire video should be released as it looks like it will be a one off live performance of this group. If anyone could extract the mp4 it would be sweet.
I tried. No luck either.

Yes, an official Blu-ray would be amazing.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

maybe to be included in the deluxe version of VOLUME TWO??
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Short review that was published in LA Weekly, on November 14, 2014.

"SUPERGROUP THE NEW BASEMENT TAPES PERFORMS BOB DYLAN SONGS @ THE MONTALBAN

A historic night in music was witnessed by just 900 invited guests when The New Basement Tapes — a supergroup formed to put melody to Bob Dylan’s unheard lyrics — played their first and possibly only live show last Thursday Night at the Montalban theater. Made up of Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Dawes' Taylor Goldsmith and Rhiannon Giddens of Carolina Chocolate Drops, the group performed songs that were recorded in the basement of Capitol Record over the course of twelve days. The songs' lyrics were written in 1967 and 1968 by Bob Dylan. As an added bonus, the Haim sisters sang backup on several numbers and Johnny Depp played guitar.
2014-11-13 Los Angeles photo credit Star Foreman
2014-11-13 Los Angeles photo credit Star Foreman
2014-11-13 Los Angeles photo 01 sf.jpg (71.26 KiB) Viewed 17270 times
Photo credit: Star Foreman

MOOT