Blood & Chocolate and Goodbye Cruel World on vinyl 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Blood & Chocolate and Goodbye Cruel World on vinyl 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

Mobile Fidelity is going to rerelease Blood & Chocolate and Goodbue Cruel World on vinyl on December 9, 2014:

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Chocolate-E ... s+costello

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Cruel-Wor ... s+costello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Blood & Chocolate and Goodbye Cruel World on vinyl 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I love The deportees, Great Unknown and even more madly Sour Milk Cow Blues , besides the great songs Love Field and Home Truth so I might indulge in this. Would have been a great album re-recorded with the Costello Show line up. Just might indulge in this before the magnificent B&C., a monster of an album which sounds brilliant on the German White vinyl pressing played really LOUD !!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just chipping in to Sulky's post to agree with him about Blood & Choc! Always in my top 3 Elvis albums! Xxx
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Not the easiest editions to get when you're in Europe :(
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Have seen it fairly regularly when Loki g in record shops in the UK , can't answer for the rest of the world. Picked my copy up in about 1987 in a tiny record (vinyl ) shop in Guildford
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Ymaginatif wrote:Not the easiest editions to get when you're in Europe :(
This seems like a good place to keep in mind: https://esecurepayments.co.uk/epages/es ... s+Costello

I ordered 9 ... :wink:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

"Trust" is available for pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Trust-Elvis-Coste ... s+costello

Mastered from the Original Master Tapes: Mobile Fidelity 180g LP Enhances the Realism of the Songs' Advanced Arrangements and Nimble Accents

1981's Trust Mixes R&B Rhythms and New-Wave Melodies: Includes ''Clubland,'' ''Watch Your Step,'' and ''Strict Time''

The album cover to Trust speaks volumes: Elvis Costello, bathed in shadows, his eyes nervously peering out from behind his sunglasses, conveying a combination of edgy noir purpose and guilt-ridden anxiety. Indeed, the tension-rich songs within largely convey the opposite meanings of the diverse record's title. The British icon muses on what lies beyond arrogant youth and immediate success with a jaundiced, scarred perspective informed by his country's political climate and his own experiences. As is often the case with great albums, Trust - which retains a five-star
rating from Rolling Stone - didn't spawn a Top 40 hit at the time of its release. Yet age has been more than kind to the effort Costello said aimed to cross the rhythms of Get Happy!! with the melodies on Armed Forces, and which more than achieves that exacting goal. Made in a haze of booze and pills, the 1981 set delves into issues of disillusionment, romance, and sin with barbed wit and unvarnished honesty.

Mastered from the original master tapes and pressed at RTI, Mobile Fidelity's transparent analog reissue lets music lovers in on the record's secrets via unsurpassed clarity and breathtaking immediacy. Whether the full, rounded tones of Bruce Thomas' bass or complete extension and decay of Steve Nieve's organ, every instrumental accent is delivered with lifelike detail and superb balance. Melodicas, drums, pianos, and guitars similarly come across faithfully and richly, the blend freed of constricting sonic veils and dynamic compression. Heard anew on this definitive pressing, Trust emerges as one of the most satisfyingly complex and expertly played albums of its era.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fantastic review from Scott Nagle
http://snvinyl.co.uk/Elvis-Costello-Blo ... te-180g-LP

[quoteMobile Fidelity - MFSL 1-433 - 180 Gram Virgin Vinyl - 821797143318

Numbered Limited Edition - Pressed at RTI

Half Speed Mastered on the Mobile Fidelity The Gain 2 Ultra Analog System

Known in his youth as the "angry young man," Elvis Costello waited until 1986 to create the most vicious record of his career. Stripped to the studs and produced by Nick Lowe, Blood and Chocolate seethes with vindictiveness, spite, and rancor. The 11-track effort clatters with raw rock n' roll menace and clangs with darkly humorous intent. Venomous, acerbic, and aggressive, it values rhythm and attack over harmony and melody. A volatile rite of passage on which harsh Telecaster riffs cut like razor blades and Costello spits words as if they were Molotov cocktails tossed at enemies, this is the satisfying sound of emotional catharsis.

Mastered from the original master tapes and pressed at RTI, this collectable edition of Blood and Chocolate joins Mobile Fidelity's acclaimed Costello reissues series in presenting the icon's vital records in rich, dynamic, three-dimensional analog sound. That's never been truer than it is here. Costello and Co. recorded the songs in a large room at London's Olympic Studios while playing at stage volumes, an unconventional approach that nonetheless suited the music's raw feel. Nearly every track was done in three takes or less, with minimal vocal fixes and overdubs added immediately afterward. Such energy, spark, force, and pace thrive on this reissue.

Capturing the decibel-laden atmosphere that heightens the rhythmic pace and elevates the urgency of the deliveries, Mobile Fidelity's 180g LP delivers the band's performances with wall-of-sound hugeness and booming authority. And while this isn't a record where subtlety reigns, listeners can now discern the acoustic guitar strummed by Lowe for the foundation of the savage "Uncomplicated" as well as the nuanced final bars of the inimitable "I Want You" on which each member's instrumental track is switched off to bleed into Costello's vocal microphone. Indeed, for all the apparent chaos, Steve Nieve's keyboards even get accurate placement and imaging on this incredible pressing. Then there's the temperament of the songs themselves—perhaps best described by Costello.

"The album title and Eamon Singer's crude cover painting reflected some intense and uncertain situations. The record might have well been a blurred polaroid: a smashed-up room, a squashed box of chocolates, some broken glass and a little blood smeared on the wall," wrote the singer in 2002. "The album [is] a pissed-off 32-year-old divorce's version of the musical blueprint with which I had begun my recording career with the Attractions." Indeed, the band—on the verge of fraying at the seams and at each other's throats in close confines—pummels twanging chords, beats up on notes, turns up amplifiers, and eyes everything with great suspicion.

Lyrically, Costello has seldom been wittier, sharper, or more malicious. The snarling, tables-turning "I Hope You're Happy Now" joins Bob Dylan's "Positively Fourth Street" as among the most lacerating kiss-off tunes ever penned. Similarly sarcastic, "Next Time Round" lends a pop rave-up air to the album's otherwise dark assault. The bloodletting "Crimes of Paris" and "Poor Napoleon" (featuring Pogues singer Cait O'Riordan playing the role of "the voice of pity") confront the consequences of traumatic relationships and lustful choices with a savvy intellect. Given the mood and mindset of everyone and everything involved, it's no surprise that Costello and the Attractions wouldn't again work together until eight years later. Saying that Blood and Chocolate was worth the sacrifice is an understatement.][/quote]